Godflesh -- San Francisco, CA -- April 20th, 2014
Warrior -- San Marcos, CA -- April 19th, 2014
Impaled -- Oakland, CA -- April 19th, 2014
Tankcrimes Brainsqueeze 2 -- Oakland, CA -- April 18th, 2014
Unearth -- Pontiac, MI -- April 17th, 2014

Go Back   WWW.METALSETLISTS.COM > Community Forums > Set Lists and Gig Reports

Old 03-28-2012, 06:15 PM
though the vocals can be a little to extreme for me some times

Yes, they were actually grabbing people by their throats. No fuckin' lies.

Thats why Ryan went apeshit on their ass.
Old 03-28-2012, 06:44 PM

So I decided to email many of the managers at Bottomlounge. Care to read.

Quote:
Hi,

I'd like to write your venue (this email is being sent to the person in charge of production and marketing/publicity as well as general info) about the Black Dahlia Murder show that took place Tuesday night March 27th,2012. During the show (mainly Black Dahlia Murder) I'd like to address how unprofessional your security was. I know your venue has the no stagediving / no crowdsurfing rule. Every venue has that rule but from how your security handled the show was uncalled for and extremely unprofessional. During the show I saw your employees grab patrons by the neck and drag them, on top of being overly aggressive to patrons who were posing no threat at all. Now this is not pertaining to just grown men that they were acting this way towards as I saw them act this was towards young kids as well girls.

Now you wonder why the band in such a extreme manner towards your security as they watched not only your employees disrespect the crowd but also disrespect them. Logically what threat does a young girl have when trying to just have fun at a show that she has to be grabbed by the neck and dragged off stage. Now I wouldn't just send this email to you without having many experiences at not only your venue but many other rock venues around the city and state. From what I saw though during your show was shocking and appalling though to think that the Bottom lounge condones that kind of ruthless aggression onto their patrons from security. The patrons that are not only paying to be there and have a good time but the same patrons that you would hopefully like to come back in the future for shows.

From what I saw though at that show I'm doubtful to ever come back as well as many people I know. From what I've seen online already many people at that show are now doubtful to ever come back to the venue as well as the bands that were playing. Why want to come back to a place to experience a good time when you know that the people there won't treat you with respect. Take note from other venues on how to handle a crowd or don't have shows there where you know the crowd has the potential to be wild. Next month you have a two day hardcore fest titled "The Rumble" coming to your venue. How do expect to control all the fans coming to that show knowing that the majority of them will attempt to stagedive and that the bands will openly encourage it.

In the future please learn to either employ security that knows what to do in a situation like that or stop having metal shows. I'll say it again, what I saw that night was the most unprofessional thing I've ever witnessed. The venue and everyone associated with it should take notice of what happened and make 100% sure that it never happens again for not only the sake of the venue but for the sake of the patrons inside. What would happen if when one of your security members grabbed someone the wrong way or mistreated them to the point where they were hurt. That would be a major lawsuit.

Overall though I do hope after reading this letter you can notice what went wrong that night and attempt to fix it. As much as I'd like to come back for future shows and recommend the venue I just can't knowing that there is a chance that the employees will mistreat me or others. Why take the chance when there are so many other venues that are known for treated their patrons right.

Thanks,

Alex
Old 03-28-2012, 06:53 PM
How you gonna rip it like this, son?!

Excellent. And I don't think I'll be going to Behemoth anymore just so I don't support these fucks. A lot of people wonder why I hate the Bottom Lounge so much... this is a perfect example.
Old 03-28-2012, 06:58 PM

I know I have to work during Behemoth so they don't get my money.

I really do want to see The Rumble and Oceano there though. Why do they have to suck!!!

And Garagemetal , have they always been like this?
Old 03-28-2012, 07:03 PM
How you gonna rip it like this, son?!

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcmetal108 View Post
I know I have to work during Behemoth so they don't get my money.

I really do want to see The Rumble and Oceano there though. Why do they have to suck!!!

And Garagemetal , have they always been like this?
Never seen them do something as horrible as grabbing people by the throats but the other employees are total pricks. I got shit talked a lot when I asked if I could go outside to smoke when I saw Immortal last year, just because I was under 21. Not to mention they ALWAYS cut openers short.
Old 03-28-2012, 07:06 PM

Yea this is the worst I've saw the employees. But I remember I got kicked out after a show trying to use the restroom and buy merch because I wasn't 21.

Then I was told to get off their property when I tried to stand inside the doors waiting for my ride since it was 20 degrees and I didn't have a coat.
Old 03-28-2012, 08:11 PM
rolling critical success on casting a level 7 stagedive

They might get a lawsuit for their security hurting someone... but I guarantee you it's nothing like the lawsuit they could face for the incident of one of the stagedivers getting paralyzed from the waist down. Which did happen last year; hence them implementing the rule. STILL, I agree 100% with your assessment; I hate the security there now. I personally stagedove 3 times and crowdsurfed twice near the end of Black Dahlia's set, astutely waiting until the security were tied down trying to kick someone out so I could just jump up on stage on the side and run over. There's definitely been way more stagediving at that venue. And I'm debating what security I hate more: them, or Reggie's. A couple of the bouncers at Reggie's seem kind of cool though, not antagonistic when they have to enforce the rules.

For me, I showed up right after Hour of Penance (). #fuckclass #fucktheCTA. Really wanted to see them. Anyway, nice meeting with all you guys again, and nice meeting Zach for the first time. Wish my boy Daimonos could have been there too; oh well. I bet we'll all be at Nasum or something. Skeletonwitch were definitely better this time than when I've seen them in the past; but they still didn't excite me a lot. Whatever, there seemed to be a lot of people enjoying them.

Nile were fucking excellent, as always. Yeah, I started the pit right when Kafir started. Come at me, bros. I was wearing my cutoff Harm's Way shirt. #coolhardcorebro #i'mafagfordoinghashtags. I actually saw another guy with a Harm's Way shirt after and we briefly talked about how amazing they were, and in the middle of the show I talked with this old hardcore bro in the back who was wearing a Warhound shirt! Great fucking band; we both complimented each other. Overall for Nile, I think I definitely enjoyed them way more when they headlined in 2010, but the set was still tits. I've seen all those songs live before, I think. Still, fucking Sarcophagus live is heavy as tits, and those riffs in Hittite Dung and Permitting the Noble dead = ! Wish I could have seen them longer.

Second time seeing Black Dahlia, and I've got to say that I enjoyed them waaaay more this time. Immediate rush towards the stage as soon as they started, and pretty decent pits the whole show. I really loved that set; very long, too. They played a fuckton off of Ritual! SO good. My only complaint on their set was the lack of a.) Statutory Ape, b.) Black Valor (I'd love to see that live), c.) more songs off of Miasma or Nocturnal. I really want to see Dave Goes to Hollywood before I die. Still, great show!

There's nothing more to be said about the security and stagediving; it's all true. For me, this could have been one of the best shows I've seen if I could have been diving for Black Dahlia the whole time. There was the perfect amount of people to dive on; you couldn't have hurt yourself unless you were a goddamn idiot. There were a couple kids who tried diving during Skeletonwitch, but they've obviously never seen a Sick Of It All video, 'cause I think they landed straight on their heads. People wouldn't get hurt stagediving if they would study how to do it correctly beforehand.

"Funeral Thirst" was actually "Unhallowed -> Funeral Thirst", which is always sweet. I miss how they had a slight resemblance of a breakdown in Unhallowed. So tits live! I think I might email the Bottom lounge later in the future about The Rumble, hardcore, what stagediving means, etc, later. I completely understand why they don't want it to happen, but it doesn't mean I agree with it.

Anyway, great show, cool review, glad I went. See ya guys next time.
Old 03-28-2012, 08:23 PM
N00B

i was at this show last night and boy was it insanity! For those who may remember, i was the guy with red bandana, black shorts, combat boots and Exhumed shirt.

I know garagemetal from here.

But boy where do i start with last night?! how many times did Ryan Knight stop what he was doing to aid the fans?! Major kudos to him. I even saw Brian arguing with some of th guards while he was playing his guitar as well. I get the idea of security doing their job, but these "guards" weren't doing that. So it was a good thing seeing the BL crew getting a taste of their own medicine.

First time seeing Hour Of Penance and Nile, both who were excellent!

BDM and the Witch were great as always as well
Old 03-28-2012, 08:43 PM
HEY! LISTEN!

Not a BDM fan, but I must say, that story is excellent.
Old 03-29-2012, 04:01 AM
Four graves...

This vaguely reminds me of when I saw Devildriver in 2010 with Suffocation and Goatwhore. I wasn't impressed with Devildriver live except for the fact that the House of Blues staff was getting rough with some of the crowd surfers and Dez noticed this and said something to the effect of "Hey, motherfucker, don't fuck with my fans or I'll come down there and kick your ass." Not exactly alike, but commendable all the same.

Also, I believe I said it when leaving the venue, but I'll reiterate. It was really awesome meeting you guys and I look forward to hanging at future shows.

Oh, and also:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcmetal108 View Post
Of course for me though "Beyond The Permafrost" was my greatest part of their set.
Fuck yes!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jd091 View Post
I really want to see Dave Goes to Hollywood before I die.
And fuck yes! Probably in my top 5 Black Dahlia songs.
5/3 Chthonic ?
5/3 Sadistic Intent
5/16 Slayer ?
5/16 War Master

Tags
hour of penance, nile, skeletonwitch, the black dahlia murder