Home Set Lists Forums The Permanent Record Asshole Opinion

High on Fire -- Los Angeles, CA -- August 19th, 2014
Nothing More -- Baltimore, MD -- August 18th, 2014
Boris -- Vancouver, British Columbia -- August 17th, 2014
Motley Crue -- Alpharetta, GA -- August 16th, 2014
Tom Petty & The Heartbreakers -- Vancouver, British Columbia -- August 14th, 2014

Go Back   WWW.METALSETLISTS.COM > Community Forums > Album Reviews

Old 04-03-2012, 12:07 AM
Bitch, shut up and blast beat my meat like a Pete Sandoval with titties.

Negură Bunget- OM (2006)

This is not a band people would expect to see on any list of mine but seriously one of the best Progressive/Folk/Atmospheric Black Metal bands to ever come into existence. OM is based on the principle of five and also tells the tale of the first human in Transylvanian mythology. The lyrics are in Romanian so I cannot understand them and I do not really desire to find translations. Knowing the ideas behind this was enough for me. The production here is top notch. Everything is equalized very well so it's clear and everything is mixed to let all the instruments have room. This is not over-compressed and you can actually hear the bass lines which are fantastic. All in all, very tasteful production of the highest quality. The drumming is superb and uses a hefty amount of cymbals and toms. There is still quite a good bit of straightforward blasting on the snare and bass drums (great snare sound by the way). The guitar players complement each other very well and play winding riffs that morph and change frequently. The guitar tones themselves are excellent, very rough sounding and saturated enough to give texture but not so much so that they aren't clear. There is not a single song on this album with verse/chorus structure either. All of the songs have very fluid pacing. There are frequent transitions both jarring and gradual. The band exhibits a mastery of building and releasing tension which adds a very epic and dramatic feel to the music. There's even ambient, keyboard driven sections and OM has the best synths I have ever heard -- they are truly beautiful. A lot of Romanian folk instruments are used (of the wind and percussion variety). I'm not sure what they all are, but they sound great and the band actually plays them...they're not synths! There is a very strong jazz feel to many parts of this album, too. This along with the unconventional song structures, unique instruments, and ambient sections makes OM very progressive.

Favorite Tracks**:

Cunoașterea Tăcută

Dedesuptul

Cel Din Urmă Vis

**You really need to listen to the album start to finish with no distractions to really understand how great this is. The full album is up on youtube.

1/19- Despise You
1/21- Castle
2/14- Hatebreed
3/16- AILD
Old 04-03-2012, 12:35 AM

Soilwork- The Panic Broadcast (2010)

I FUCKING LOVE SOILWORK. The album begins with "Late For The Kill, Early For The Slaughters" which begins with a guitar and keyboard melody combining to create a majestic atmosphere. Then at 18 seconds in it kicks off with a blast-beat drum roll which leads to material that goes even beyond "Blind Eye Halo", bringing us back to Steelbath Suicide-sounding material. This album is indeed a roller-coaster (depending on your definition of a roller-coaster). The diversity isn't even just from song-to-song, it's also in songs. There's the blast-beat/fast-paced song"King Of The Threshold", which ends acoustic and almost directly connects to melodic and beautiful "Let This River Flow". There is also the mid-tempo and lyrically powerful "Two Lives Worth Of Reckoning", "The Thrill" and "Deliverance Is Mine" Bjorns vocals are at their best in this album. He covers most of the vocal spectrum with screaming, growing, beautiful singing, harmonious talking, and the echo in his vocals at some points. "Let This River Flow" displays Bjorn's best vocal work with his screamy verse which leads straight into beautiful high-pitched singing and growling before the 2nd chorus. The guitar and drum work are the best since Natural Born Choas. With the return of Peter Wichers and new-found member Syvain Coudret, the guitar work is more melodic, atmospheric, heavy, and groovy than it's ever been. Dirk Verbeuren only joined the band 2 albums ago and is displaying better drum work than the last 2 albums combined. There's everything from the groovy drumming in the slow and somewhat doomish "Epitome" to the doublt-pedal work in "Night Comes Clean" to the blast-beat "King Of The Threshold" Sven Karlsson's keyboard work hasn't been this good since Natural Born Chaos. He throws in some quite diverse and progressive keyboard sounds/melodies. The keyboards are definitely more atmospheric this time and give an amazing background to the songs. The highlight for the keyboards would be on "The Akuma Afterglow" though "Night Comes Clean" follows closely. Last but definitely not least, we have the instruments coming together for a 2 1/2-minute intro in "Enter Dog Of Pavlov". For the 2nd half of the outro, there's "Sweet Demise" (bonus track). Both songs give each instrument a chance to REALLY shine. This is truly one of the greatest and one of the most well put together albums I've ever listened to in my life. Every little detail is magical and so well executed. In honesty I doubt they could ever beat the greatness that is The Panic Broadcast.

Favorite Tracks:

Night Comes Clean

Let This River Flow

King Of The Threshold

Two Lives Worth Of Reckoning

1/19- Despise You
1/21- Castle
2/14- Hatebreed
3/16- AILD
Old 04-03-2012, 07:07 PM

Acid Bath- When The Kite String Pops (1994)

This is one of the most diverse albums to ever emerge from the United States. I cannot pinpoint exactly what category musically to put Acid Bath in. I hear doom and death as well as black and sludge elements. Even thrash and melodic rock emerge at some point. Lets just say that Acid Bath were ahead of their time so much that they are revered as legends only 10 years after their departure from the metal world. Dax, for starters, is a very interchangeable vocalist. His range can go from extremely melodic to as extreme as screaming can get. This Jekyl and Hyde personae works well with Sammy's blackened screams and the rest of the bands different methods and tones. When listening to songs like 'Scream of the butterfly' and 'Bones of baby dolls' the listener can become mesmerized and lost in the overall depth of the beauty. The melodies are very ballad like and quite overwhelmingly soothing. They are what sets them apart from the very aggressive ferocity of songs like 'Cassie eats cockroaches', 'Jezebel' (which when the song breaks down, gets calm with decipherable lyrics) and 'The Blue'. Overall each song has a different individualistic stance when it comes to pace, sound and story. There are no nuances nor mundane offerings. This is for all listeners. Whether you prefer the doom/sludge aspects or the black and death alike. Metal aficionados who appreciate new territories explored and calculatingly executed will find at least one thing they like about 'When the kite string pops'. It Usually take 2 or more releases to give this much impression for just one album. Not to mention awesome cover artwork done by sadistic madman John Wayne Gacy.

Favorite Tracks:

God Machine

Jezebel

Tranquilized

Cheap Vodka

1/19- Despise You
1/21- Castle
2/14- Hatebreed
3/16- AILD
Old 04-03-2012, 07:12 PM
Smoke Satan, Worship Crack

Thanks for the Agoraphobic Nosebleed! I've been meaning to download them for a long time but never have. I fucking love that Acid Bath album!! I wish they put out more than the two albums. RIP Audie
Old 04-03-2012, 07:13 PM
Rats off to ya

I've been listening to WtKSP a lot lately. I plan to get it on vinyl sometime in the near future.
Old 04-03-2012, 08:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by christopher View Post
Thanks for the Agoraphobic Nosebleed! I've been meaning to download them for a long time but never have. I fucking love that Acid Bath album!! I wish they put out more than the two albums. RIP Audie
. I agree on the wishing of more Acid Bath albums.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BloodoftheKings View Post
I've been listening to WtKSP a lot lately. I plan to get it on vinyl sometime in the near future.
STOP HESITATING AND DO IT RIGHT NOW

1/19- Despise You
1/21- Castle
2/14- Hatebreed
3/16- AILD
Old 04-03-2012, 09:50 PM
Rats off to ya

Quote:
Originally Posted by street_burial View Post
STOP HESITATING AND DO IT RIGHT NOW
There's a few others I need first. Like the whole Kiss discography.
Old 04-03-2012, 09:53 PM
Smoke Satan, Worship Crack

Quote:
Originally Posted by street_burial View Post
. I agree on the wishing of more Acid Bath albums.
I heard there was a third album recorded but it never saw the light of day, so Sammy used the guitar riffs for Goatwhore. I wish I could hear it one day
Old 04-03-2012, 10:12 PM
THIS IS LHHC!

I've been listening to Agalloch a lot lately and I have to say that that album is my current favorite by a slight margin. I've really been meaning to check out Negura Bunget. I'm gonna have to get that album. Personally I disliked that Soilwork album, maybe I'll have to go give it another listen. And as for When the Kite String Pops...

Anyway, keep 'em coming, man.
9/6 Weekend Nachos
9/12 Sete Star Sept
9/19 Despise You
9/20 Revocation
Old 04-04-2012, 05:33 AM
Not a number, I'm a free man

Acid Bath is sweet, very original.
7/1 - Iron Maiden - Luxembourg
10/31 - Fleetwood Mac