Home Set Lists Forums The Permanent Record Asshole Opinion

Puya -- Washington, D.C. -- September 17th, 2014
Samhain -- Los Angeles, CA -- September 19th, 2014
Deafheaven -- Toronto, Ontario -- September 19th, 2014
DragonForce -- Aberdeen, Scotland -- September 18th, 2014
Electric Light Orchestra -- London, England -- September 14th, 2014

  #1  
Old 03-16-2012, 02:19 AM
ravenheart's Avatar
ravenheart ravenheart is offline
Meanwhile, behind the facade of this innocent looking bookstore...
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: England
Posts: 18,321
New DTP + Ziltoid 2

New "poppy" DTP album 'Epicloud' is finished. Kind of a stop-gap release before Devin finishes Ziltoid 2.

Tracklist:

'Taurus'
'Animals'
'Liberation'
'Back Where We Belong'
'Save Our Now'
'Kingdom'
'Divine'
'Grace'
'More!'
'Heatwave'
'Hold On'
'Angels'

Dev: "Epicloud is the 'in-between' DEVIN TOWNSEND PROJECT and Ziltoid 2. While writing Z2, I purged 20 epic, poppy, porgy, 'Dev Leppard' type things... I love it. Been holding in my love of melody in lieu of being metal, but decided to let 'er rip before the next Ziltoid. So liberating. Oh yeah, it's still under the DTP moniker. The logo is way too cool to ditch. Yeah, we re-did 'Kingdom' because it's a live set staple, and so much better now than the Physicist recording."

"Not to let the cat out of the bag too early, but fuck it: Working on a scheme to make Ziltoid 2 a feature length (ghetto style) movie!"
__________________
www.jukeboxmetal.com
http://jukeboxmetal.blogspot.com

25/9 Andrew O'Neill
8/10 Jex Thoth
13/10 The Skull
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 03-16-2012, 02:34 AM
MPF's Avatar
MPF MPF is offline
That Guy
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Wisconsin
Posts: 8,805
The sad part, or incredible part depending on how you look at it. That's not even a Third of what he's working on this year. He has 3 other projects in the works, the DTP London DVD Boxset, and the Carnival Retrospective show in October.

All that, plus touring. I don't know how he does it. He is the Frank Zappa of Metal for sure (Quality wise will be up for debate I'm sure after this post is posted.)
__________________
That Drummer Guy's Reviews, Interviews, Playlists, Radio Shows, & Social Media:
http://www.thatdrummerguy.com
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 03-16-2012, 02:39 AM
ravenheart's Avatar
ravenheart ravenheart is offline
Meanwhile, behind the facade of this innocent looking bookstore...
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: England
Posts: 18,321
Meh, he doesn't tour THAT much compared to some.

People like Wino, Warren Haynes, and a few others do more in a year.
__________________
www.jukeboxmetal.com
http://jukeboxmetal.blogspot.com

25/9 Andrew O'Neill
8/10 Jex Thoth
13/10 The Skull
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 03-16-2012, 02:41 AM
MPF's Avatar
MPF MPF is offline
That Guy
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Wisconsin
Posts: 8,805
Quote:
Originally Posted by ravenheart View Post
Meh, he doesn't tour THAT much compared to some.

People like Wino, Warren Haynes, and a few others do more in a year.
I saw him 3 times in 5 months last year. All within an hour and a half of me. That sounds like a lot to me
__________________
That Drummer Guy's Reviews, Interviews, Playlists, Radio Shows, & Social Media:
http://www.thatdrummerguy.com
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 03-16-2012, 02:46 AM
ravenheart's Avatar
ravenheart ravenheart is offline
Meanwhile, behind the facade of this innocent looking bookstore...
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: England
Posts: 18,321
Quote:
Originally Posted by MPF View Post
I saw him 3 times in 5 months last year. All within an hour and a half of me. That sounds like a lot to me
Oh yeah, when he does tour he just goes to the same places a lot. I mean, I could have seen him 5 times last year in London alone if I'd wanted to. Doesn't mean his touring was extensive, just that he came to London a lot
__________________
www.jukeboxmetal.com
http://jukeboxmetal.blogspot.com

25/9 Andrew O'Neill
8/10 Jex Thoth
13/10 The Skull
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 03-16-2012, 02:51 AM
MPF's Avatar
MPF MPF is offline
That Guy
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Wisconsin
Posts: 8,805
Quote:
Originally Posted by ravenheart View Post
Oh yeah, when he does tour he just goes to the same places a lot. I mean, I could have seen him 5 times last year in London alone if I'd wanted to. Doesn't mean his touring was extensive, just that he came to London a lot
Granted that is true, but its still a lot of touring and recording, and mixing/mastering live and studio projects, etc.

Not saying he is the busiest guy out there, but he rarely takes a break from music since he got back into it in 2007.
__________________
That Drummer Guy's Reviews, Interviews, Playlists, Radio Shows, & Social Media:
http://www.thatdrummerguy.com
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 03-16-2012, 10:03 AM
BloodoftheKings's Avatar
BloodoftheKings BloodoftheKings is offline
Rats off to ya
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Strong Island
Posts: 5,942
That's kind of annoying that he's releasing Epicloud under the DTP name. The Devin Townsend Project was always referred to as a 4 part series and they made the Contain Us boxset to wrap the whole thing up. And something tells me Epicloud wont even fit with the concept of the DTP. I'm sure it will still be a great record.
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 03-16-2012, 10:53 AM
adamclark52's Avatar
adamclark52 adamclark52 is online now
You can't save me any more than you can save yourself, so stop fucking trying
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Keswick, Ontario
Posts: 4,541
Quote:
Originally Posted by BloodoftheKings View Post
That's kind of annoying that he's releasing Epicloud under the DTP name. The Devin Townsend Project was always referred to as a 4 part series and they made the Contain Us boxset to wrap the whole thing up. And something tells me Epicloud wont even fit with the concept of the DTP. I'm sure it will still be a great record.
Devin Townsend Project, Devin Townsend Band, Ocean Machine, it's all basically just Devin Townsend. I don't know why he just doesn't release it all as "Devin Townsend".

I'm looking forward to this one, I find his "poppy" music the best stuff he puts out.
__________________
10/18 - King Diamond
10/24 - Pallbearer
11/01 - Suffocation
11/30 - Devin Townsend
12/06 - Distant Worlds: the Music of Final Fantasy
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 03-16-2012, 01:29 PM
MPF's Avatar
MPF MPF is offline
That Guy
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Wisconsin
Posts: 8,805
I have no problem with it being released under the DTP name. Although I think it would be better to go back under the Devin Townsend Band name.

Although Adamclark makes the best argument. It's all Devin, so does it really matter?
__________________
That Drummer Guy's Reviews, Interviews, Playlists, Radio Shows, & Social Media:
http://www.thatdrummerguy.com
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 03-16-2012, 01:38 PM
BloodoftheKings's Avatar
BloodoftheKings BloodoftheKings is offline
Rats off to ya
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Strong Island
Posts: 5,942
Quote:
Originally Posted by adamclark52 View Post
Devin Townsend Project, Devin Townsend Band, Ocean Machine, it's all basically just Devin Townsend. I don't know why he just doesn't release it all as "Devin Townsend".

I'm looking forward to this one, I find his "poppy" music the best stuff he puts out.
Quote:
Originally Posted by MPF View Post
I have no problem with it being released under the DTP name. Although I think it would be better to go back under the Devin Townsend Band name.

Although Adamclark makes the best argument. It's all Devin, so does it really matter?
It's not that big of a deal but it's annoying because the Devin Townsend Project was a series. It's kind of like if JK Rowling released another Harry Potter book after releasing a box set called "Harry Potter: The Complete Collection".
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -8. The time now is 07:31 AM.


Blah Blah Blah Copyright WWW.METALSETLISTS.COM 2008