Vixen -- Madrid, Spain -- September 27th, 2014
Crowbar -- Vancouver, British Columbia -- September 28th, 2014

Old 03-13-2012, 09:34 AM
Altars of Radness

The Melvins EP available now

http://www.scionav.com/collection/91...ulls--The-Bees

Old 03-13-2012, 10:32 PM
You can't save me any more than you can save yourself, so stop fucking trying

I consider the Melvins work in the 1990's and up until the mid 2000's to be some of the best music I've heard in my life but I haven't really been a big fan of them since:
1) the Big Business guys joined up with them
2) the disappointed live show they put on in Toronto two years ago
but I did download this and after the first song it was actually pretty good. I had to go to work so I'll check out the rest tomorrow. And the Melvins Lite project has potential. Things could look up for the Melvins.
11/30 - Devin Townsend
12/06 - Distant Worlds: the Music of Final Fantasy
Old 03-14-2012, 08:54 AM
N00B

I feel like this is a pretty n00bish question, but I've never listened to any Melvins material, is the new EP pretty accesible, or should I go back and listen to some of their previous stuff?
Old 03-23-2012, 05:56 PM
You can't save me any more than you can save yourself, so stop fucking trying

Quote:
Originally Posted by InFlamesOfBirchmen View Post
I feel like this is a pretty n00bish question, but I've never listened to any Melvins material, is the new EP pretty accesible, or should I go back and listen to some of their previous stuff?
Anything they've put out since 2006 has been pretty straightforward. This EP has a lot more experimenting than I've heard from them in a while. After listening to the whole thing I'd say this is the best music they've put out in about eight years. Songs 1, 2 and 5 are pretty standard for them but are a lot better than the last few albums. Songs 3 and 4 are pretty wild. I can't remember ever hearing strings on a Melvins release before. They've done some wild experimenting in the past, but this was a different kind of experimenting.

It's hard to say where to start with the Melvins. They've got SO much material but I'll try help you out. Start with the album Houdini. It's pretty much their most famous/popular album from their 1990's heyday. It's pretty accesible but just better than their newer stuff. Also check out Stoner Witch, probably their second most popular album (both Houdini and Stoner Witch were released by a major label during the 1990's when grunge was still really popular). Those are their easiest to digest if you're new to the band, along with their three latest albums; (A) Senile Animal, Nude With Boots and the Bride Screamed Murder. I'd start with those before trying out some of their more experimental stuff.

My personal favorite albums by the Melvins are Bullhead, the Eggnog EP, LYSOL, the King Buzzo EP, Stag, Honky and the Maggot. Anything they released between Bullhead (1990) up to (and including) Colossus of Destiny (2001) is awesome. Since then I only really liked the Pigs of the Roman Empire album and this EP.
11/30 - Devin Townsend
12/06 - Distant Worlds: the Music of Final Fantasy

Last edited by adamclark52; 03-23-2012 at 06:04 PM.