Puya -- Washington, D.C. -- September 17th, 2014
Samhain -- Los Angeles, CA -- September 19th, 2014
Deafheaven -- Toronto, Ontario -- September 19th, 2014
DragonForce -- Aberdeen, Scotland -- September 18th, 2014
Electric Light Orchestra -- London, England -- September 14th, 2014

Go Back   WWW.METALSETLISTS.COM > Community Forums > General Chat

Old 03-13-2012, 10:28 AM
Pop Punk > Slipknot and Y&T

I don't like moshing but I also extremely agree that if you are up front and bitch about moshing, then you are an idiot.
09/22 - RA/TA/Radkey ?
09/23 - Crowbar
Old 03-13-2012, 10:33 AM
Metal is proof that Satan loves us and wants us to be happy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by IrritatedTrout View Post
I know a lot of security guys can be dicks sometimes but crowd surfing can be dangerous for them too. I really can't think of any group at a show that isn't needlessly endangered by crowd surfing except the bands themselves I guess.
Au contraire, mon frère. The band members themselves may not be in immediate danger, but their gear certainly could be (that is, at shows where there isn't a rail with an empty space for security between that and the stage). That's another reason why crowd surfing just isn't cool as a general rule. It's the reason that the Isis set I saw in 2009 - which turned out to be the last time I would ever get to see them - was cut short. Some douchebag either crowd-surfed up onto the stage or was moshing and got pushed up onto it, fucking up the band's pedals and such for the umpteenth time, and Jeff Caxide decided he'd had enough and just set down his guitar and walked off the stage. Luckily for us, they were more than halfway through their final song of the night anyway, but it still sucked. You can say that it was douchey of Jeff to bail if you want (and I go back and forth on that myself sometimes), but if the idiots in the crowd hadn't clumsily fucked up the band's gear time and time again, the whole incident never would have happened.

EDIT: Really what needs to happen is that the members of the crowd need to remember their place. There is a time and a place for everything (even crowd surfing sometimes, I suppose) - but neither crowd-surfing nor moshing was called for at a show like Isis, for example, and the idiots who were doing it (boneheaded Keelhaul fans who had had way too much to drink, is my theory) needed to realize that their actions were stupid and out of place, or be slapped in the head by somebody. The whole crowd was looking at each other like, "what are these fuckheads doing? Do they not realize this is a post-metal show?"

Last edited by Natrlhi; 03-13-2012 at 10:37 AM.
Old 03-13-2012, 10:38 AM
...So let the children come to me, their mother loves me so shall they...

I don't care much about moshing and thus I don't mind it nearly as much as crowd surfing.
A Broken Team
No Word Said
A Silent Vow
We Loved You Then
We Love You Now

Last edited by Seventhzealot; 03-13-2012 at 10:46 AM.
Old 03-13-2012, 11:05 AM
not the mama

I honestly never really saw crowd surfing as a problem until the last gig I went to (Glamour Kills Tour) where you could tell that some of the crowd was new to it and I saw several people getting kicked in the head. Other than that it seems I've only been to gigs where people expected and encouraged it.
Old 03-13-2012, 12:20 PM
THIS IS LHHC!

I fucking hate crowd surfing, but I'm usually okay with it because it usually doesn't affect me at all since I'm usually in the pit or on the edge of the pit. That being said, I would not mind at all if crowd surfing was banned at most venues. That's one of the reasons that Reggie's is so kick ass, because they heavily enforce their no crowd surfing and stage diving rules.
9/27 Blood Feast
10/3 Judas Priest
10/4 Deceased
10/18 Satan
Old 03-13-2012, 12:59 PM
Some People Call Me The White Devil

Quote:
Originally Posted by kalfitegrdan View Post
I fucking hate crowd surfing, but I'm usually okay with it because it usually doesn't affect me at all since I'm usually in the pit or on the edge of the pit. That being said, I would not mind at all if crowd surfing was banned at most venues. That's one of the reasons that Reggie's is so kick ass, because they heavily enforce their no crowd surfing and stage diving rules.
But for some shows stagediving and crowd surfing are a must. Hardcore shows for instance. But like everyone said already there is a time and place for all that. Metal shows though are known for moshing and crowd surfing and being one that loves doing both I'll never stop.
Old 03-13-2012, 01:15 PM
Altars of Radness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Natrlhi View Post
EDIT: Really what needs to happen is that the members of the crowd need to remember their place. There is a time and a place for everything (even crowd surfing sometimes, I suppose) - but neither crowd-surfing nor moshing was called for at a show like Isis, for example, and the idiots who were doing it (boneheaded Keelhaul fans who had had way too much to drink, is my theory) needed to realize that their actions were stupid and out of place, or be slapped in the head by somebody. The whole crowd was looking at each other like, "what are these fuckheads doing? Do they not realize this is a post-metal show?"
Crowd surfing can be totally fine depending on the type of show. If you go to a hardcore show and complain about crowd surfers you can fuck right off. But Isis is definitely not the setting to crowd surf. Also, there are plenty of metal bands that advocate crowd surfing / stage diving, like Origin for instance. If you see them you should be prepared for that.
Old 03-13-2012, 01:17 PM
Some People Call Me The White Devil

Almost every metal band asks for pits etc.

But I agree like if I go to some post-rock show I don't want people trying to slam or anything.

Like when I saw Anvil there were a few guys trying to mosh and shove everyone and people weren't having it. You could tell they were wasted though but still. A time and place for everything.
Old 03-13-2012, 01:20 PM
Happy birthday, darling. We love you very very very very very very much

>mfw a bunch of idiots started crowd surfing during Face of Melinda

3/15 Gogol Bordello
Old 03-13-2012, 01:35 PM
Metal is proof that Satan loves us and wants us to be happy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by treghet View Post
If you go to a hardcore show and complain about crowd surfers you can fuck right off.
I agree wholeheartedly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by treghet View Post
Also, there are plenty of metal bands that advocate crowd surfing / stage diving, like Origin for instance. If you see them you should be prepared for that.
Again, agreed. They are obviously OK with fans being near their gear, too, because they keep it off to the side purposefully to make more room on stage so that they can fit as many fans as possible up there at the end of their set.

Like I said, there's a time and place for everything.