Home Set Lists Forums The Permanent Record Asshole Opinion

Sleep -- Chicago, IL -- August 29th, 2014
Tom Petty & The Heartbreakers -- Clarkston, MI -- August 24th, 2014
Cheap Trick -- Boston, MA -- August 27th, 2014
Misery Signals -- Toronto, Ontario -- August 23rd, 2014
Rhapsody of Fire -- Cd. Obregon, Mex -- August 24th, 2014

Go Back   WWW.METALSETLISTS.COM > Community Forums > General Chat

Old 03-13-2012, 06:28 AM
Bitch, shut up and blast beat my meat like a Pete Sandoval with titties.

City of Boston cracks down on moshing.

Quote:
Boston cops are cracking down on slam-dancing concertgoers, blindsiding a top Hub venue for a rowdy mosh pit at a recent gig and pledging to halt all “dangerous behavior” on the floor — prompting outrage from bands who say the aggressive dance style is an integral part of the show.

“The city of Boston needs to stay out of it,” said Guy Kozowyk, vocalist for Hub metal band The Red Chord. “I understand cracking down on fighting, but (moshing) is a form of expression. It’s ridiculous they’re cracking down on this now. There are plenty of other problems.”

Boston cops cited the House of Blues for a license violation because of a mosh pit that broke out during a Feb. 21 show by Los Angeles band Flogging Molly. According to police, 60 concertgoers engaged in an “aggressive mosh pit dance,” during which people were running and “colliding into each other,” including some who were “knocked to the ground.” No injuries were reported.

A Boston Police Department inspector said the communal dance violated safety rules and the club was cited because security did not intervene, records show.

A statement from the House of Blues said “the safety of our patrons is the top priority” and that the venue is working closely with the city “to address concerns about moshing and other forms of expressive dance.” A Flogging Molly publicist declined to comment.

City officials said they could not recall another instance when a Hub rock club was cited for a mosh pit, but cops vowed that dance- floor mayhem will not be tolerated.

“Dancing is a First Amendment right, but the behavior itself is a violation, especially when it becomes dangerous and a public safety hazard,” Boston police spokeswoman Officer Nicole Grant said.

The city’s licensing board took the matter under advisement after a City Hall hearing yesterday, while the club was ordered to put up illuminated signs saying moshing is not allowed.

The dustup comes as the Lansdowne Street club plans for three sold-out St. Patrick’s Day shows by the Dropkick Murphys this week. But Dropkick singer Ken Casey said the club and city have nothing to worry about.

“I don’t see it as a concern for us. Maybe in 1998 it would have been,” Casey said.

But other bands say the crackdown sets a bad precedent and will force heavier bands — including several top-selling Massachusetts metal acts — back to Worcester and the suburbs, where venues have permitted mosh pits for years.

“This new anti-moshing policy proves once again that the city of Boston hates heavy music,” said Trevor Phipps, vocalist for Boston’s Unearth. “It’s disheartening and maddening to know your hometown doesn’t support or understand your music scene.”

Brian Fair, vocalist for Grammy-nominated Bay State metal band Shadows Fall, called the clampdown “ridiculous” and said: “I can understand trying to cut down on injuries or fights, but you see more fights outside a dance night on Lansdowne Street than you see inside a hardcore show.”
source

Fuck Boston.

1/19- Despise You
1/21- Castle
2/14- Hatebreed
3/16- AILD
Old 03-13-2012, 06:36 AM
Meanwhile, behind the facade of this innocent looking bookstore...

"moshing is a form of expression"

7/9 Pentagram
16/9 Richie Kotzen
19/9 Kamchatka
Old 03-13-2012, 06:41 AM
Not a number, I'm a free man

Moshing is fucking gay. So is this. What they need to do is throw those fucking crowd surfers out when they catch them. Can't stop moshing nearly as easily as that.
7/1 - Iron Maiden - Luxembourg
10/31 - Fleetwood Mac
Old 03-13-2012, 06:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by IrritatedTrout View Post
What they need to do is throw those fucking crowd surfers out when they catch them
This.

7/9 Pentagram
16/9 Richie Kotzen
19/9 Kamchatka
Old 03-13-2012, 06:43 AM
Not popular in Buffalo

That's pretty fucking stupid. I saw August Burns Red there a few weeks ago and pits still happened (This was after the Flogging Molly "incident" on February 21). There has always been a no-moshing rule at the House of Blues (they attempt to counter this by sticking fat-fuck security guards in the middle of the pit, but clearly they get overpowered once the pits really get going), but clearly people do it anyways. Ultimately I don't thinks it's going to effect anything. I can guarantee you when I see the Dropkick Murphys there on Thursday there will be pits and I'm sure there will still be metal shows at the House of Blues in the future.

http://maitlandsmadness.blogspot.com/
Old 03-13-2012, 07:09 AM
Rats off to ya

Quote:
Originally Posted by ravenheart View Post
"moshing is a form of expression"
Quote:
Originally Posted by IrritatedTrout View Post
Moshing is fucking gay. So is this. What they need to do is throw those fucking crowd surfers out when they catch them. Can't stop moshing nearly as easily as that.
lol, old people. Anyway putting bans of moshing is ridiculous. If somebody gets hurt in a mosh pit it's their fault. Anybody who wants no part in it can easily go to the side or the back. Same goes for not wanting to deal with crowd surfers.
Old 03-13-2012, 07:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BloodoftheKings View Post
lol, old people.
Nowt to do with age, and all to do with that being an entirely stupid statement.

Quote:
If somebody gets hurt in a mosh pit it's their fault. Anybody who wants no part in it can easily go to the side or the back. Same goes for not wanting to deal with crowd surfers.
No it isn't. Of course they can, if there's no crowd. At a sold out show, that's not necessarily possible at all. And no it doesn't. What you're saying is that people who don't want to deal with crowd surfers aren't allowed to be down the front, just because of what some other drunk wants to do? Yeah, that's fair.

I also think the ban is wrong. More people should get hurt in moshpits!

7/9 Pentagram
16/9 Richie Kotzen
19/9 Kamchatka
Old 03-13-2012, 07:28 AM
Rats off to ya

Quote:
Originally Posted by ravenheart View Post
At a sold out show, that's not necessarily possible at all. And no it doesn't. What you're saying is that people who don't want to deal with crowd surfers aren't allowed to be down the front, just because of what some other drunk wants to do? Yeah, that's fair.
I am always able to push through the crowd when I have to, even if it is at a sold out show. If you want to be in the front you have to be prepared to handle crowd surfers, that's common sense.
Old 03-13-2012, 07:29 AM
Metal is proof that Satan loves us and wants us to be happy.

Quote:
Anybody who wants no part in it can easily go to the side or the back.
You mean where the view is shitty. OK, gotcha.

Yeah, fuck anybody who isn't willing to get into the pit. It's their own damn fault for being old, or of smaller stature, or of a mild-mannered disposition and not prone to violence. Yeah, fuck those pussies!

Please.

I don't mind moshing at all - and I occasionally still participate (even though I'm supposedly the old fart around here), and even still, your comments just rub me the wrong way. You can't take the approach you're advocating and call it "fair for everyone" - it just doesn't work that way.
Old 03-13-2012, 07:34 AM
Rats off to ya

Quote:
Originally Posted by Natrlhi View Post
You mean where the view is shitty. OK, gotcha.

Yeah, fuck anybody who isn't willing to get into the pit. It's their own damn fault for being old, or of smaller stature, or of a mild-mannered disposition and not prone to violence. Yeah, fuck those pussies!
But that's not really what i'm saying at all. I'm just saying if you can't handle it it's easily avoidable and you shouldn't ruin other people's fun just cause you want to be up front. Plus most shows I go to there's spots with no moshing/crowd surfing where you have a great view.