Fleetwood Mac -- Minneapolis, MN -- September 30th, 2014
The Story So Far -- Lawrence, KS -- September 30th, 2014
Coheed and Cambria -- Boston, MA -- September 28th, 2014
Vixen -- Madrid, Spain -- September 27th, 2014

Go Back   WWW.METALSETLISTS.COM > Community Forums > Album Reviews

Old 08-17-2010, 03:43 AM
Altars of Radness

The Guide to Old School Death Metal

Okay, I finally got around to finishing my list. This list is meant to be a guide to for newbies as well as those obsessed with the genre. There is one album per a band, that way the list isn't full of half a band's discography. The top 100 list will be first. Chances are, if you listen to a lot of death metal, you will know most of these bands, but you may find some hidden gems here. After the top 100 is a list of every other old school death metal album, EP, and demo I have on my computer. Of course I don't have everything (not even close), so if you have something that isn't on the list, please share it! I will add everyone's suggestions, assuming they are actually old school death metal. Keep in mind I will not be editing the top 100 list. It would be a pain in the ass to renumber everything, so if I happened to leave out an awesome album, sorry. Also, remember everybody's opinions are different. I tried to pick what I think is the best album by each band. If you don't like my choice, again, sorry. I added commentary to some of the albums, but I don't feel like typing a full review for each one. This smiley () indicates that I like the album a lot. And I know a lot of the images are poor quality. I took most of them off Metal Archives and resized them because I didn't want to have to use the new Google image search (which sucks). This took a long time to put together, so I hope you guys like it!

1. Abhorrence - Abhorrence (1990)

Abhorrence was one of Finland's early death metal bands. Despite the band only being active for a year, this EP became popular in the underground scene and likely had a great affect on future bands in the area.

2. Abramelin - Abramelin (1996)

3. Adramelech - Psychostasia (1996)

4. Apophis - Gateway To The Underworld (1993)

5. Arghoslent - Galloping Through the Battle Ruins (1998)
Old 08-17-2010, 03:44 AM
Altars of Radness

6. Asphyx - The Rack (1991)

Asphyx is one of the early death metal bands from The Netherlands, along with Pestilence. Many consider this album legendary.

7. At the Gates - The Red in the Sky is Ours (1992)

At the Gates was one of the earliest melodic death metal bands. Their first release is the most raw, showing the beginning of a new sub-genre. Personally, this is my favorite album of theirs.

8. Atheist - Piece of Time (1989)

While Unquestionable Presence is by no doubt much more spectacular, Piece of Time is closer to the death metal sound. Atheist is one of the standout bands in the Florida death metal scene, often credited (along with others) for starting technical death metal.

9. Autopsy - Mental Funeral (1991)

On the opposite side of the country, Autopsy was putting out some incredible, raw death metal. Mental Funeral is my personal favorite, but it was a hard choice.

10. Banished - Deliver Me Unto Pain (1994)
Old 08-17-2010, 03:46 AM
Altars of Radness

11. Baphomet - The Dead Shall Inherit (1992)

Technically this is the same band as above before they had changed their name. I guess in a way I am breaking my own rule on including one album per a band. That being said, both albums are great, but I really love this one.

12. Belial - Wisdom of Darkness (1993)

13. Benediction - Transcend The Rubicon (1993)

14. Bolt Thrower - Realm Of Chaos (1989)

15. Brutality - Screams of Anguish (1993)

Last edited by treghet; 03-03-2012 at 07:11 PM.
Old 08-17-2010, 03:47 AM
Altars of Radness

16. Cancer - Death Shall Rise (1991)

17. Cannibal Corpse - Tomb Of The Mutilated (1992)

Cannibal Corpse has always been hit or miss to me. Their early material was great, but as time went on I feel the more recent albums were just meh, with a few exceptions. Anyway, this album blew me away. Incredibly heavy, technical, brutal, etc. If you don't have it... well, I don't like you.

18. Carbonized - For the Security (1991)

This is one of the most interesting death metal albums I have heard. It combines typical old school death with grind and jazz influence. I definitely recommend this if you are looking for something out of the ordinary.

19. Carcass - Necroticism - Descanting the Insalubrious (1991)

Ah, Carcass. This is one of my favorite death metal albums. The production is spot on, the lyrics are creative, and musicianship is great. Also, this is one of the few albums that the samples seem to add to the music, giving it an extra level or creepiness.

20. Cardiac Arrest - Morgue Mutilations (2006)
Old 08-17-2010, 03:47 AM
Altars of Radness

21. Cemetery Urn - Urn of Blood (2007)

22. Centinex - Reborn Through Flames (1998)

23. The Chasm - Procession To The Infraworld (1999)

It seems like The Chasm just can't release a bad album. I would have to say this is my favorite. If you like a mix of death and doom, check them out.

24. Claws - Absorbed in the Nethervoid (2009)

Formed in 2008, this the first album by the one man band Claws. This album reminds me a lot of Incantation, so that automatically makes it awesome.

25. Crematory - Denial (2009)

This is a compilation album of the Swedish Crematory. It includes their EP as well as some demos.
Old 08-17-2010, 03:48 AM
Altars of Radness

26. Crypt of Kerberos - World of Myths (1993)

27. Cryptopsy - None So Vile (1996)

Many people consider this to be the best technical death metal album. I disagree with that, but it's definitely up there. The production is raw and the bass is audible (which I like). Lord Worm's vocals are completely undecipherable, but awesome at the same time. It's a shame the band went to shit.

28. Cynic - Focus (1993)

It's a stretch putting this album in here, but I knew someone would complain if it wasn't on the list. I've never been able to get into Cynic due to the overuse of the vocoder, but the music is spectacular. I prefer their demos, though, when there were only death growls.

29. Darkthrone - Soulside Journey (1991)

I enjoy all of the phases of Darkthrone, but I think this would have to be my favorite. Before changing styles, Darkthrone wrote some pretty awesome death metal. This is nothing like any of their other albums.

30. Death - Scream Bloody Gore (1987)

This is not my favorite Death album, but it is the one that started it all. While Death was not the first death metal band, they did a lot to popularize the genre, spurring a metal revolution in Florida.
Old 08-17-2010, 03:49 AM
Altars of Radness

31. Deathevokation - The Chalice of Ages (2007)

32. Decapitated - Winds Of Creation (2000)

Winds of Creation is Decapitated's strongest album. It is an endless riff fest that never feels dull. It's another one of my very favorites.

33. Deceased - Luck Of The Corpse (1991)

In the beginning, Deceased was a straight death metal band. Over the years their sound has evolved, incorporating elements of thrash, death, and heavy metal into their sound. Honestly, they've never put out a bad album.

34. Decrepit - Acrimonium (1997)

35. Decrepitaph - Beyond The Cursed Tombs (2010)
Old 08-17-2010, 03:49 AM
Altars of Radness

36. Defleshed - Fast Forward (1999)

37. Deicide - Legion (1992)

Deicide is another one of those hit or miss bands for me. Their recent material is mostly boring, but their old stuff is great. Legion is another one of those legendary albums that you must listen to.

38. Demigod - Slumber of Sullen Eyes (1992)

This is one of the most popular death metal albums to come out of Finland. The band was off to a great start with this album but did not put out another album until 2002, since they were broken up for a while in the 90s.

39. Demilich - Nespithe (1993)

I've mentioned this album in a few other topics here, and with good reason. In my opinion this is one of the best technical death metal albums ever released. The vocals may take a bit of getting used to, but the musicianship in this band is incredible. I can honestly say I love every song on the album.

40. Demonical - Hellsworn (2009)
Old 08-17-2010, 03:50 AM
Altars of Radness

41. Depravity - Silence of the Centuries (1993)

Depravity is yet another Finnish death metal act. They released two EPs and some demos before splitting in the mid 90s. This EP is very dark and heavy. Definitely worth listening to.

42. Deranged - Rated X (1995)

43. Derkéta - Goddess of Death (2003)

This is a compilation album for the Pennsy death/doom band Derkéta, consisting of their EP and two demos.

44. Deteriorot - In Ancient Beliefs (2001)

45. Disciples of Mockery - Prelude to Apocalypse (1999)

If you like Incantation, you will like this band. This album consists of three ex-Incantation members from the Onward to Golgotha era.
Old 08-17-2010, 03:51 AM
Altars of Radness

46. Disincarnate - Dreams Of The Carrion Kind (1993)

This is one of my favorite Florida death metal albums. James Murphy perfectly combines some heavy riffing with a bit of melody. Sadly, this is the only album released by Disincarnate.

47. Diskord - Doomscapes (2007)

As the album cover might suggest, this is some pretty abstract death metal. It has intense moments with some very interesting ones mixed in.

48. Dismember - Like an Ever Flowing Stream (1991)

This was the beginning of Swedish legends Dismember. This seems to be the most popular release by them, and in my opinion it is another must have.

49. Dominus Xul - The Primigeni Xul (I Condemned my Enemies) (1998)

50. Edge of Sanity - Nothing But Death Remains (1991)