Snakecharmer -- London, England -- July 11th, 2014
Aerosmith -- Wantagh, NY -- July 10th, 2014
311 -- Lansing, MI -- July 9th, 2014

Go Back   WWW.METALSETLISTS.COM > Community Forums > General Chat

Old 02-26-2012, 09:02 AM
and you can never quarantine the past

Quote:
Originally Posted by treghet View Post
Their live performance is not my gripe with them, it's the last three albums. As long as they still play some classics, why not take advantage of the opportunity to see them?

pick one:
>new albums that sound like nu-metal
>reunite to play the classics you've always loved

JUST KIDDING, YOU CAN'T JUST PICK ONE

So my question for you is, since you've expressed the desire to see them live, would you rather they didn't record shitty albums and never go on tour or record shitty albums and go on tour?

^That's a rhetorical question, I already know the answer.
Old 02-26-2012, 09:05 AM
Play it loud, don't play it low

Voivod with Snake.
Old 02-26-2012, 09:07 AM
Long live Ronnie James Dio

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blitzkrieg Witchcraft View Post
Voivod with Snake.
That boring band?

Death Angel's Five Steps To Freedom is one of their best!

My album collection: http://www.metalsetlists.com/showthread.php?t=10683&page=16
Old 02-26-2012, 09:14 AM
Altars of Radness

Quote:
Originally Posted by larvtard View Post

pick one:
>new albums that sound like nu-metal
>reunite to play the classics you've always loved

JUST KIDDING, YOU CAN'T JUST PICK ONE

So my question for you is, since you've expressed the desire to see them live, would you rather they didn't record shitty albums and never go on tour or record shitty albums and go on tour?

^That's a rhetorical question, I already know the answer.
It's not that hard to understand. I would prefer they never got back together, but since they are, I might as well go hear some of my favorite thrash songs.

Also, ever since you started posting again you've had a shitty attitude towards everybody for no apparent reason. Pretty soon people are going to run out of patience with you.
Old 02-26-2012, 09:43 AM
Meanwhile, behind the facade of this innocent looking bookstore...

Quote:
The last three albums more enjoyable than The Ultra-Violence? I've actually never heard anybody say that... ever. To each his own, but trust me when I say you're in the minority on that.
I know. But then, I find most old thrash pretty boring because it's all the same. Thrash (apart from Metallica and one or two others) didn't develop variety until later, and that's when it got FAR more interesting.

You're firmly in the "Death Angel shouldn't have reformed" minority, for sure.

You would presumably rather they pulled a Twisted Sister? Let's carry on playing but not risk recording anything new and just get all the suckers to pay for us to play the same hits over and over again?

I've had similar conversations about many bands over the years, some of whose new material I like, some of whose I don't, but it's all basically the same story. Everyone who says "they shouldn't have reformed" only ever does so with hindsight because they've not liked the albums since. You didn't know that until the albums were done, and taking the risk to create new music is ALWAYS preferable to not. Always. There's no place for cowardice or laziness.

11/7 Snakecharmer
20/7 Onslaught
30/7 King Diamond
1-2/8 BiesenRock Festival
Old 02-26-2012, 09:53 AM
and you can never quarantine the past

Quote:
Also, ever since you started posting again you've had a shitty attitude towards everybody for no apparent reason. Pretty soon people are going to run out of patience with you.
Have I? My apologies. You've made no effort to hide the fact that you don't much care for me, so I will respond likewise. Nevertheless, I wasn't trying to convey a "shitty attitude," as you said, through my comment. My apologies if you read it that way.

Sorry if I sound like a snob now, but I'm trying not to be that awkward loser that every discussion board has.
Old 02-26-2012, 10:04 AM
Altars of Radness

Quote:
Originally Posted by ravenheart View Post
I know. But then, I find most old thrash pretty boring because it's all the same. Thrash (apart from Metallica and one or two others) didn't develop variety until later, and that's when it got FAR more interesting.

You're firmly in the "Death Angel shouldn't have reformed" minority, for sure.

You would presumably rather they pulled a Twisted Sister? Let's carry on playing but not risk recording anything new and just get all the suckers to pay for us to play the same hits over and over again?

I've had similar conversations about many bands over the years, some of whose new material I like, some of whose I don't, but it's all basically the same story. Everyone who says "they shouldn't have reformed" only ever does so with hindsight because they've not liked the albums since. You didn't know that until the albums were done, and taking the risk to create new music is ALWAYS preferable to not. Always. There's no place for cowardice or laziness.
Yeah, I figured I would be. I wouldn't want them to pull a Twisted Sister either though. That would just reek of cash in. If they did one reunion tour or some select shows over the years that would be alright, but touring endlessly and consistently playing the same songs is a joke. But you are right, had I been a fan of Death Angel at the time they reunited, yeah, I would have been stoked they were writing new material. Unfortunately it just wasn't to my liking. There are a few bands I would rather not take that risk though. Carcass and Repulsion are good examples of that. I'm glad I saw both of them live, but the members of both bands have moved in totally different directions and I know if they ever recorded a new album it would just disappoint me.
Old 02-26-2012, 10:09 AM
Not popular in Buffalo

The only thing I agree with in this thread so far is Guns' N Roses should have broke up permanetly after Use Your Illusion 2.
8/9 Summer Slaughter
9/28 Coheed

http://maitlandsmadness.blogspot.com/
Old 02-26-2012, 10:10 AM
Altars of Radness

Quote:
Originally Posted by larvtard View Post
Have I? My apologies. You've made no effort to hide the fact that you don't much care for me, so I will respond likewise. Nevertheless, I wasn't trying to convey a "shitty attitude," as you said, through my comment. My apologies if you read it that way.

Sorry if I sound like a snob now, but I'm trying not to be that awkward loser that every discussion board has.
Apologies accepted man. And yeah, sorry I haven't been the nicest either. I know it's a hard transition and you'll find your way eventually. Learning to build confidence is a challenge. I don't want to go into a huge post about it here, but if you ever need some help or advice send a PM my way.
Old 02-26-2012, 10:11 AM
N00B

I have to disagree with Death Angel as well. I think their early output is overrated. The Ultra-Violence is amazing, but there are only a few tracks I like on Frolic Through the Park and Act III. The new albums aren't amazing, but they do have quite a few tracks I like, and the band is pretty good live as well. The one thing I wonder about is how popular bands like Death Angel would be if they didn't reform. It's hard enough to find their first two albums, but I imagine it would be extremely difficult to find them if they hadn't reformed.
8/20 - Skid Row