After The Burial -- Flint, MI -- September 20th, 2014
Periphery -- Lansing, MI -- September 19th, 2014
Otherwise -- Sturtevant, WI -- September 19th, 2014
Eluveitie -- Baltimore, MD -- September 19th, 2014

Go Back   WWW.METALSETLISTS.COM > Community Forums > General Chat

Old 02-26-2012, 04:10 AM
Altars of Radness

Bands that shouldn't have reuinited/reformed

Post any band you feel should have stayed in the past and explain why! It doesn't matter if they released any new material or not, doing a reunion tour counts.

I'll start off with a few that I thought of...

Death Angel

It's hard for me to say this, because I would still love to see them live, but they are a shadow of their former selves. Although their most recent album was an improvement over the previous two, they're all still less than impressive to me. They went out on a high note with Act III, and I think it should have stayed that way.

Decapitated

Decapitated has put very little effort into their reformation. Their return to the states on the Summer Slaughter tour in 2010 was a major let down for me. A nine song headlining set is just pathetic. Their newest album only made me loathe their return even more. It's essentially a completely new band parading under the Decapitated name and logo. The point that I don't enjoy the new style is not why it bothers me so much, it's more of the fact that it's just not a Decapitated album.

Septic Flesh

Being a fan of Communion, this is another tough one for me. While Septic Flesh has retained the lineup prior to the breakup, their change in direction irks me. Yes, bands evolve over time, but when I saw them opening for Behemoth they only played one old song and last year when I saw them they didn't play any at all. It just seems like they should have started a new band instead of reactivating Septic Flesh since they obviously have little to no regard for their earlier work.

Terrorizer

Darker Days Ahead absolutely destroyed Terrorizer's legacy. It's as simple as that. Anthony Rezhawk is a horrible vocalist and their writing skills deteriorated beyond belief. It just seems like a totally worthless reunion to me.
Old 02-26-2012, 04:43 AM
THIS IS LHHC!

I disagree with Septic Flesh, but that's probably because Communion was my favorite album that I've heard by them. I personally disliked Revolution DNA and thought Sumerian Daemons was pretty good.

I'm pretty on the fence with Death Angel and Terrorizer.

Decapitated, I completely and utterly agree with. I absolutely hate their new vocalist for one and for two, the new album obviously sucked, although I liked a few songs on it, but none of them are anything compared to anything else in Decapitated's catalog.
10/18 Satan
10/21 King Diamond
10/22 Tombs ?
10/23 Pentagram ?
Old 02-26-2012, 05:38 AM
Long live Ronnie James Dio

Sorry, don't agree about Death Angel.
Old 02-26-2012, 05:41 AM
Happy birthday, darling. We love you very very very very very very much

Guns N' Roses should have broken up right after Use Your Illusion II.
3/15 Gogol Bordello
Old 02-26-2012, 06:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brutal_descent View Post
Guns N' Roses should have broken up right after Use Your Illusion II.
They lost their sound with Slash, if you like it or not.

Sepultura should've broken up right after that faithfull night in december 1996. And who bought Kairos anyway? I read some very good reviews, gave it short listen and I just couldn't get into it.
Old 02-26-2012, 06:59 AM
Not a number, I'm a free man

Thin Lizzy. It's not right without Phil.
7/1 - Iron Maiden - Luxembourg
10/31 - Fleetwood Mac
Old 02-26-2012, 07:03 AM
Leaving material world behind, I see your face in constellations.

Death Angel's last album was very good, so I don't agree at all about that. I'm sure their live performance is as good as thrash bands get as well, so I disagree with that.

I most especially disagree with SepticFlesh. Communion and The Great Mass are easily in the top three best albums of the year for their respective release dates. Those two albums make listening to the earlier albums a chore. Besides, just because they have taken a different approach doesn't mean they have to start a band under a different name with the same exact members.
Old 02-26-2012, 07:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SerpentineVIVIVI View Post
Death Angel's last album was very good, so I don't agree at all about that. I'm sure their live performance is as good as thrash bands get as well, so I disagree with that.

I most especially disagree with SepticFlesh. Communion and The Great Mass are easily in the top three best albums of the year for their respective release dates. Those two albums make listening to the earlier albums a chore. Besides, just because they have taken a different approach doesn't mean they have to start a band under a different name with the same exact members.
Death Angel is good fun live.

Last edited by MetalIsArt; 02-26-2012 at 08:30 AM.
Old 02-26-2012, 07:31 AM
Rats off to ya

Death Angel are still killer live and all of their albums since the reunion have been good IMO.
Old 02-26-2012, 07:35 AM
Altars of Radness

Quote:
Originally Posted by SerpentineVIVIVI View Post

There are some songs on Relentless Retribution that I enjoy, but there are more that bore me. Even the songs I enjoy come nowhere close to the material on the first three albums. But yeah, I'm sure they still sound great live. I've been meaning to catch them, but it seems like every time they play here it's on a day I'm unable to go.

As for Septic Flesh, you are right that taking a new approach doesn't mean you have to start a new band, but why do they so often ignore their old material? It just doesn't make sense to me to reunite your band and then act like the older albums don't exist. Between that and changing direction it suggests that they want to start over, not continue what they had started.