Nine Inch Nails -- Tinley Park, IL -- July 24th, 2014
Queen -- Columbia, MD -- July 20th, 2014
Deathwish Fest -- Cambridge, MA -- July 22nd, 2014

Go Back   WWW.METALSETLISTS.COM > Community Forums > Set Lists and Gig Reports

Old 02-16-2012, 04:47 AM
Remember - today is the first day of the end of your life

In Flames -- Montreal, Quebec -- February 15th, 2012

Venue: Metropolis

When I got into the venue, I was first shocked by the huge quantity of people that were already there: the 2300 capacity venue was almost already full (the concert was sold out), which is pretty rare these days. It seems like In Flames is not losing, but gaining popularity. Also, I know a fairly high percentage of the audience was there to see Trivium, thus the presence of many douchebags.

I had never heard of the first band, Kyng, before this tour was announced. I listened to their album and I didn’t like it that much: I thought it was too polished and poppy to be a good stoner rock album. However, as I expected, their songs were a lot more enjoyable in a live context. It was heavy, but again it felt too clean for me. No one seemed to know them, but they still got a decent crowd reaction.

The show really got started when Veil of Maya took the stage. As soon as the first riff to "[id]" kicked in, the whole floor just exploded and chaos ensued. At least half of the venue was transformed into a gigantic pit. For “We Bow in Its Aura” there was a huge circle pit and at some point there was also a wall of death. This was my fourth time seeing them and it was probably their best and the best crowd reaction I have seen for them (they were really astounded by it). The guitarist’s precise use of loop pedals to play two different layers of guitar at the same time always impresses me. For the new song, “Punisher”, I got out of the pit to listen to the song, and frankly, I didn’t like it that much. It had too much groove parts and not enough riffs; in my opinion, the other new one that they put online for streaming, “Vicious Circles” was way better. Anyway, I still have high expectations for the new record.

After about 30-40 minutes of intense moshing, I wanted to take a step back and save some energy for In Flames, so during Trivium’s set I went upstairs and just watched them play. Their performance was ok, but it was not outstanding. They played many songs from In Waves, which I don’t like that much, so although Matt Heafy is a good frontman, I started to get a little bored until they pulled out “Like Light to the Flies”. It was one of my favourite songs when I was a young teenager and it brought back memories. The two songs from Shogun and the “Peace Sells” teasers were also fun.

When they finished playing, I quickly went back to the floor part and managed to get myself a place near the stage. Because Sounds of a Playground Fading isn’t one of my favourite In Flames albums, because of the lack of older songs in the set and because of the high ticket price (37$), I had hesitated a long time before buying my ticket to this show, but In Flames is the band that introduced me to metal so I have a kind of debt to them. In the end, I had a blast therefore I don’t regret going. The first three songs were fun, but things really started to get serious with “Trigger”. Everybody was screaming their lungs out to the lyrics and was moshing like if it was a matter of life and death. There was also a lot of crowd surfing; during “Fear Is the Weakness” it became ridiculous. It started to be really annoying at that point: it sucks when you can’t appreciate the show without getting hit on the head.
I was really glad and surprised when they played “Only for the Weak”, because they hadn’t played it on the other dates. The jumping thing they always do for that song was fun, but afterwards it pissed me out that they cut out the song I was looking for to hear the most, “Swim”, to play it. Still, it was one of the highlights of the set. Another one for me was “Ropes”, because it’s one of my favourite songs from the new album (that melody’s so damn catchy ). Those who have already experienced an In Flames show know that Anders is one of the best frontmen ever. His speeches between songs are hilarious. For example, near the end of the set, some guy showed him his In Flames tattoo he had on his chest and Anders said something like “Ugh... don’t show me that! I’ve been seeing so many man boobs on this tour!” Anyway, everyone seemed to be having an incredible time, including the band, who were really impressed by the devoted crowd.

I'll probably see them again on the next tour, hoping they pull out tunes from The Jester Race, Whoracle (apart from "The Hive") and Colony this time.

Kyng

Pushing & Pulling
I Don't Believe
Trails in Veins
Trampled Sun
Falling Down
Shorelines

Veil of Maya

20/200
Crawl Back
Dark Passenger
Unbreakable
Punisher
Pillars
We Bow in It's Aura
It's Not Safe to Swim Today

Trivium

Capsizing The Sea (intro)
In Waves
Pull Harder on the Strings of Your Martyr
Black
Forsake Not the Dream
Departure
Built to Fall
Like Light to the Flies
Peace Sells (teaser)
Caustic Are the Ties That Bind
Down From the Sky
Throes of Perdition

In Flames

Sounds of a Playground Fading
Deliver Us
All for Me
Trigger
Alias
Only for the Weak
The Hive
The Quiet Place
Where the Dead Ships Dwell
Fear Is the Weakness
Come Clarity
Ropes
Darker Times
Delight and Angers
Cloud Connected
The Mirror's Truth
Take This Life
7/30 - Counterparts/Hundredth

http://www.last.fm/user/voidflame

Last edited by VoidFlame; 02-17-2012 at 02:16 PM.
Old 02-16-2012, 05:53 AM
N00B

I was there it was awesome!
The new songs are better live. Anders does a lot of low screams in between the parts where he normaly sings on the album. I think the album would have been much better with those screams.

Last edited by scouinci; 02-16-2012 at 01:28 PM.
Old 02-16-2012, 10:55 AM

Added my review.

Old 02-16-2012, 02:37 PM
Headbanger

mmm...

The main reason why I didn't go to this show was that too many new songs were played live...I'd rather see a mixed set of new and older songs... In Flames has always delivered good live performances, but I'll still wait for a 'best of' tour...But I was kinda surprised that they played over 14-15 songs, since this tour was supposedly a co-headlining tour...
Old 02-16-2012, 02:40 PM
Trainwreck Architect

First time I've ever missed an In Flames show since I got into them around when Reroute came out. I probably would have ended up going if I wasn't playing a show myself down the street lol. They always seem to play Only For The Weak in Montreal, even when it's not on the past setlists, I think it gets a really good reaction here with the jumping. It's always a highlight.
Old 02-16-2012, 08:16 PM
HEY! LISTEN!

I seem to remember In Flames recently having a lot more/better selection of older songs in their sets. This is kinda lame. I didn't really like the last one (but ASOP and CC are alright by me), but this seems like overkill.
Old 02-16-2012, 08:20 PM
The cameras are whores for the daily bloodshed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SomewhereInTime72 View Post
I seem to remember In Flames recently having a lot more/better selection of older songs in their sets. This is kinda lame. I didn't really like the last one (but ASOP and CC are alright by me), but this seems like overkill.
Not a big In Flames fan, but agreed.

07/28-Cannibal Corpse (?)
08/09-Heavy MTL (?)
08/10-Heavy MTL (?)
11/03-Suffocation, Kataklysm
Old 02-17-2012, 07:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HugeRockStar View Post
First time I've ever missed an In Flames show since I got into them around when Reroute came out. I probably would have ended up going if I wasn't playing a show myself down the street lol.
Just listened to your band, not bad! I'm gonna go see you play someday. You're the bassist, right?

Old 02-17-2012, 10:26 AM
Trainwreck Architect

ha thanks man, yeah I'm the bassist

Tags
in flames, kyng, trivium, veil of maya