Machine Head -- Buffalo, NY -- January 29th, 2012

I Am Hell
Be Still and Know
Imperium
Beautiful Mourning
The Blood, the Sweat, the Tears
Locust
This Is the End
Aesthetics of Hate (with 13 year old Anthony from Buffalo on guitar)
Old
Darkness Within
Bulldozer
Ten Ton Hammer
Who We Are

Halo
Davidian

Got to the venue a little after eight and heard sounds coming from the stage that I can only imagine a pig makes as it's getting anally raped. Turns out as I got closer to the stage it was just Suicide Silence playing As to how anyone can like that no song structure, rythmless noise is beyond me. During the last song the singer said that anyone who crowd surfed up to him would get to shake his hand and he only did that for like two people even though there were more that came up. That guy is a fucking asshole for that. Crowd surfing is dangerous, i've seen people get hurt doing that, and he gets people to do it then gives them nothing when they got up there like he said he would

Anyways, on to the good portion of the night. Machine Head was great!! During the intro to I Am Hell they used a more death metal vocal effect. I know they're trying to make it sound more demonic but it just sounded weird to me. I guess i'm just used to the album version. There was a good sized crowd that was very in to the show. Singing along with everything, moshing, jumping and most of all headbanging.

Now this is one of the coolest things i've ever seen in my almost 20 years of going to concerts. There was a kid holding a sign up that said "Machine Head, let this 13 year old kid play Aesthetics Of Hate with you". Rob mentioned it to the crowd and asked if the kid had chops and he invited the kid up to the stage and Rob gave him his guitar to play the song. The kid fuckin nailed the song to, i'm not talking about just the main riff or anything but he played the whole damn song. The band and the crowd were very impressed. Plus, the kid proved that at only 13 he already has more musical talent than Suicide Silence. Rob just took the mic and walked the stage signing the song. Phil guided the kid while playing and Rob came over a couple times to check on him and smiled because the kid did it so well. I'm not sure if that was planned before the show or what but the kid did end up going back to the same spot he was in a few songs latter after leaving from the stage. Since I haven't read about that in any other review i'm guessing it wasn't planned.

I know this will piss off jhdeity when he sees them but they do play the child choir intro for Who We Are. If you have to take your aggression out on anybody because of that, try to do it on one of those annoying ninja dancers if you can

The highlights were everything but The Blood, The Sweat, The Tears and Bulldozer. I get that they want to represent all their albums though and those two songs did give me a breather so it at least served a purpose. All the songs sounded great and it was a very good show by Machine Head filled with headbanging goodness
Old 01-29-2012, 08:47 PM
Rats off to ya

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sanitarium78 View Post
Plus, the kid proved that at only 13 he already has more musical talent than Suicide Silence.
That's pretty awesome that they let the kid play. I hope a video of that comes out.
Old 01-29-2012, 08:48 PM
Concert Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by BloodoftheKings View Post
That's pretty awesome that they let the kid play. I hope a video of that comes out.
There should be since there were a ton of people who took out their phones to record it. Something should be up on youtube soon I would think.
Old 01-29-2012, 08:50 PM
The cameras are whores for the daily bloodshed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sanitarium78 View Post
That guy is a fucking asshole for that. Crowd surfing is dangerous, i've seen people get hurt doing that, and he gets people to do it then gives them nothing when they got up there like he said he would

:
I've heard from numerous sources that that guy is a complete asshole. I fucking hate the way he dresses, too. Fuckin faggy ass skinny jeans. Who the hell would wanna shake that loser's hand anyway?

On the other hand (haha), very cool review, man.

11/03-Suffocation, Kataklysm (?)
11/25-Slayer (?)
Old 01-29-2012, 09:06 PM
Metal-Setlistcore

You can say a lot of things about deathcore, but I'm pretty sure structure-less and rhythm-less aren't some of them
Old 01-30-2012, 12:57 AM
rolling critical success on casting a level 7 stagedive

No song structure, and rythmless noise. Are you sure you didn't see Sunn O)))? Or Aids Wolf?
Old 01-30-2012, 12:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hellawaits77ny View Post
I've heard from numerous sources that that guy is a complete asshole. I fucking hate the way he dresses, too. Fuckin faggy ass skinny jeans..
I have a pair of skinny jeans.
Old 01-30-2012, 01:01 AM

And I'm laughing pretty hard at the OP's hate of Suicide Silence!

Especially the "crowdsurfing is dangerous, I've seen people get hurt doing that". Greg Puciato would like to have a word with you and your concert tastes.

Last edited by jd091; 01-30-2012 at 01:05 AM.
Old 01-30-2012, 05:03 AM
Concert Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by jd091 View Post
And I'm laughing pretty hard at the OP's hate of Suicide Silence!

Especially the "crowdsurfing is dangerous, I've seen people get hurt doing that". Greg Puciato would like to have a word with you and your concert tastes.
I don't hate Suicide Silence. That was just my first impression on seeing the band live. Their music is terrible but I don't hate them and they band isn't even a blip on my radar. In fact, i'll probably never speak of them again after this thread. I make jokes because they make it so easy to poke fun at them.

I stand by my statement about crowd surfing. It's the dumbest and most dangerous of crowd activities. Moshing and jumping have some control to it but crowd surfing does not. People are looking at the stage and them some idiot comes surfing up behind them where they can't see them coming. I mean just think about the stupidity of the whole concept for a minute.

There is nothing wrong with my concert tastes and who the fuck is Greg Puciato? Don't you know when you name drop somebody that it should be a name that people recognise right away

Last edited by Sanitarium78; 01-30-2012 at 05:55 AM.
Old 01-30-2012, 08:04 AM
When will Jesus bring the pork chops?

MH killed it last night. My highlights were Halo, Imperium, 13 year old Anthony, Locust and all the other new stuff. Great atmosphere from the band and crowd.

I love how some of these threads turn into a debate on whether these silly deathcore bands are good instead of the band who headlines that actually killed it. Machine Head was great. And Sanitarium is right. That 13 year old can play circles around the clowns from SS. And I don't think he means rythmless as in no beat, but as in no flow to the songs. Thats part and parcel with the song structure. It's just all over the place. The songs are stop and go, all those stupid breakdowns, and the screaming. It's like me and my friends who have little to no musical talent picking up instruments and playing. That's what these shitty bands sound like. And they keep taking up space at shows when a better band can be there. Or a band that's tolerable anyway. Maybe I was spoiled by growing up with 80s metal, thrash and NWOBHM bands. But I don't think that's the case. it just outright sucks. Usually I can find some sort of redeeming quality in a genre of music. This I can't. You know for whatever reason you guys like it that's your prerogative. I'm sure youre all cool guys who like different kinds of metal. I just don't get it.

Tags
machine head