Misery Signals -- Toronto, Ontario -- August 23rd, 2014

Go Back   WWW.METALSETLISTS.COM > Community Forums > Set Lists and Gig Reports

Old 01-28-2012, 08:26 PM
You can't save me any more than you can save yourself, so stop fucking trying

Machine Head -- Toronto, Ontario -- January 28th, 2012

Machine Head
Support: Suicide Silence, Darkest Hour
Venue: the Sound Academy in Toronto, Ontario

I got to the show pretty late. I like Darkest Hour enough but wasn't too interested in seeing them and I've heard so much negative press on Suicide Silence that I really didn't want to bother. I've heard a few songs and they did nothing for me. I got to the venue about fifteen minutes before Machine Head took the stage. I'm not a good judge of numbers just looking at a crowd but the place wasn't sold out. I think the cap for the Sound Academy is 3K, I'd say there was 2000-2500. But a big step up for Machine Head regardless, the last time they headlined Toronto was on the first round of touring for the Blackening and they filled a much, much smaller venue (the Opera House, around 800 cap).

They went on around 9:15 and played for around 1:45. Same set as other shows posted from this tour:

1. I Am Hell (Sonata in C#)
2. Be Still and Know
3. Imperium
4. Beautiful Mourning
5. The Blood, the Sweat, the Tears
6. Locust
7. This Is the End
8. Aesthetics of Hate
9. Old
10. Darkness Within
11. (Declaration)/Bulldozer
12. Ten Ton Hammer
13. Who We Are
--Encore--
14. Halo
15. Davidian

I was surprised that Imperium was the song that worked best for me tonight, I'm not the biggest fan of that album but tonight that song had me pumped. The new stuff all sounded great, especially Darkness Within while the older stuff just seemed out of place. Ten Ton Hammer was the song that first got me into Machine Head but it seemed REALLY out of place. Low points were The Blood, the Sweat, the Tears, Old, Bulldozer and (surprisingly) Locust. I've heard Locust so much since it first got released that I think it's just dead to me. Halo is another song that I'm a little tired of but it's still awesome. Overall the band sounded great except during Robbs vocals in the I Am Hell section of I Am Hell (Sonata in C#). They had some Glen Benton pitch-shifted effect going on that would've been cool if it wasn't way too loud in the mix and drowned everything else out. He was getting a little preachy during the intro to Locust but they had a delay effect that was a little loud in the mix too, so I have no fucking clue what he was talking about. I LOVED that they finished off the set with five minutes of ear-piercing feedback. I don't see too many bands in larger venues do that. Made me feel like I was in a smaller, better venue.

I'd see them again, not on the next leg of touring but maybe in a few years after another album.
11/01 - Suffocation
11/30 - Devin Townsend
12/06 - DistantWorlds:theMusicofFinalFantasy

Last edited by adamclark52; 01-28-2012 at 08:57 PM.
Old 01-28-2012, 09:13 PM
N00B

I want to start off saying I hate the fucking Sound Academy. Shows keep getting booked there since it's really the only venue of its size in Toronto, and it's lame as hell. In the middle of no where, the venue is so goddamn narrow that even tonight when it's not sold out you're either squished in the middle of the venue or at the back without being able to see the stage well. Luckily the had a barricade set up near the bar so I was able to just camp out there. Oh, and getting a cab tonight was a pain in the ass as well.

Anyway, I saw the whole show. I'm not a huge fan of Darkest Hour, and they didn't play the one song of their's I kind of enjoy (Demons), but they did aight. Suicide Silence had tons of energy and the crowd was going fucking apeshit for them, but I just can't get into their music. Even the 2 songs they played that I like (Wake up and You only live once) sounded bad.

Machine Head was great. This was only my 2nd time seeing them (First was Mayhem festival in 2008), so none of the songs seemed tired to me. I disagree about Old and Locust being low points, though i'll agree on the Blood, the Sweat, the Tears. Although luckily i'm not a big fan of Davidian (Most overrated song in MH's catalogue), so I got to squeeze out one last deuce and grab my coat before the rush of the crowd.
12/27 - Protest the Hero
Old 01-29-2012, 07:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnthG View Post
I want to start off saying I hate the fucking Sound Academy. Shows keep getting booked there since it's really the only venue of its size in Toronto, and it's lame as hell. In the middle of no where, the venue is so goddamn narrow that even tonight when it's not sold out you're either squished in the middle of the venue or at the back without being able to see the stage well. Luckily the had a barricade set up near the bar so I was able to just camp out there. Oh, and getting a cab tonight was a pain in the ass as well.

Anyway, I saw the whole show. I'm not a huge fan of Darkest Hour, and they didn't play the one song of their's I kind of enjoy (Demons), but they did aight. Suicide Silence had tons of energy and the crowd was going fucking apeshit for them, but I just can't get into their music. Even the 2 songs they played that I like (Wake up and You only live once) sounded bad.

Machine Head was great. This was only my 2nd time seeing them (First was Mayhem festival in 2008), so none of the songs seemed tired to me. I disagree about Old and Locust being low points, though i'll agree on the Blood, the Sweat, the Tears. Although luckily i'm not a big fan of Davidian (Most overrated song in MH's catalogue), so I got to squeeze out one last deuce and grab my coat before the rush of the crowd.
I always thought that the Kool Haus/Guvernment was around the same size. I hate the Sound Academy too but I hate large venues as a whole. I was able to get there late but found a decent enough spot by the soundboard against that big black wall where my line of site was perfect. The stage could be higher. If you ask me nothing beats the Opera House!

I wouldn't be surprised after one or two more albums in their current style if they completely abandon their old songs, save for Davidian as the closer. It's like two different bands.
11/01 - Suffocation
11/30 - Devin Townsend

Last edited by adamclark52; 01-29-2012 at 07:51 AM.
Old 01-29-2012, 10:54 AM
N00B

I like Sound Academy and Kool Haus

and I used to love the Opera House but last few times i went security has been lame as fuck
Old 01-29-2012, 11:27 AM
N00B

Kool Haus fits about 800-ish less people than Sound Academy from what i've read.

And I really like Kool Haus. It's a lot easier to get to and a lot more spacious inside and easier to move around despite the smaller size. Shows don't get booked there as often as they used to though.
12/27 - Protest the Hero
Old 01-29-2012, 12:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnthG View Post
Kool Haus fits about 800-ish less people than Sound Academy from what i've read.

And I really like Kool Haus. It's a lot easier to get to and a lot more spacious inside and easier to move around despite the smaller size. Shows don't get booked there as often as they used to though.
I miss the Kool Haus, it's not as intimate as some other smaller venues but some of my earliest concerts back in the late '90's were there. Shit, I saw fucking Meshuggah open for Slayer there.
11/01 - Suffocation
11/30 - Devin Townsend
Old 01-29-2012, 01:06 PM
May you go marching in three-measure time, dressed up as asses and drunk to the nines...

As far as a concert venue, I like the Sound Academy. It's the location that makes it suck. There's nothing else around there so you can't really go grab a beer and some food beforehand and getting a cab out of there sucks ass. I've never been a big fan of the Kool Haus, and I really wish it was still called the Warehouse. WTF was wrong with that name? Why'd they have to gay it up like that? Opera House is still my favourite Toronto concert venue, it's too bad it's so small.

Tags
machine head