Home Set Lists Forums The Permanent Record Asshole Opinion

The Story So Far -- Lawrence, KS -- September 30th, 2014
Coheed and Cambria -- Boston, MA -- September 28th, 2014
Vixen -- Madrid, Spain -- September 27th, 2014
Crowbar -- Vancouver, British Columbia -- September 28th, 2014
Saviours -- San Francisco, CA -- September 27th, 2014

  #51  
Old 01-25-2012, 01:17 PM
treghet's Avatar
treghet treghet is offline
Altars of Radness
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Los Angeles, CA
Posts: 5,851
Retribution is my favorite Malevolent Creation album as well. I can't get enough of it.

And nice pick with Convulse.
__________________
9.28 Sadistic Intent / Morbid Saint
10.20 Raven
Reply With Quote
  #52  
Old 01-25-2012, 02:33 PM
GarageMetal468's Avatar
GarageMetal468 GarageMetal468 is offline
WELCOME TO THE WEST COAST
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Illinois
Posts: 3,298
#52

Repugnant - Epitome of Darkness



Genre: Death/Thrash Metal

Incredible release from an interesting band. The frontman has been the only consistent member since the band formed in 1998 or so. He then got a lineup to record this monster of an album and then disbanded the band. Luckily they have reunited and started playing shows again (they fucking kill live, by the way). Anyway, this album draws influences from all sorts of death metal. Proto death metal, 90s American death metal, and of course, Swedish death metal. You wouldn't be able to tell right away that this band is in fact, from Sweden! The killer production could be a giveaway, though. Indeed, this is one of the greater death metal albums to come out in somewhat recent times.

And would you believe that the frontman of this band is also the singer for Ghost? Yep.

Highlights:
Premature Burial
Draped In Cerecloth - One of my favorite tracks although it's not the album version. Still worth listening to!
Spawn of Pure Malevolence
__________________
https://www.facebook.com/nucleusmetal
http://nucleus.bandcamp.com/album/the-colony
Reply With Quote
  #53  
Old 01-25-2012, 02:43 PM
GarageMetal468's Avatar
GarageMetal468 GarageMetal468 is offline
WELCOME TO THE WEST COAST
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Illinois
Posts: 3,298
#51

Fleshgod Apocalypse - Oracles



Genre: Brutal/Technical Death Metal

There have been a lot of tech death releases in the past few years, but there has been absolutely nothing like this album. Classical inspired tech death? Interesting at first and then you take a listen and it blows you away. This album is fucking crazy. Blazing fast riffs and drums make this album one hell of a monster. There are a few classical violins thrown in some songs, somehow they fit but I don't know how to describe them. Either way, this album surely has been heard by a lot of people in the past year alone, but it seems that it has been overlooked recently since Agony came out. I personally think Oracles is a much better album.

Highlights:
In Honour of Reason
As Tyrants Fall
At the Guillotine
__________________
https://www.facebook.com/nucleusmetal
http://nucleus.bandcamp.com/album/the-colony
Reply With Quote
  #54  
Old 01-25-2012, 03:18 PM
GarageMetal468's Avatar
GarageMetal468 GarageMetal468 is offline
WELCOME TO THE WEST COAST
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Illinois
Posts: 3,298
#50

Macabre - Dahmer



Genre: Death Metal/Thrash/Grindcore

It's hard to classify Macabre into one genre (well their first album was obviously grindcore), but death metal definitely sticks out as the biggest aspect of their music. All their lyrics focus on serial killers and murders throughout history, and they outdid themselves with a concept album about one of the most infamous killers ever, Jeffrey Dahmer. A sick and twisted story is interpreted the same way as music, with some humor thrown in. The songs are all very catchy, heavy, and all around well structured. It's hard to do that and have a concept going at the same time, but Macabre pulls it off very well. I highly recommend this album to any fans of metal in general.

Highlights:
Hitchiker
Grandmother's House
Scrub a Dub Dub
__________________
https://www.facebook.com/nucleusmetal
http://nucleus.bandcamp.com/album/the-colony
Reply With Quote
  #55  
Old 01-25-2012, 03:30 PM
OraclesofAgony's Avatar
OraclesofAgony OraclesofAgony is offline
Born Again In Blasphemy
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Carlsbad, CA
Posts: 2,210
Quote:
Originally Posted by GarageMetal468 View Post
#51

Fleshgod Apocalypse - Oracles



Genre: Brutal/Technical Death Metal

There have been a lot of tech death releases in the past few years, but there has been absolutely nothing like this album. Classical inspired tech death? Interesting at first and then you take a listen and it blows you away. This album is fucking crazy. Blazing fast riffs and drums make this album one hell of a monster. There are a few classical violins thrown in some songs, somehow they fit but I don't know how to describe them. Either way, this album surely has been heard by a lot of people in the past year alone, but it seems that it has been overlooked recently since Agony came out. I personally think Oracles is a much better album.

Highlights:
In Honour of Reason
As Tyrants Fall
At the Guillotine


Amazing album. I like the Mafia material the most, but it is only an EP.
__________________
10/17 Mastodon/Gojira
Reply With Quote
  #56  
Old 01-25-2012, 03:51 PM
daimonos's Avatar
daimonos daimonos is offline
Fairies wear boots and ya gotta believe me.
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Chicago, IL
Posts: 3,598
Quote:
Originally Posted by GarageMetal468 View Post
#56

Rottrevore - Iniquitous



Genre: Death Metal

Dark. Raw. Crushing. These are the perfect words to describe this classic old school death metal gem. Everything about this album is just low and heavy. The riffs, the vocals, the bass, the drumming, everything is just dark and heavy. This is something you should definitely check out if you're into 90s death metal. My friend went to New York to see these guys last summer... lucky motherfucker. They do have some new material out as well. I haven't listened to it yet, but yeah, good to know these guys are still out there killing it!

Highlights:
Ceased By Failure
Spawn of Ignorance
Disembodied
They're based in Pittsburgh. I sort of know one of the guitarists. Almost auditioned to be the new drummer but I figured I wouldn't have enough time.
__________________
I've lost track of just about everything.
Reply With Quote
  #57  
Old 01-25-2012, 04:10 PM
BloodoftheKings's Avatar
BloodoftheKings BloodoftheKings is offline
Rats off to ya
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Strong Island
Posts: 5,943
Quote:
Originally Posted by GarageMetal468 View Post
#50

Macabre - Dahmer



Genre: Death Metal/Thrash/Grindcore

It's hard to classify Macabre into one genre (well their first album was obviously grindcore), but death metal definitely sticks out as the biggest aspect of their music. All their lyrics focus on serial killers and murders throughout history, and they outdid themselves with a concept album about one of the most infamous killers ever, Jeffrey Dahmer. A sick and twisted story is interpreted the same way as music, with some humor thrown in. The songs are all very catchy, heavy, and all around well structured. It's hard to do that and have a concept going at the same time, but Macabre pulls it off very well. I highly recommend this album to any fans of metal in general.

Highlights:
Hitchiker
Grandmother's House
Scrub a Dub Dub
Reply With Quote
  #58  
Old 01-25-2012, 05:00 PM
GarageMetal468's Avatar
GarageMetal468 GarageMetal468 is offline
WELCOME TO THE WEST COAST
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Illinois
Posts: 3,298
Quote:
Originally Posted by daimonos View Post
They're based in Pittsburgh. I sort of know one of the guitarists. Almost auditioned to be the new drummer but I figured I wouldn't have enough time.
Yeah I know they're in Pittsburgh, but they were playing A Day of Death in New York over the summer with Deceased, Insanity, and a bunch of others. And damn... you the drummer of Rottrevore?! I probably wouldn't have met you if you had gotten the spot but that's still awesome you were gonna try!
__________________
https://www.facebook.com/nucleusmetal
http://nucleus.bandcamp.com/album/the-colony
Reply With Quote
  #59  
Old 01-25-2012, 05:19 PM
GarageMetal468's Avatar
GarageMetal468 GarageMetal468 is offline
WELCOME TO THE WEST COAST
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Illinois
Posts: 3,298
#49

Gorguts - The Erosion of Sanity



Genre: Technical Death Metal

This was another band that was hard to choose from. Gorguts has 4 full lengths out, and they are all good in their own way, but I personally like The Erosion of Sanity the most. On this album, Gorguts combines the raw intensity of old school death metal with extreme technicality to create an obscure death metal sound of their own. The riffs are are very defined and even more technical. Again, any fans of tech death should check out not only this underrated album, but this band in general.

Oh, and if you want a real mind fuck, listen to the album Obscura.

Highlights:
Condemned to Obscurity
Orphans of Sickness
Odors of Existence
__________________
https://www.facebook.com/nucleusmetal
http://nucleus.bandcamp.com/album/the-colony
Reply With Quote
  #60  
Old 01-25-2012, 05:50 PM
hellawaits77ny's Avatar
hellawaits77ny hellawaits77ny is offline
The cameras are whores for the daily bloodshed.
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Upstate, NY
Posts: 3,742
Blog Entries: 25
Retribution

FUCK YEAH!!!!
__________________
youtube.com/user/hellawaits77NY

11/03-Suffocation, Kataklysm (?)
11/25-Slayer (?)
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -8. The time now is 04:38 AM.


Blah Blah Blah Copyright WWW.METALSETLISTS.COM 2008