Home Set Lists Forums The Permanent Record Asshole Opinion

Queen + Adam Lambert -- Boston, MA -- July 22nd, 2014
Devourment -- Rochester, NY -- July 21, 2014
Nine Inch Nails -- Morrison, CO -- July 21st, 2014
Helmet -- West Hollywood, CA -- July 11th, 2014
Mastodon -- Nordfjordied, Norway -- July 18th, 2014

Old 01-31-2012, 04:20 PM
WELCOME TO THE WEST COAST

Alright, one more album to post for the day and then the top 10 begins tomorrow! I think I'll do one a day, with 5 of my favorite songs in the highlights.
Old 01-31-2012, 04:33 PM

Winter - Into Darkness

Genre: Death/Doom Metal

I'm sure you all the know the band Agalloch, as well as their music. Their music creates an atmosphere as if it were winter, and you are walking through a snow covered forest. It is grey out, the snow is falling lightly and you feel as if you are in a higher state of mind. Winter's music creates a winter-like (ho ho!) atmosphere too. Except, with Agalloch, you feel as if you in a beautiful white forest. With Winter, you are in a snow covered wasteland, cold winds blowing, nothing in sight with all the fog in the way. Winter combine both death metal and doom metal equally to make one hell of an album. The tones of all the instruments are nothing I've heard before. They are so dark and low tuned. The vocals are very low as well, yet very comprehensible. This is one of the darkest, heaviest and slowest death and doom metal albums out there. Recommended for a darker, cold evening.

Highlights:
Oppression Freedom/Oppresion Reprise + Servants of the Warsmen
Eternal Frost
Into Darkness
Old 01-31-2012, 04:48 PM
rolling critical success on casting a level 7 stagedive

Quote:
Originally Posted by GarageMetal468 View Post

Winter - Into Darkness

Genre: Death/Doom Metal

I'm sure you all the know the band Agalloch, as well as their music. Their music creates an atmosphere as if it were winter, and you are walking through a snow covered forest. It is grey out, the snow is falling lightly and you feel as if you are in a higher state of mind. Winter's music creates a winter-like (ho ho!) atmosphere too. Except, with Agalloch, you feel as if you in a beautiful white forest. With Winter, you are in a snow covered wasteland, cold winds blowing, nothing in sight with all the fog in the way. Winter combine both death metal and doom metal equally to make one hell of an album. The tones of all the instruments are nothing I've heard before. They are so dark and low tuned. The vocals are very low as well, yet very comprehensible. This is one of the darkest, heaviest and slowest death and doom metal albums out there. Recommended for a darker, cold evening.

Highlights:
Oppression Freedom/Oppresion Reprise + Servants of the Warsmen
Eternal Frost
Into Darkness

Awesome description. Never got into these guys before; I'll make sure to give it a shot.
Old 02-01-2012, 12:13 AM
The cameras are whores for the daily bloodshed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Natrlhi View Post
Some folks just don't seem to want to accept that the progressive, technical band that was Death before Chuck died started out as a brutally heavy, genre-founding, ground-shaking, filthy, dirty, screaming, growling behemoth.

FUCK YEAH!! That's the Death I love. No disrespect to their later material, but as many of you know I'm more a fan of brute than tech.

07/28-Cannibal Corpse (?)
08/09-Heavy MTL (?)
08/10-Heavy MTL (?)
11/03-Suffocation, Kataklysm
Old 02-01-2012, 07:09 AM

Dismember - Like an Ever Flowing Stream

Genre: Death Metal

Here is one of the two bands that repeats on here. Really, I didn't expect to have two Dismember albums my self but I can't choose only one between this one and Indecent & Obscene. While Indecent & Obscene has the aggression and raw brutality I love, Like An Everflowing Stream has better song structure and melody to it, combined with the usual Swedish death metal brutality, and that's what separates Dismember from not only the other classic Swedish death metal bands, but all death metal bands in general. The classic guitar tone is more than audible on this album, and it makes the more melodic guitar solos, riffs, and leads sound more defined. There is definitely a hardcore punk influence on here with the faster songs as well. Overall, this is my favorite Swedish death metal album because it combines so many good aspects of music into one album.

Highlights:
Override of the Overture
Bleed for Me
And So Is Life At 1:45 you hear one of my favorite moments in music ever.
In Death's Sleep
Defective Decay
Old 02-01-2012, 09:39 AM
not the mama

My favorite death metal record ever!
Old 02-01-2012, 05:27 PM
Hagbard Celine, H.M., S.H.

Quote:
At 1:45 you hear one of my favorite moments in music ever
From 1:45 to 2:31 is the best part of the album.
Old 02-01-2012, 05:38 PM
rolling critical success on casting a level 7 stagedive

Quote:

Skinless - Trample the Weak, Hurdle the Dead

Genre: Brutal Death Metal

I'm not gonna lie, this album was a complete surprise, especially with the 3 albums Skinless put out before this one. Their first 2 were just straight up brutal death metal, focusing on gore and whatnot. Then they put out From Sacrifice to Survival, which seemed like a step in a more melodic direction, which really isn't Skinless at all. And then they put out this one. GOD DAMN. What a change, and for the better. This album is non stop chaos from beginning to end. The sound samples are back, and you can already tell from the first one (I believe it's from Conquest of the Planet of the Apes) that the whole album is about war. Additionally, Skinless got their brutality back and it's much more brutal than ever. Part of the reasoning of this could be from the new vocalist that they got on this album. If you saw Origin live over this previous summer, I'm sure you know who Jason Keyser is. He's one hell of a vocalist and definitely helps make this album as intense as it is. Fans of brutal death metal, maybe even slam, check this album out immediately!

Highlights:
Overlord
Trample the Weak, Hurdle the Dead
Execution of Reason
Didn't see that you picked this one way back there, and didn't see it get any love. It's fucking fantastic; great to see it get some representation.
Old 02-02-2012, 09:11 AM

Suffocation - Effigy of the Forgotten

Genre: Brutal Death Metal

The very first brutal death metal album. One of the most innovative, inspiring, and awesome albums ever. A lot of people would expect Pierced From Within to be on here, which is also a great album, but I'm biased against it because drummer Mike Smith isn't on that. I personally think that he is the driving force on this album. He completely changed blast beats for the death metal sound. He is a god damn monster on here. That's not to say that the other musicians aren't good either. The guitars are low tuned of course, but the riffs are catchy and heavy as well. And we all know our lovable friend Frank Mullen. Very fitting and powerful vocals. This album is history in brutal death metal. Oh, and this album has the ORIGINAL brutal breakdowns and slams. None of that watered down one note the whole time garbage. Effigy of the Forgotten is brutal, heavy, and history.

Highlights:
Liege of Inveracity - 2:53, that is all.
Effigy of the Forgotten
Infecting the Crypts
Habitual Infamy
Reincremation
Old 02-02-2012, 10:30 AM
and you can never quarantine the past

I was just listening to Nile before this. Now I realize that the two bands sound almost exactly like (except for the occasional tech-riffs and middle-eastern shit).

I still wouldn't listen to Suffocation, but at least now I realize I don't hate them.

--

Okay, NOW I'm done. I hope.