Home Set Lists Forums The Permanent Record Asshole Opinion

311 -- Lansing, MI -- July 9th, 2014
Ceremonial Castings -- Seattle, WA -- July 7th, 2014
Flotsam and Jetsam -- West Hollywood, CA -- July 9th, 2014
King Buzzo -- Dover, NH -- July 9th, 2014
Slash -- Hampton Beach, NH -- July 9th, 2014

Old 08-27-2012, 11:47 AM
Leaving material world behind, I see your face in constellations.

San Jose Questions

Since there are a lot of Californians here, I figured this is a good place to get some quick info. I'm moving to the San Jose area in a year, and I have to start looking around for places to live. There are a few questions I have to supplement the research I've already done:

1) What is the price range for a one bedroom or studio apartments in or around San Jose?

2) What are the "best areas"? I've heard Cupertino, Los Gatos, and Santa Clara be thrown around, however I want to have as much knowledge on neighboring cities.

3) Is there any sort of music scene there? This is obviously minor relative to the other questions but it would be nice to know.

Thanks for the help ahead of time.

Last edited by SerpentineVIVIVI; 08-27-2012 at 11:49 AM.
Old 08-28-2012, 07:15 AM
Metal is proof that Satan loves us and wants us to be happy.

I don't know about San Jose in particular, but the music scene around the Bay Area in general is fucking outstanding. So much so, that I fucking hate your guts right now.

Just kidding.

No, I'm not. I hate you.
Old 08-28-2012, 07:23 AM
Meanwhile, behind the facade of this innocent looking bookstore...

Bay area metal scene + the Sharks = win

9/7 Sebastian Bach
11/7 Snakecharmer
20/7 Onslaught
30/7 King Diamond
Old 08-28-2012, 07:26 AM

^ The best part of this post is that whether you capitalize the word "sharks" or not, it's still correct.
Old 08-28-2012, 12:32 PM
Kvlt,Grim,Frostbitten,and Grindage

I know for a fact they have a sick Grindcore scene. Other than that Happy Meal toys are banned from that county
7/25-Municipal Waste or Exodus??
8/1-Ceremony/Dangers
Old 08-28-2012, 02:02 PM
Director, Set List Intelligence

I wouldn't just think about music in San Jose. It's really about the Bay Area. San Jose is somewhat the southern tip of it all. San Francisco is a trivial drive to the North. Plus you have the East Bay corridor heading up into Oakland, Berkeley, and Concord.

A couple of hours Northeast of the Bay Area: Sacramento.

Santa Cruz is 30 minutes south of San Jose; Monterey, about 30 minutes further down the coast. Monterey has two music festivals of global reputation: the Monterey Bay Blues Festival and the Monterey Jazz Festival.

Within a couple hours of the Bay Area, you have access to all kinds of music and scenes.
Old 08-28-2012, 05:02 PM
I like the way the line runs up the back of the stocking

What are you moving for?
San Jose isn't particularly great as far as the scene or venues, but like Turk says the great thing is that you're less than an hour away from SF, Oakland/Berkley and Santa Cruz, and you don't have to take a bridge to get anywhere. I'd say that Oakland is the place to be for local bands.

Prices depend on where you're looking since like anywhere else, things vary from one neighborhood to another.
San Jose itself is enormous but just downtown a one bedroom/studio starts at $800-1000 and can be up to around $2000. The area isn't great aesthetically but it's close to all the bars, clubs, SJSU, etc...
South SJ is generally cheaper but probably farther away from wherever you're gonna be working.
East is cheaper since its... the east side.
North is basically Santa Clara, I don't really know much about it.
Cupertino is kind of an upper class suburban area built around Apple and some other tech companies.
Los Gatos is farther in the hills but supposed to be nice.
If I remember correctly the creator lives in Sunnyvale...
I don't know how much that helps you, but that's what I know. As you'd expect the nicer, more accessible areas are going to be more expensive. I'd suggest looking on Craigslist if you haven't already. Feel free to ask if you have anything more specific and I'll tell you what I can.
Old 08-28-2012, 05:09 PM
I like the way the line runs up the back of the stocking

And funny you should mention Sharks/sharks, one of my friends just posted this last night
Old 08-28-2012, 07:35 PM
One who onions things

Tony and Ed pretty much nailed it on the head. San Jose isn't too great in and of itself, but it's really a pretty good location to reside in the Bay Area just because of how easy it is to get to the other parts of the bay. I went to high school in Los Gatos- it's really nice aesthetically, but living there is beyond expensive and if you're not half of an old white couple, you'll probably get sick of the place really fast.

When it comes to the music, I don't really know what you'd want to define as a "scene." If you mean that the bay has a ton of really amazing bands spanning a really good variety of genres then sure, we have a great scene. For an already experienced musician, this place is great- people are in a ton of different bands simultaneously and are generally all really tight with one another. Sadly, turnouts for small shows anywhere in the bay usually suck regardless of the genre and it doesn't help that those great bands almost always play 21+ shows. That may not be a factor on your end, but all ages shows are often pretty depressing up here. In a way, it's almost like the shows played by the really great bands here (Slough Feg, Hammers of Misfortune, Cormorant etc) are really done only for themselves and their friends who want to hang out and get drunk, not the fans who actually love their music. The young thrash bands who play here get the shittiest turnouts though, and they don't support each other one bit. The old veterans from the '80s are always a good time to go see anywhere in the bay though, and you're bound to run into a few legends if you go to enough shows. All the Profound Lore bands tend to have cool shows as well, even if half of the audience are fucking hipsters (Agalloch and Yob come to mind).

To me, a good "scene" means both camaraderie between the artists and unity and dedication from the audience- the bay is missing the fans who are willing to go out and support fledgling bands and give up what they define as "good music" or whatever the hell. Honestly, when I started making friends at shows here I thought the scene was amazing, but then I saw that people were forming cliques for no good reason and that would actually affect turnouts up here-it was like these guys were in high school all over again. New bands practically don't stand a chance here unless they somehow align themselves with the whole John Cobbett gang or kiss enough promoters' asses.

Sorry for the rant, but I just felt like I had to clear up the whole "bay area music scene" deal. Yes we probably have the single most awesome collection of bands in the world, but it doesn't mean much when the fans only appreciate them through their recorded works.
Impaled (?) - 8/15
Sleep - 8/30
Swans - 9/10
King Diamond - 10/31
Old 08-29-2012, 06:50 AM

To the one who onions things:

While every word of what you said above may be true, it's still better than what most cities have going - even many of the big ones. With that in mind, the Bay Area scene - even with all its warts, granted - is still probably better than what most folks on this forum have access to.

Beats the fuck out of Cleveland, I can tell you that much.

EDIT: @ The Tony - that's a beautiful Leopard. Those guys catch it by accident, or what?

Last edited by Natrlhi; 08-29-2012 at 06:53 AM.