311 -- Lansing, MI -- July 9th, 2014
Ceremonial Castings -- Seattle, WA -- July 7th, 2014
Flotsam and Jetsam -- West Hollywood, CA -- July 9th, 2014
King Buzzo -- Dover, NH -- July 9th, 2014

Old 01-17-2012, 06:25 PM
That Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocco44 View Post
Great fucking list so far, love a lot of these albums.
Thanks man, that means a lot!
Old 01-17-2012, 06:26 PM
That Guy

28.) Mastodon- Crack The Skye

I have come to a conclusion ever since the release of The Hunter a few months back. Anyone who is a Prog fan regards Crack The Skye as their best album, anyone who hates Prog thinks this, and The Hunter are their worst albums.....obviously with me being here I am a Prog Fan. Crack The Skye is by far their best album, with The Hunter taking second place. Not to disregard their Proggy Sludge Metal roots, but come on. Crack The Skye is the definition of Epic Metal. It has a concept that no one can fully explain, 7 songs, catchy, heavy, thought provoking, and only the title track has any kind of screaming (Scott Kelly of Neurosis provides those screams). Mastodon took a big risk making this album, and If I do say so myself, it was the best decision they ever made to this point. Hell they are going to be touring with Opeth and Ghost later in the year (look for information on that soon.) If you can only think of Mastodon as a Sludgy Metal band, and are a prog fan, do yourself a favor and give this album the chance it deserves. You won't be a disappointed.

Favorite Song: Crack The Skye
Old 01-17-2012, 06:27 PM
Buahahahahaha

Quote:
Originally Posted by MPF View Post
I have come to a conclusion ever since the release of The Hunter a few months back. Anyone who is a Prog fan regards Crack The Skye as their best album, anyone who hates Prog thinks this, and The Hunter are their worst albums.
I disprove your theory.
10/30 KING DIAMOND
Old 01-17-2012, 06:30 PM
SADISTIC, MAGICIAN

2 albums I don't like thus far, and apart from those, only one band that probably wouldn't make a list like this if I ever make one. Awesome dude!
Old 01-17-2012, 06:50 PM
That Guy

27.) Clutch- Pure Rock Fury

What was said about Crack The Skye can almost be said about Pure Rock Fury, until Strange Cousins From The West came out, a lot of Clutch fans say Pure Rock Fury is their weakest album. While it may not be the best album, it is by far my favorite, because the name is actually what the album give you....PURE ROCK FURY. It combines the best 60-70's Psychedelic Rock, with 90's Rock's catchyness. Before From Beale St. To Oblivion and the song Electric Worry rocketed them to a 3 week success. Careful With That Mic was their biggest song, and still gets some radio airplay from time to time. But it's the other songs that really makes this one perfection, like Pure Rock Fury, Immortal, Drink To The Dead, etc. It's quite a change in their sound from what they did up at the point (a lot of DC Hardcore influence on their previous albums). This and The Elephant Riders really mark their change to their bluesy roots they still do to this day. But there is no denying the catchyness in this album. It's as if Zappa made an album with Clutch. Check this out, it's well worth your time.

Favorite Song: Pure Rock Fury
Old 01-17-2012, 06:53 PM
Hell Bent for Liquor

Quote:
Originally Posted by MPF View Post
I have come to a conclusion ever since the release of The Hunter a few months back. Anyone who is a Prog fan regards Crack The Skye as their best album, anyone who hates Prog thinks this, and The Hunter are their worst albums.....obviously with me being here I am a Prog Fan. Crack The Skye is by far their best album, with The Hunter taking second place. Not to disregard their Proggy Sludge Metal roots, but come on. Crack The Skye is the definition of Epic Metal. It has a concept that no one can fully explain, 7 songs, catchy, heavy, thought provoking, and only the title track has any kind of screaming (Scott Kelly of Neurosis provides those screams). Mastodon took a big risk making this album, and If I do say so myself, it was the best decision they ever made to this point. Hell they are going to be touring with Opeth and Ghost later in the year (look for information on that soon.) If you can only think of Mastodon as a Sludgy Metal band, and are a prog fan, do yourself a favor and give this album the chance it deserves. You won't be a disappointed.

Great list so far, man!
11.03 King Diamond
01.22 70000 Tons of Metal
01.27 Dark Tranquillity
Old 01-17-2012, 07:04 PM
That Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by slapguitarer View Post
I disprove your theory.
A lot of people can, but those that can, don't make the majority.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dextrimental View Post
2 albums I don't like thus far, and apart from those, only one band that probably wouldn't make a list like this if I ever make one. Awesome dude!
Damn, that's pretty cool. Thanks man!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Epidemic Reign View Post

Great list so far, man!
Thank you sir! I'm glad I'm not alone about Mastodon.
Old 01-17-2012, 07:06 PM
That Guy

26.) Woods Of Ypres- Woods V: Grey Skies & Electric Light

Is it a bit premature to say that this 2012 release is in my top 50 favorites, especially considering that this album just came out in January? Possibly, but I don't think it's going to change. Woods Of Ypres is what I consider to be a heavier, Canadian version of Type O Negative, except heavier and better. Woods Of Ypres frontman and creative Mastermind David Gold, was tragically killed in a car accident on December 21st. 2011. And this album was just about to be released. These guys played in Minnesota mid 2011, and I couldn't regret more not being able to see them. Since receiving the Promo for this album (gotta love radio I tell you what) I've played this album about 3 times a day, and that won't be stopping for a while. The music is too damn good to ignore, and the lyrics are now, looking back on what happened to David Gold, is just chilling. The last two tracks are apart of a song called, Kiss My Ashes Goodbye, it's almost as if he predicted his own demise in an eerie way. It's such a chilling but incredible album. If you want a darker, but folky and catchy Metal album with almost all clean vocals. Check out Woods Of Ypres. and once this becomes available, get this album ASAP!

Favorite Track: Career Suicide (Is Not Real Suicide)
Old 01-17-2012, 07:16 PM
That Guy

25.) Scale The Summit- The Collective

I'll say this now, knowing many will not agree. But this is the best instrumental album I have ever heard. And I say that as an Instrumental music lover since Junior High when I first heard the song....actually I'll get into that later down the road. But yes, Scale The Summit made a masterpiece with The Collective. Taking an almost 180 turn, from the bright and major keys of Carving Desert Canyons and Monuments, to a dark Minor Key and overall BETTER sound with The Collective. 45 minutes of pure instrumental heaven (Perfect for trips to and from band practice) They get very heavy with songs like Origin Of Species, epic with Whales and one of the best endings ever with Drifting Figures. The last riff of Origin Of Species is one of my top 5 favorite riffs ever created. It's pure Prog goodness, very Dream Theater-esque done by Scale The Summit. Having gotten to hang out with Christ Letchford twice in 2011, I know that the rest of the guys are just as cool as he is, and know their shit when it comes to music. And that's what I really appreciate in music no matter what genre. For the best 45 minute instrumental album you will ever heard. listen to The Collective. It changed my life for the better, and it hasn't even been a year since it came out.

Favorite Song: Origin Of Species
Old 01-17-2012, 07:25 PM
That Guy

24.) Sum 41- Chuck

Another album that I know no one would have guessed I'd consider to be a top 50 album, let alone top 25! I hadn't been a fan of these guys before this time outside a couple songs, and after this album, in my humble opinion began to really suck. But Chuck....DAMN! What a great Pop Rock/Metal album. I'm a sucker for a band who knows how to be heavy and when to be poppy and catchy without intentionally doing it to make a quick buck. All these songs came from the heart and you can hear it in their playing. It constantly changes from going Metal to being very heartfelt in a great mixture and roller coaster of music. That can't often be said from a mainstream band. Even when putting this list together I listened all the way though a few times and remembered everything I loved about this album, and none of that has changed since I bought it. Again to venture outside the box and looking to get a mainstream album that doesn't suck...get Chuck!

Favorite Song: Pieces