Tom Petty & The Heartbreakers -- Clarkston, MI -- August 24th, 2014
Cheap Trick -- Boston, MA -- August 27th, 2014
Misery Signals -- Toronto, Ontario -- August 23rd, 2014
Rhapsody of Fire -- Cd. Obregon, Mex -- August 24th, 2014

Old 01-17-2012, 02:10 PM
That Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by DementedX14 View Post
Great summary! This album means a lot to me also. When I started to learn about the other genres of metal beside nu-metal and hard rock. I would often look at the amazon pages on the different sub-genres and when I first looked at the Death Metal page in 2004 it had this album on the top. Of course this is not a traditional Death Metal album but at the time this was the most extreme thing that I have ever encountered at the time. I listen to the preview tracks and I knew right away I had to buy it. Anyways, Great choice and not take anything away from Archetype but I have to honestly say that Demanufacture will always be considered their best album IMO. I just wished that Fear Factory will just considered at LEAST putting "Archetype" in their future setlists.
The reason why the song Archetype won't be on any setlists is because it is about how Fear Factory is better without Dino:

Quote:
The infection has been removed
The soul of this machine has improved
That's totally about Dino, Burton has said that a lot during that time. But yeah I would kill to hear ANY Archetype song.

Oh yeah I should get back to work on this.

Back in a few.
Old 01-17-2012, 02:46 PM
That Guy

34.) Textures- Drawing Circles

Textures is the first band that made an impact on the Progressive Metal scene before the term Djent became popular (sorry Bulb....Textures used Meshuggah as an influence before you, but I'll get back to you later) This combined exactly what I consider the Djent term to be....Meshuggah with Melody. Drawing Circles is the kind of album that can be crushing, yet beautiful. Every song has it's moments of badass-ery. The song, Denying Gravity had the biggest influence on me and the way I look at Metal music today. Heavy yet beautiful. Also this album came out years before this type of seen got so overly used by bands that wanna be technical, yet wanna sound just like each other. And I say that as a fan of that genre of Progressive Metal, but anyone can admit, it's become too trendy and overused by now in 2012. Check out Drawing Circles to hear one of the finest heavy Progressive Metal albums done in the way it should be.

Favorite Song- Denying Gravity
Old 01-17-2012, 02:53 PM
Rats off to ya

Quote:
Originally Posted by MPF View Post
36.) Faith No More- Angel Dust

How do you follow up being a one mainstream hit wonder? By doing some Angel Dust! haha. Actually Epic is probably my least favorite FNM song for that reason. Angel Dust is by far their best album because of the variety and songwriting. It's perfection in every sense of the word. Yet every song is catchy and abstract at the same time. Not many people outside the likes of Zappa, Devin Townsend, and Mike Patton can pull that off. From death Metal like Jizzlobber to the cheerleader driven Be Aggressive, to my favorite under appreciated song, Kindergarten. This album is the equivalent to a Commercial Mindfuck, in the best way possible. If you only know Faith No More because of Epic, learn what Faith No More was really about, with Angel Dust.

Favorite Song; Kindergarten
But for the record, King For a Day > Angeldust
Old 01-17-2012, 03:03 PM
That Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by BloodoftheKings View Post
But for the record, King For a Day > Angeldust
Now a days, yes. But overall for me getting into music it is Angel Dust > King
Old 01-17-2012, 03:04 PM
That Guy

33.) Strapping Young Lad- Alien

The album that started my now 8 year infatuation with the greatest musician alive, Devin Townsend. Although I gotta admit, besides the song Love? sat first, I didn't get this album at all. It was too fucked up for my tastes as an early prog fan. I had just got into prog 2 years before this album. So this took me by total surprise. It took me a total month before I really truly appreciated the almighty Hevy Devy, but it I haven't stopped since. This album is nothing short of a fucked up Masterpiece. some of the greatest lyrics ever written mixed with some of the most brutal riffs ever written, with all of Dev quirky little phrasings and fun. with the exception of the last song Info Dump (an 11 minute song of feedback and synth sounds, which I will admit I deleted off my iTunes) I love every single song on this album. While I will always prefer Dev's solo work, SYL will always hold a special place in my heart. And I thank that entirely to Alien.

Favorite song: Shitstorm
Old 01-17-2012, 03:15 PM
That Guy

32.) Pain Of Salvation- Remedy Lane

The other album that made me into a crying, blubbering bitch. When I heard this concept album for the first time, it was a week after my first girlfriend cheated on me....and guess what this album is about? Actually almost everything that happened in this album has either happened to me in my situation, or one of my best friend's growing up and his relationship when we were growing up. But besides the lyrics and concept, the music on this album is Pain Of Salvation at their absolute best. Some say Be is better, or The Perfect Element, but Remedy Lane hit home with me more then anything else. Progressive Metal with a concept that anyone who has ever been in a relationship can fully understand and appreciate. If you need an album to grab you in a way you haven't felt before in Prog, this album is for you, but don't divulge into it if you are at the tail end of a broken relationship like I did, appreciate it when you are in a good state of mind.

Favorite song- Beyond The Pale
Old 01-17-2012, 03:28 PM
That Guy

31.) Periphery- Periphery

My other "Djent" album on this list. While Textures did it first and did it in the most perfect way. Periphery added something more to it that Textures didn't, more catchy to not just Prog fans. That's why Periphery is one of the biggest and I hate saying this...."Trendy" bands going right now. Many people have a problem with Periphery for that reason alone, because they are popular, which is just a shitty reason to not like a band. I liked these guys well before they became popular, and not because it was a hipster thing to do, its because I love the music and yes....the vocals as well. There is some high pitch poppy vocals on this album along with screams. It works for me in a big way. (The albums that I've mentioned already that don't fit in should explain that about me quite well.) And a lot of bands are going to keep ripping off this Djent sound until at least the beginning of 2013, I will only pay attention to the bands that actually showcase some originality to it, and since Periphery did it first, and even they are moving away from it to an extent. I will be looking forward to their next album coming out this year. Until then check this out for some very catchy, almost somewhat Poppy, Progressive Metal.

Favorite Song; Letter Experiment
Old 01-17-2012, 03:45 PM
That Guy

30. Frank Zappa- Hot Rats

Mr. Frank Zappa. In reality almost any Frank Zappa album could be at this spot. But I'm going with my first Zappa album that I fully understood, appreciated, and loved from beginning. Hot Rats. Hot Rats is a nearly all instrumental album (with exception of Captain Beefheart's vocals on Willie The Pimp) This showcases spectacular songwriting and musicianship from Zappa himself. He is nothing short of a musical legend that more people to check out and appreciate. He wrote a song in every style of music that was created before 1993 (besides Metal). And did it all with no care in the world if people got it or not. Hot Rats is no exception, just stellar music that is fun to listen to and mindblowing at the same time. To really understand what Prog is about....I mean REALLY understand the term PROGRESSIVE, you gotta understand Zappa to as far as a person actually can understand him. Hot Rats is a great place to start. (as well as Apostrophe)

Favorite Song: Son Of Mr. Green Genes
Old 01-17-2012, 06:14 PM
That Guy

29.) Death- The Sound Of Perseverance

What can I say about the legendary Chuck Schuldiner that the Metal world hasn't already said before me? Chuck is one of the most creative, influential, and greatest musicians the WORLD will ever know. Not just metal. This album is the last album Death ever put out, and Chuck didn't even want to make this album. He was getting much more into Prog then he was actual Death Metal and wanted to continue on with Control Denied, a band where he only guitar, not even sung at all. TO get out of his contract, he made The Sound Of Perseverance. I don't even think Chuck knew what he was about to unleash on the world with this album. While many say Symbolic was a better album, and I might even tend to agree at time. TSOP had much more of an impact me. The music, the lyrics, The killer cover of Painkiller, and the legendary drumming of Richard Christy. Christy is one of my biggest inspirations in music (And not his last time on this list). All you need to do is hear the intro to this album, Scavenger Of Human Sorrow to understand. That is still one of the craziest drum intros into any album! I miss Chuck so much but at least he gave us well over a decade of some of the best metal and music ever created. For any Prog/Tech Metal fan, Start with The Sound Of Perseverance...then go directly into Symbolic!

Favorite Song- Scavenger Of Human Sorrow
Old 01-17-2012, 06:20 PM
N00B

Great fucking list so far, love a lot of these albums.
10/3 Anathema/ Alcest
10/4 Mark Lanegan
11/1 Dax Riggs
11/8 LOG/KSE
12/12 High on Fire
2/22 DT/OG