Home Set Lists Forums The Permanent Record Asshole Opinion

Head Wound City -- Los Angeles, CA -- September 21st, 2014
After The Burial -- Flint, MI -- September 20th, 2014
Periphery -- Lansing, MI -- September 19th, 2014
Otherwise -- Sturtevant, WI -- September 19th, 2014
Eluveitie -- Baltimore, MD -- September 19th, 2014

Old 01-20-2012, 09:54 PM
The cameras are whores for the daily bloodshed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by treghet View Post
I find it odd that you can rank an album so high when it's only been out for a few weeks. I don't think the initial buzz has worn off yet, and by the end of the year it will have moved down the list quite a bit.
Not trying to be a dick, but treg is probably right.

Shit, I don't think I've ever seen an album give an entire forum an erection like this album has. Not dissing the album at all, but I'm suprised.

BUT, this has been an entertaining read. I agree that AIC should never be considered grunge.

11/03-Suffocation, Kataklysm (?)
11/25-Slayer (?)
Old 01-20-2012, 09:54 PM
That Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Gordo View Post
Why is grunge a slap in the face? It was just a blanket term to describe what was coming out of the American Northwest. PJ sounded nothing like Nirvana. Nirvana sounded nothing like AiC, etc. But while AiC was darker and probably more traditionally metal, Soundgarden just put out better albums in the early-to-mid-90's.

....and Tragically Hip - Day For Night was in your top 189?
For the first part, Grunge is one of the shittiest terms out there. just as much as Djent sucks. Were the bands mentioned above from Seattle? Yes, but Soundgarden isn't Grunge, and Alice In Chains is not grunge. I don't hate Nirvana like most people do, but I can only withstand one Nirvana song at a time before I need something else in my system.

And I dig Tragically Hip a lot actually.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Epidemic Reign View Post
Great list MPF!

I'm thinking about doing something like this. Hopefully someone reads it
Thanks man. I'll check yours out for sure. You checked mine out.
Old 01-20-2012, 09:58 PM
That Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by hellawaits77ny View Post
Not trying to be a dick, but treg is probably right.

Shit, I don't think I've ever seen an album give an entire forum an erection like this album has. Not dissing the album at all, but I'm suprised.

BUT, this has been an entertaining read. I agree that AIC should never be considered grunge.

I swear....I was an Alcest fan before I even joined this place. It's not because of everyone else getting a hard on over this album that I am. I won't be taken seriously until after the love of it form most hipsters and people here dies down, but I actually mean it. It combines the best of the past two albums and cuts out the stuff that dragged on in those albums. That's why i liked it. If it was a carbon copy of a previous album...I would have want with said original album. Also not trying to be a hipster when I say that. My list proves that completely.

*Also, no one is giving me shit for having Woods Of Ypres and that just came out this month as well.*

But I will say I am happy that I'm not the only one who doesn't consider AIC a Grunge band.
Old 01-20-2012, 10:02 PM
The cameras are whores for the daily bloodshed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MPF View Post
I swear....I was an Alcest fan before I even joined this place. It's not because of everyone else getting a hard on over this album that I am. I won't be taken seriously until after the love of it form most hipsters and people here dies down, but I actually mean it. It combines the best of the past two albums and cuts out the stuff that dragged on in those albums. That's why i liked it. If it was a carbon copy of a previous album...I would have want with said original album. Also not trying to be a hipster when I say that. My list proves that completely.

*Also, no one is giving me shit for having Woods Of Ypres and that just came out this month as well.*

But I will say I am happy that I'm not the only one who doesn't consider AIC a Grunge band.

You're definately not a hipster. Far from it. I just speak from personal experience. Many times I've absolutely loved an album the first few listens, and after a while, it didn't stand the test of time. I may have still loved the album, albeit not as much.

But it's certainly possible to continue truly loving an album, so who knows.

11/03-Suffocation, Kataklysm (?)
11/25-Slayer (?)
Old 01-20-2012, 10:55 PM
That Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by hellawaits77ny View Post
You're definately not a hipster. Far from it. I just speak from personal experience. Many times I've absolutely loved an album the first few listens, and after a while, it didn't stand the test of time. I may have still loved the album, albeit not as much.

But it's certainly possible to continue truly loving an album, so who knows.
I don't know, usually when I'm dead set on something it takes a lot for me to change my mind on it. If it happens I'll eat crow, no qualms about that. But I don't see it happening.
Old 01-21-2012, 08:27 AM
I know the songs you're singing saying nothing loud and clear I've heard that song a thousand times

Quote:
That is also my opinion on the album as well.
7/24 - NIN/Soundgarden
8/28 - Linkin Park
Old 01-21-2012, 11:47 AM
May you go marching in three-measure time, dressed up as asses and drunk to the nines...

Quote:
For the first part, Grunge is one of the shittiest terms out there. just as much as Djent sucks. Were the bands mentioned above from Seattle? Yes, but Soundgarden isn't Grunge, and Alice In Chains is not grunge. I don't hate Nirvana like most people do, but I can only withstand one Nirvana song at a time before I need something else in my system.

And I dig Tragically Hip a lot actually.
I guess so. I've never had a problem with the term, even thought the "Big Four" of grunge sound nothing like each other. Anyway, Soundgarden and AiC shit all over the other two bands in that "Big Four", and I would assume we can agree on that point at least!

That's cool you like the Hip, I'm impressed! They're such a Canadian institution, I don't get to talk much about them on the web. Any favourite albums, songs?
Old 01-21-2012, 04:31 PM
That Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by DementedX14 View Post
That is also my opinion on the album as well.

I was starting to think I was the only one who felt this way. Thankfully I'm not alone.

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Gordo View Post
I guess so. I've never had a problem with the term, even thought the "Big Four" of grunge sound nothing like each other. Anyway, Soundgarden and AiC shit all over the other two bands in that "Big Four", and I would assume we can agree on that point at least!

That's cool you like the Hip, I'm impressed! They're such a Canadian institution, I don't get to talk much about them on the web. Any favourite albums, songs?

Totally agreed about that!

Yeah, The Tragically Hip is one of those bands that people never expect me to really enjoy but I do. Up To Here is probably my favorite album. Its where I started so it has the sentimental value.
Old 01-21-2012, 04:56 PM
N00B

Avoid the Light and Images & Words are fucking great albums. Long Distance Calling are super underrated.
10/3 Anathema/ Alcest
10/4 Mark Lanegan
11/1 Dax Riggs
11/8 LOG/KSE
12/12 High on Fire
2/22 DT/OG
Old 01-21-2012, 05:03 PM
That Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocco44 View Post
Avoid the Light and Images & Words are fucking great albums. Long Distance Calling are super underrated.
SO very true, that's why I wish the Self Titled Album would have been better. Not to say it's a bad album, but it's not Avoid The Light by any stretch.