Judas Priest -- Vorst, Belgium -- March 16th, 1991
Black Label Society -- Memphis, TN -- July 27th, 2014
Megadeth -- Milwaukee, WI -- July 19th, 2013
Family Values Tour -- Denver, CO -- November 11th, 2001

Old 01-20-2012, 05:06 PM
That Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by jd091 View Post
Woah. Wooooooah, man. Not only are Ecailles and Souvenirs better than this album, BLACKWATER FUCKING PARK is better than this album.

Are you sure you're alright? Didn't hit your head on anything recently?
Most time times when you disagree with me I just picture this...

Quote:
South Park Hipster College Pothead: *Lights up and coughs* You just haven't been to college yet man. *Coughs*

But seriously....yes I'm fine. This is album that I've been waiting for Alcest to make since 2008 (Before most people discovered Alcest a year later). You haven't seen the Top 4 yet. so you might wanna wait to ask if I'm still feeling ok. I might just piss you off some more.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BloodoftheKings View Post
I fuckin love Meanderthal. I friend recommended it to me last year and I was blown away on my first listen. Cant wait for the new album.
Same here man. Discovered these guys in 2008 (around the same time as Alcest no less) and been blown away since. I can't wait for the COC tour and new album!
Old 01-20-2012, 05:08 PM
That Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhdeity View Post
I would agree but ironically enough only Dirt, Colors and Chaos AD would make my list so far. Some bands would be different albums like Metallica, Fear Factory and Clutch. I have to listen to Pure Rock Fury start to finish again. Currently it's definitely bottom 3 of the Clutch releases for me. I listen to the Impetus EP way more often...
That's what it's all about man. Musical discussion and different opinions. I'm glad you even liked 3 of the albums I posted. That's an accomplishment to me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GarageMetal468 View Post
if it were up to me I'd be arguing that Unquestionable Presence is better than all these albums!
Touche'
Old 01-20-2012, 05:09 PM
That Guy

4.) Long Distance Calling- Avoid The Light

Progressive Post Metal...this is the double dip cream dream of a lifetime album for me. If Dream Theater was more atmospheric. If Explosions In The Sky went Prog Metal and kept being not boring (sorry EITS fans). Long Distance made a HUGE breakthrough with Avoid The Light. It's all I've been looking for in an album and so much more. I would call this the best instrumental album ever made, with the exception that it's only 5/6th instrumental. Their best song is The Nearing Grave (The song of 2009 in my humble opinion) featuring Jonas of Katatonia on vocals. This song is so damn hauntingly beautiful. Jonas should join these guys full time (hell it might even help them get a tour in the USA at some point, we can only hope) Avoid the light is the album where you want to relax and be prog at the same time. Not so much in a Fates Warning way, but in a. Beautiful music doesn't always need to be in 4/4 way. GET ON THIS!!!

Favorite Song: The Nearing Grave
Old 01-20-2012, 05:18 PM
7 Holy Paths To Hell And Your Trip Begins...

Alice In Chains 'Dirt' is truly a masterpiece of the genre, beyond amazing album

Cheers !
PowerMaiden
Old 01-20-2012, 05:21 PM
That Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by PowerMaiden View Post
Alice In Chains 'Dirt' is truly a masterpiece of the genre, beyond amazing album

Cheers !
PowerMaiden
Old 01-20-2012, 05:21 PM
That Guy

3.) dredg- El Cielo

dredg is my favorite non-metal band of all time. Discovering them in 2006 changed my life at the time. Music can be not metal and awesome (something that at my age I had to relearn) Catch Without Arms was my first dredg album. El Cielo quickly followed. It's nothing short of a complete masterpiece. It is a concept album (often connected to Eternal Sunshine Of The Spotless Mind) about sleep paralysis (that moment when you are partially awake but partially asleep but can't move). This album goes through many different style changes and movements from Jazz to Hard Rock to the epic moment of the entire album, The Canyon Behind Her. dredg is one of the best bands going that is getting nowhere near the recognition they honestly truly deserve (they had to open for Circa Survive for Christ's sake). But if they forever stay an undeground cult band. That is totally cool with me, because only true fans of this style of music should be fans. The ones that honestly care about the band. Another controversial statement. dredg made a bad album (including Chuckles). But El Cielo is their best album to date. if you need a musical adventure through the best of Progressive ROCK, indulge yourself in this masterpiece.

Favorite Song: The Canyon Behind Her
Old 01-20-2012, 05:25 PM
Altars of Radness

I find it odd that you can rank an album so high when it's only been out for a few weeks. I don't think the initial buzz has worn off yet, and by the end of the year it will have moved down the list quite a bit.
Old 01-20-2012, 05:37 PM
N00B

Yeah man, I fucking love Dirt, I don't know if it's the best rock album, but pretty damn close.
Old 01-20-2012, 05:49 PM
That Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by treghet View Post
I find it odd that you can rank an album so high when it's only been out for a few weeks. I don't think the initial buzz has worn off yet, and by the end of the year it will have moved down the list quite a bit.
Didn't happen with their previous 2 albums yet. The lowest it's going is in the top 5. Devin Townsend's Epicloud, James LaBrie's new album, Woods Of Ypres and a couple other albums that I still have 11 months to hear will be in my top 5 of 2012.

Honestly, if I still love an album after 2 weeks. I fucking love that album. I don't get the time anymore to sit back and just listen to my favorite albums anymore. The radio show took that part away (although I still pick out about 95% of that music from my own tastes) but if I can keep coming back to an album like that. It means something to me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by masterguy49 View Post
Yeah man, I fucking love Dirt, I don't know if it's the best rock album, but pretty damn close.
To be fair, there is no best album. Everything is subjective. But I can't find anything better in my eyes.
Old 01-20-2012, 05:52 PM
That Guy

2.) Dream Theater- Images And Words

Like you read in the Blackwater Park review (if you did read it) My prog obsession began with DT's Train Of Thought and Opeth's Deliverance. The second I hear the beginning of As I am, I was hooked. A couple weeks later. My middle School/High school band made a band trip to NYC and one of the two buses we took broke down. So we made a stop in New Jersey to a local mall and I bought Images And Words because I heard it was their biggest album. This Album was my soundtrack to NYC. Honestly at first Another Day scared me because of the Saxophone (I think it scares any metal fan at first who hadn't heard of Shining before that point.) Of course I grew to love it just as every other song on the album. Nothing beats hearing Metropolis on a touring bus in the middle of Manhattan on a Friday night. Images And Words is very much ahead of it's time, although it does have the late 80's early 90's Production written all over it (especially the snare compression). None of that takes away from the beautiful song writing, crushing riffs, and just overall Prog Metal that I now know and love. Dream Theater since that trip to NYC has been and always will be my favorite band of all time. Nothing will ever take that away. Sure one other album is ahead of I&W and it's not Dream Theater. Regardless. I've been a Dream Theater fan longer and has had the biggest impact on my life to date as a whole band. I owe them everything I have in music. My drumming, my radio show, my compassion for all music, everything. And despite everything that has happened since the break up with Mike Portnoy. I still love both sides for different reasons. Mike is still my favorite drummer of all time, Dream Theater is my favorite band. I wish the best for both sides.

Favorite Track: Metropolis