Home Set Lists Forums The Permanent Record Asshole Opinion

Within Temptation -- Newcastle, England -- April 14, 2014
Carcass -- Silver Spring, MD -- April 13th, 2014
Destruction -- Montreal, Quebec -- April 14th, 2014
Ghoul -- Hollywood, CA -- April 13th, 2014
Satan -- Philadelphia, PA -- April 14th, 2014

  #121  
Old 01-20-2012, 04:24 PM
MPF's Avatar
MPF MPF is offline
That Guy
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Wisconsin
Posts: 8,072

6.) Opeth- Blackwater Park

The best Progressive Death metal band around. While that is another controversial statement. name another band that has added Progressive Metal with elements of Death Metal and have become and big and best as Opeth has? *Waiting several answers here after this post* Regardless. Opeth is the reason I got into Screams and Growls. I bought Opeth's Deliverance and Dream Theater's Train Of Thought the same day at Wal-Mart while I was in Junior High. DT lead me to the greatness that is Prog, and I instantly hated Opeth and regretted buying that album outside the song, A Fair Judgement. 6 months later I came back to Deliverance and gave it another chance, and fell in love. I bought Blackwater Park 2 weeks later and been a real Opeth fan ever since. When I was growing up I never could imagine I'd love a band with screams and Growls because I couldn't understand a word being said and thought it didn't match and all the other reasons that made me realize I was ignoring some of the best music out there, simply because of the vocals. To this day since I got into Deliverance I never stopped enjoying a band simply for the vocals. Opeth is to thank for me being able to become an overall music fan. Blackwater Park is their highest point in my regard to them. The music and the quality of the production provided by Mr. Steven Wilson. songs like Bleak, Harvest, and the title track made this a legendary Prog Metal album. Many will hate it because of the vocals, many will consider Opeth to be the only Metal band they like with screams and growls, and others, like me, for appreciate this for what it is. one of the finest Metal albums to date. The only way to understand is to listen for yourself.

Favorite Track: Bleak
__________________
That Drummer Guy Presents:
EVERY DAY from 4-6 am and pm on http://www.zeropointradio.com
Reply With Quote
  #122  
Old 01-20-2012, 04:28 PM
Epidemic Reign's Avatar
Epidemic Reign Epidemic Reign is offline
Hell Bent for Liquor
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Location, Location.
Posts: 2,968
Quote:
Originally Posted by MPF View Post
When I was growing up I never could imagine I'd love a band with screams and Growls because I couldn't understand a word being said and thought it didn't match and all the other reasons that made me realize I was ignoring some of the best music out there, simply because of the vocals.
I remember those days!
__________________
In the bleak life and modern times
Under grey skies and electric light
Mortal men are living gods
More real than any god ever was
Reply With Quote
  #123  
Old 01-20-2012, 04:36 PM
MPF's Avatar
MPF MPF is offline
That Guy
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Wisconsin
Posts: 8,072
Quote:
Originally Posted by Epidemic Reign View Post
I remember those days!
We were all young once.

Also what are the odds of Opeth starting off Page 13. How deliciously evil!
__________________
That Drummer Guy Presents:
EVERY DAY from 4-6 am and pm on http://www.zeropointradio.com
Reply With Quote
  #124  
Old 01-20-2012, 04:37 PM
MPF's Avatar
MPF MPF is offline
That Guy
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Wisconsin
Posts: 8,072

5.) Alcest- Les Voyages de l'Âme

Another album that seems way too premature to be this high up after such a short release? again...maybe. But in reality, not at all. This album is the best of the two best albums without the fluff. It's as beautiful as Souvenirs d'un autre monde, and as hard hitting as Écailles de Lune without any of the stuff that drags down either album (and I say that loving every Alcest album from start to finish). A lot of people will disagree with me because they didn't become Alcest fans until 2009 when Écailles de Lune came out, but I became a fan in 2008 so I can look at Écailles de Lune with an outside perspective unlike most new fans now do. Les Voyages de l'Âme is as beautiful as it is heavy. Post Rock and Shoegaze with the occasional Atmospheric Black Metal. Many new bands are taking this style and trying to make their own, and some are doing it great, others...are not. But Alcest is an original and always will be. Anything mastermind, Neige, does is perfection He's yet to let me down in anything he has released. Les Voyages de l'Âme is by far the best example of what Neige is capable of, and I recommend this to any real music fan. It's too good to pass up.

Favorite Track: Faiseurs de Mondes
__________________
That Drummer Guy Presents:
EVERY DAY from 4-6 am and pm on http://www.zeropointradio.com
Reply With Quote
  #125  
Old 01-20-2012, 04:57 PM
El Gordo's Avatar
El Gordo El Gordo is offline
May you go marching in three-measure time, dressed up as asses and drunk to the nines...
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Ontario, CANADA
Posts: 1,655
Quote:
Originally Posted by MPF View Post

Debate me all you want...this is the best Rock album ever made.
Challenge accepted!

I have no problem with Dirt, but it's not even the best album to come out of the "grunge" movement. That designation would be reserved for a little album entitled Superunknown. As far as best ROCK album ever made? I'm not sure, I'm a pretty big metal snob, but Clutch's Blast Tyrant is definitely my favourite rock album at this exact instant. Other rock albums I would hold in very high regard for various reasons would be The Cult's Sonic Temple, The Tragically Hip's Day For Night (I'm a patriotic music fan), GNR's Appetite For Destruction... ah fuck, forget it, I'm just being a dick. I could make a case for Minus the Bear's Planet of Ice for fuck's sake. That's the problem with this genre we call rock. It's been going on since before my parents could walk, I couldn't possibly explore it all and still be gainfully employed. That's probably a giant discussion thread in itself, what's the best rock album ever?

Anyway, nice list. Some damn fine albums here and quite a few I haven't checked out.
__________________
I love inside jokes, I'd love to be a part of one some day.
Reply With Quote
  #126  
Old 01-20-2012, 04:59 PM
jd091's Avatar
jd091 jd091 is offline
rolling critical success on casting a level 7 stagedive
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Chicago
Posts: 7,265
Quote:
Originally Posted by MPF View Post

5.) Alcest- Les Voyages de l'Âme

Another album that seems way too premature to be this high up after such a short release? again...maybe. But in reality, not at all. This album is the best of the two best albums without the fluff. It's as beautiful as Souvenirs d'un autre monde, and as hard hitting as Écailles de Lune without any of the stuff that drags down either album (and I say that loving every Alcest album from start to finish). A lot of people will disagree with me because they didn't become Alcest fans until 2009 when Écailles de Lune came out, but I became a fan in 2008 so I can look at Écailles de Lune with an outside perspective unlike most new fans now do. Les Voyages de l'Âme is as beautiful as it is heavy. Post Rock and Shoegaze with the occasional Atmospheric Black Metal. Many new bands are taking this style and trying to make their own, and some are doing it great, others...are not. But Alcest is an original and always will be. Anything mastermind, Neige, does is perfection He's yet to let me down in anything he has released. Les Voyages de l'Âme is by far the best example of what Neige is capable of, and I recommend this to any real music fan. It's too good to pass up.

Favorite Track: Faiseurs de Mondes
Woah. Wooooooah, man. Not only are Ecailles and Souvenirs better than this album, BLACKWATER FUCKING PARK is better than this album.

Are you sure you're alright? Didn't hit your head on anything recently?
Reply With Quote
  #127  
Old 01-20-2012, 04:59 PM
BloodoftheKings's Avatar
BloodoftheKings BloodoftheKings is offline
Rats off to ya
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Strong Island
Posts: 5,854
I fuckin love Meanderthal. I friend recommended it to me last year and I was blown away on my first listen. Cant wait for the new album.
Reply With Quote
  #128  
Old 01-20-2012, 05:02 PM
MPF's Avatar
MPF MPF is offline
That Guy
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Wisconsin
Posts: 8,072
Quote:
Originally Posted by El Gordo View Post
Challenge accepted!

I have no problem with Dirt, but it's not even the best album to come out of the "grunge" movement. That designation would be reserved for a little album entitled Superunknown. As far as best ROCK album ever made? I'm not sure, I'm a pretty big metal snob, but Clutch's Blast Tyrant is definitely my favourite rock album at this exact instant. Other rock albums I would hold in very high regard for various reasons would be The Cult's Sonic Temple, The Tragically Hip's Day For Night (I'm a patriotic music fan), GNR's Appetite For Destruction... ah fuck, forget it, I'm just being a dick. I could make a case for Minus the Bear's Planet of Ice for fuck's sake. That's the problem with this genre we call rock. It's been going on since before my parents could walk, I couldn't possibly explore it all and still be gainfully employed. That's probably a giant discussion thread in itself, what's the best rock album ever?

Anyway, nice list. Some damn fine albums here and quite a few I haven't checked out.
And that's why the debate it out there.

I'll never consider AIC to be Grunge. That's almost a slap in the face to what they were and still are even without Layne Staley.

Every album you posted as well are badass albums and were in my 189 original albums I had apart of this list, but Dirt is the bee's knees in my eyes.


I'm glad you're digging the list. I'm all about helping people get into new music and discover old classics. Hope you dig what you hear man!
__________________
That Drummer Guy Presents:
EVERY DAY from 4-6 am and pm on http://www.zeropointradio.com
Reply With Quote
  #129  
Old 01-20-2012, 05:03 PM
jhdeity's Avatar
jhdeity jhdeity is online now
Headbanger
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Pasadena, MD
Posts: 3,041
Quote:
Originally Posted by treghet View Post
I'm not sure that I'd agree, but it's definitely in the top tier.
I would agree but ironically enough only Dirt, Colors and Chaos AD would make my list so far. Some bands would be different albums like Metallica, Fear Factory and Clutch. I have to listen to Pure Rock Fury start to finish again. Currently it's definitely bottom 3 of the Clutch releases for me. I listen to the Impetus EP way more often...
__________________
5/2 - Sevendust
5/24 - Dark Angel @ MDF
6/17 - Meshuggah & BTBAM
6/29 - Primus
8/4 - Soundgarden & NIN
9/27 - Clutch & Janes Addiction
Reply With Quote
  #130  
Old 01-20-2012, 05:04 PM
GarageMetal468's Avatar
GarageMetal468 GarageMetal468 is offline
How you gonna rip it like this, son?!
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Illinois
Posts: 3,237
Quote:
Originally Posted by jd091 View Post
Woah. Wooooooah, man. Not only are Ecailles and Souvenirs better than this album, BLACKWATER FUCKING PARK is better than this album.

Are you sure you're alright? Didn't hit your head on anything recently?
if it were up to me I'd be arguing that Unquestionable Presence is better than all these albums!
__________________
https://www.facebook.com/nucleusmetal
http://nucleus.bandcamp.com/album/the-colony
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -8. The time now is 02:35 PM.


Blah Blah Blah Copyright WWW.METALSETLISTS.COM 2008