Raven -- West Hollywood, CA -- October 20th, 2014
Pallbearer -- Champaign, IL -- October 19th, 2014
Asia -- Las Vegas, NV -- October 17th, 2014

Go Back   WWW.METALSETLISTS.COM > Community Forums > General Chat

Old 01-15-2012, 06:30 AM
Face The Slayer

Quote:
Originally Posted by mankvill View Post
I don't like too much of that album, but it really is the perfect Slayer set-opener. Crushing!
Exactly how I feel! I feel bad that I never got to hear that live.

I guess I will do one of these for Slayer and AC/DC later.
Old 01-15-2012, 07:12 AM
May you go marching in three-measure time, dressed up as asses and drunk to the nines...

Even though I'd probably choose the first six Sabbath albums or the first four Metallica albums if I had to choose one band to listen to for the rest of my life, Overkill is undeniably my favourite band. Why? Well, back in the late 90's when I was growing out of my Metallica fanboyism because I realized it wasn't 1986 and the band were doing the equivalent of masturbating and recording it, I started looking for bands like Metallica that were still making worthwhile music. One day, in an issue of Guitar World, I read of some thrash bands I wasn't familiar with, namely Overkill, and I made some mental notes. Of course this was 1998 and not 2008 so there wasn't much of an internet to be able to sample bands with, so I frequented the local used record stores quite often. Not much later I found Overkill's Wrecking Your Neck and decided it was a must-buy. Even though I thought the singer was a little weird, the neck-snapping riffs and fantastic guitar solos immediately started to fill that void left by my realization that Metallica were no longer the band I wanted them to be. These days, Overkill is a band that I can come back to time after time, and they really only have two albums I'm not fond of. To me they embody the true spirit of heavy metal: unchanging, unrelenting, never say die attitude. The fact that my favourite band is one that refuses to change or evolve probably says a bit about me, but I don't care. Overkill kicks ass.
Old 01-15-2012, 09:22 AM
Traditionalist Asshole

I actually think Overkill has evolved over the years. They became more groove oriented after Horrorscope in the 90's before morphing back to their traditional sound with a thicker bottom end with Killbox 13.
Old 01-15-2012, 10:22 AM
Fragments of a sunbeam glaring on a kitchen knife

Black Sabbath, because of two words; Tony Iommi
Old 01-15-2012, 02:35 PM
May you go marching in three-measure time, dressed up as asses and drunk to the nines...

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRA View Post
I actually think Overkill has evolved over the years. They became more groove oriented after Horrorscope in the 90's before morphing back to their traditional sound with a thicker bottom end with Killbox 13.
Well yeah they've made some slight changes in sound over the years, but it all really comes back to the same thing. Honestly without much tweaking, almost any song on Ironbound wouldn't sound too out of place on Feel the Fire.
Old 02-27-2012, 11:26 AM
...So let the children come to me, their mother loves me so shall they...

My favorite band is Agalloch and I've been asked multiple times why but I never really could put it into words concisely.

I suppose in a broader sense it was because their music got me through a lot of the darker times in my life. Apart from that they draw a lot of inspirations from several of my favorite films(The Seventh Seal, Werckmeister Harmonies etc) The pantheistic theme of their work is also something that appeals to me a great deal.

I guess to sum it all up, its just this inexplicable connection I've felt with their music right from the time I started listening to them and they've been my favorite band since.