Tankcrimes Brainsqueeze 2 -- Oakland, CA -- April 18th, 2014
Unearth -- Pontiac, MI -- April 17th, 2014
Wayne Static -- Birmingham, AL -- April 17th, 2014
Ghost -- Toronto, Ontario -- April 17th, 2014
Rainbow Bar & Grill 42nd Anniversary -- West Hollywood, CA -- April 13th, 2014

Go Back   WWW.METALSETLISTS.COM > Community Forums > General Chat

Old 01-14-2012, 07:30 PM
Hell Bent for Liquor

Electric Six is my all-time favorite band. They've only been around for about a decade, but they've been putting a quality album out every year since 2003, so they've already got a seasoned catalogue under their belts.

All of their songs are super catchy and fun and they play with a very diverse collection of styles. The heart of the band is rock 'n' roll, but they also incorporate disco, funk, dance/electronic and other styles into their music.

The #1 reason they're my favorite band, however, is vocalist and primary songwriter Dick Valentine. He is, in my eyes, the epitome of a mad genius. His lyrics are brilliantly absurd, twisted, and never meant to be taken too seriously, but he delivers them like a suave, calculated fucking badass. He's like a psychotic rock jedi
More real than any god ever was
Old 01-14-2012, 07:39 PM
Rats off to ya

Quote:
Originally Posted by Epidemic Reign View Post
Electric Six is my all-time favorite band. They've only been around for about a decade, but they've been putting a quality album out every year since 2003, so they've already got a seasoned catalogue under their belts.

All of their songs are super catchy and fun and they play with a very diverse collection of styles. The heart of the band is rock 'n' roll, but they also incorporate disco, funk, dance/electronic and other styles into their music.

The #1 reason they're my favorite band, however, is vocalist and primary songwriter Dick Valentine. He is, in my eyes, the epitome of a mad genius. His lyrics are brilliantly absurd, twisted, and never meant to be taken too seriously, but he delivers them like a suave, calculated fucking badass. He's like a psychotic rock jedi
I should try to get into this band. I respect others who aren't afraid to admit so called "joke bands" are their favorite band.
Old 01-14-2012, 07:55 PM
7 Holy Paths To Hell And Your Trip Begins...

Quote:

sounds like a cool band !

Cheers !
PowerMaiden
Old 01-14-2012, 08:03 PM
SADISTIC, MAGICIAN

Quote:
Originally Posted by PowerMaiden View Post
God Hates Us All is a heck of an album

Cheers !
PowerMaiden
Darkness of Christ going into Disciple is probably my favorite concert opener apart from The Wicker Man

Electric Six could be one of the most underrated bands ever, always touring and playing music, yet totally off the radar for the majority of people!
Old 01-14-2012, 08:24 PM
Hell Bent for Liquor

Quote:
Originally Posted by BloodoftheKings View Post
I should try to get into this band. I respect others who aren't afraid to admit so called "joke bands" are their favorite band.
Haha thanks man. I've always found it kind of odd to call them my favorite band because all of my other favorites are metal bands and this dance/rock band sticks out like a sore thumb

But definitely, I would recommend them to you and absolutely anyone with a sense of humor! Their first album "Fire" is a good place to start and might even have a song or two you've heard before.

EDIT: Forgot to mention, since you're obviously a big fan of over-the-top horror films you might find this interesting... Their song "Gay Bar" was used for one of the special features on the Cabin Fever DVD (the "Pancakes" kid). It was one of the first times I ever heard them and played a huge part in convincing me to check them out.

Last edited by Epidemic Reign; 01-14-2012 at 08:49 PM.
Old 01-14-2012, 08:56 PM
Hell Bent for Liquor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dextrimental View Post
Electric Six could be one of the most underrated bands ever, always touring and playing music, yet totally off the radar for the majority of people!
Couldn't agree more. I'm sure they would have a much bigger following if more people were exposed to their music, but fortunately the fans they do have are dedicated enough to keep them going. Clearly the band loves what they do!
Old 01-14-2012, 08:57 PM
Rats off to ya

Quote:
But definitely, I would recommend them to you and absolutely anyone with a sense of humor! Their first album "Fire" is a good place to start and might even have a song or two you've heard before.

EDIT: Forgot to mention, since you're obviously a big fan of over-the-top horror films you might find this interesting... Their song "Gay Bar" was used for one of the special features on the Cabin Fever DVD (the "Pancakes" kid). It was one of the first times I ever heard them and played a huge part in convincing me to check them out.
Just listened to Fire before. Good shit. I've never seen the whole movie but I must have watched that Pancakes scene about 20 times.
Old 01-14-2012, 08:59 PM
Bring Me The Horizon > Opeth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dextrimental View Post
Darkness of Christ going into Disciple
I don't like too much of that album, but it really is the perfect Slayer set-opener. Crushing!
04/24 - Iron Reagan
05/13 - SLAYER
Old 01-14-2012, 09:30 PM
N00B

I have two favorite bands, but I'll do the other later.
Deftones:
I remember in early 2010, I would watch the RockItOutBlog! constantly on youtube and he was discussing Deftones' new single Rocket Skates. I decided to check it out and my first reaction was "What the fuck is this shit". The song was just so goddamn awkward to me, I didn't get it. I mean I liked the heaviness and all, but it was all weird. After that I forgot about them for a while. Then the title track for their album Diamond Eyes came out. I decided to give the song a chance and holy shit. The song was heavy, beautiful, and catchy. It was just so perfect to me. I downloaded the song on itunes and probably listened to it over about a thousand times. I fell so in love with that song, I re-listened to Rocket Skates and for some reason it clicked with me, I then loved that song as well. Then the album came out. I'm not joking when I said since it came out, I've listened to that album hundred of hundred of times. It is my favorite album of 2010 and one of my personal favorite albums. Every song is just perfect to me, catchy, heavy when it wants to be, beautiful, and Chino's voice is perfection to my ears. I then got all the rest of they albums. That summer I went to Paris so I spent a lot of time listening to them. I fell in love with all their albums over time(Though Saturday Night Wrist took a while to click), but then one day at my hotel I saw a listing for a Deftones show near me. I freaked out and ended getting the VIP for the show. I was incredibly excited. Over the summer I listened to each album, all amazing in my ears. Adrenaline had the aggression, anger, and full out rage that I needed, Around the Fur had the heavy, aggression but in a more calm, melodic way(if that makes sense). Too be honest, I may find Around the Fur the hardest to classify, but no less I fell in love with it. White Pony is just full on awesome and beautiful, no words needed. Their self-titled was melodic mixed with some of their heaviest work, while some songs are a little, I still love the album. Saturday Night Wrist was definitely their most interesting release and while it gets some hate, it definitely is still a good, melodic album. Plus Chino's voice sounds awesome throughout. Diamond Eyes was everything awesome about their other albums, combined to create the ultimate Deftones album.
Even then, they still didn't reach the level they had in my life until the concert in September of 2010. I arrived around 5 and since I had VIP they took me and other to the VIP area. We were given a poster and a tour laminate. I was so nervous, once the band came in I was in total star struck the whole time(This was my first time really meeting any band). I just was in shock but the whole band was so nice and could probably tell how nervous I was being(It's apparent in all my pictures too). After that we were granted early admission into the venue. I managed to get a rail in front of where soon Stephen would be. Baroness came on and they were fucking awesome. After I talked to people around me about the show. They were shocked to see a 14 year old love Deftones so much and come to their show on a school day. They all loved me and we talked for about an hour until Deftones came on. Then the lights shut off, Stephen came out RIGHT in front of me and took a picture of us in front of him. Then Chino ran up and they blasted into Diamond Eyes.
Oh my fucking god.
That show was perfect, I just can't even put it into words without writing pages and pages. They played all their well known songs and pulled out some awesome, underrated, less popular songs such as Dai The Flu, Nosebleed, and Lotion. All which were epic live. It literally changed everything for me and stapled them into my favorite bands. I can listen to them whenever and they will still bring back all kinds of emotions for me. The second time live was just as perfect and they played a whole bunch of songs they didnt play before, making it just as unique. They are my favorite band on record and live. It was phenomenal. Chino just makes it for me, his voice is just everything I love and I also love both his side bands Crosses and Team Sleep.
So yeah, I feel like I've said everything. I love Deftones.
Old 01-15-2012, 05:37 AM
SADISTIC, MAGICIAN

Quote:
Couldn't agree more. I'm sure they would have a much bigger following if more people were exposed to their music, but fortunately the fans they do have are dedicated enough to keep them going. Clearly the band loves what they do!
It can't have been easy for them, but from the looks of things they must be doing at least ok to keep up the schedule they have. I mean they play here every year or so, usually in one of the university venues here, so they must be on SOMEONES party soundtrack to warrant returning so much!