Nine Inch Nails -- Morrison, CO -- July 21st, 2014
Helmet -- West Hollywood, CA -- July 11th, 2014
Mastodon -- Nordfjordied, Norway -- July 18th, 2014
Queens of the Stone Age -- Philadelphia, PA -- July 20th, 2014
Queensryche -- Waukesha, WI -- July 19th, 2014

Go Back   WWW.METALSETLISTS.COM > Community Forums > General Chat

Old 01-14-2012, 05:52 PM
Traditionalist Asshole

Incidentally, I read a book in Borders called "The Rock Bible" and one of it's "commandements" if you will, is "If you only have one favorite band, you aren't in a fanbase, you are in a cult."

But they also said "Don't ever make conversation with the drummer."
Old 01-14-2012, 05:56 PM
Rats off to ya

Here are some of my favorite things.

-Metal
-Punk
-Over the top b-horror
-Fucked up humor

As far as I know Gwar is the only group that has all of these things.
Old 01-14-2012, 06:00 PM
You can't save me any more than you can save yourself, so stop fucking trying

My favorite band changed a lot in my younger days; Nirvana from 1991-1994, Nine Inch Nails from 1994-1995, Type O Negative from 1995-1997, anything Mike Patton from 1998 until 2005. But for probably the last ten years I've considered my favorite band to be:

Godspeed You! Black Emperor

I got into them around late 2000. First song I heard was Sunshine + Gasoline, not even an album track, sort of a demo/earlier version of another song called Moya. I've always been into emotional/depressive/trance-inducing music and no band does that better to me than GYBE. No band just gives me that feeling of awe and hopelessness and commands that I pay attention. I just have to stop and listen. I could just stare at a wall and listen to their music.

I also love their anonimity (sp?). I know there's a guy named Efrim who plays guitar, I know there was a Theirry and a Moya in the band at one point and I know they're from Montreal. That's about it. I've never seen a really clear picture or read too much of an interview. They've been able to keep up that image that so many black metal bands thrive for.

I listened to them a lot in the early 2000's and even still during their hiatus from 2002 until now. I never forgot them.

I wish that I could see them live someday because I've heard that they're an incredible live band but there are too many hipster-duffuses and scenesters in Toronto so I don't think I'd enjoy myself at one of their shows. I'll continue to listen to them in my own space.

Hopefully they'll release something new some day, but until then I'll enjoy the side-band Thee Silver Mt. Zion Memorial Orchestra (who I am going to see live later this month despite all the hipsters, but since I don't have quite the attachment to them I don't think they'll bother me too much).

It's interesting how I first got into them; I was searching Napster for 'Emperor' back in 2000 and they popped up, as did another band called 'Emperor Pengin'. I remembered reading about them in some 'zine a year earlier and decided to check out the aformentioned Sunshine + Gasoline. It was about 2am and I was half asleep. I think I listened to that song ten times in a row and was hooked. The next day I downloaded everything I could find and made some mixed CD-R's, which I listened too until they fried. Three years later, when I actually had money, I was able to purchase all their albums legit. I should have downloaded some Emperor Pengin, maybe they would be my second favorite band?
10/18 -- King Diamond
11/01 -- Suffocation

Last edited by adamclark52; 01-14-2012 at 08:20 PM.
Old 01-14-2012, 06:06 PM
In Search of Truth

I managed to avoid the site for about a week, and no, I'm not coming back... I said I planned to kinda just lurk for a while and maybe post once in a while, but I actually was taken aback by this topic. One of the reasons I've lost interest over the past year or two is because of the lack of discussion like this. Maybe this thread will turn into name-calling and bitch-fighting as well, but for now, I liked it enough to warrant a reply.

I honestly have been going through a bit of an identity crisis over the past year or so because I'm not 100% sure who my favorite band is anymore. If I had to give an answer, I'd probably still say Iron Maiden, but it's not how it used to be. These days I would say it's a pretty fair toss-up between Iron Maiden, Savatage, Evergrey, Dream Theater, and a few others. I feel the band I can make the best argument for is honestly Evergrey:

Evergrey were one of the first more underground bands I discovered, back when I was 14. I was thumbing through the metal CDs at my local FYE, when I came across a copy of Solitude Dominance Tragedy. I believe there was a sticker on it with a description that caught my eye, either that or the artwork... This was back in the day before I downloaded anything or previewing full songs online, so I actually scanned it in the listening station in FYE and listened through the 30-second previews, and I was absolutely blown away. It really sounded like nothing I had ever heard before. I quickly bought the disc, as well as the A Night to Remember double-live CD which had just been released. I spun them non-stop for a while before venturing more into their catalog. I had never heard a band combine such a heavy edge maintain such a melodic vibe, especially in the really melodic vocals. That's still a huge part of why I love the band. I think they combine a really outstanding use of heavy, down-tuned guitars and technical guitar playing with a really strong sense of melody and songwriting. The early albums have a bit of a dark, gothic vibe, and all of their stuff just has a very emotional, personal touch to it that I just can't get out of any other band. Their songs have meant so many things to me over the years and helped me through so much. Moreover, Tom S. Englund is one of my biggest musical heroes, as he truly does it all and is the leader of the band. I finally had the pleasure of seeing the band twice in 2011 and getting to not only meet but hang out with the band and Tom and can now say they are truly great guys, and friends too.

They're also the first (and so far, only) band I've cared about deeply enough to have tattooed on me:

Old 01-14-2012, 06:14 PM
Not popular in Buffalo

Forgot to mention this in my first post. Kudos powerslave for making this thread. I'm glad that someone made a interesting thread where people aren't yelling at each other and calling each other faggots every two seconds. Well done man.
9/28 Coheed

http://maitlandsmadness.blogspot.com/
Old 01-14-2012, 06:16 PM
7 Holy Paths To Hell And Your Trip Begins...

listening to Iron Maiden, or even better, being at one of their concerts, is in the top 3 things in life where I am the closest to pure happiness

Cheers !
PowerMaiden
Old 01-14-2012, 06:27 PM

and in all honesty I think it's chemical or something. They just fucking make me feel good all the time right from the get go when I first discovered them in 1983...

Cheers !
PowerMaiden
Old 01-14-2012, 06:36 PM
Like a chupacabra, but with dicks

Loving the replies so far. Keep 'em coming

I guess I should chip in. I wouldn't say they're my current favorite band, or that they ever will be again, but Maiden held that position longer than anyone else. As a 14 year-old, my metal background was pretty much just Metallica, Black Sabbath and Megadeth, so hearing Maiden for the first time was a rather profound change. Instead of chunky power chords, there were intricate, intertwining guitar leads. Instead of gruff shouting, the vocals were soaring and operatic. I've been a history nerd since I was a kid, so the fact that "Aces High" was the first song I heard was fortunate. I was thrilled to listen to this song about fighter planes and WWII. That, and the fact that all the songs were so insanely catchy. Every melody threatened to stick in your head for days. All those feelings did nothing but grow as I dove deeper into their catalog, and I was obsessed almost instantly (hearing Brave New World was what sent me over the edge). The sheer quantity of great music they put out is staggering, and it always brought new surprises. That, and the fact that they still put on the best live show around. Even if I don't listen to them as much as I did as a teenager, I still feel giddy every time a new album comes out or I see them live, and I don't think that will ever go away.

That brings me to my current favorite band, who've held that title for the last six years or so: Sleater-Kinney. Throughout my life, I never listened to a lot of women artists. It was limited to stuff my mom listened to, like Sheryl Crow and Bonnie Raitt, or the occasional pop-punk band. This band was a game-changer. They were angry, very loud, and simply did not give a fuck. Corin Tucker's voice is the biggest part of that: hearing her for the first time was like getting a hot needle jammed into my spine. In a good way. It's the kind of voice that says "sit down, shut up, and LISTEN." There truly isn't any other band that sounds like them. The guitars alternately careen off each other and weave together seamlessly, and Janet Weiss's thundering drums give each song authority and power. Their lyrics are brilliant and varied; they cover everything from love to desire to questioning the world around you. Strangely, I rarely feel an intense personal connection to their lyrics, but the songs feel so powerful and important that it reaches me on a different emotional level. Their indefinite hiatus in 2006, when I had been listening to them for barely a year, was devastating, especially since I hadn't seen them live. But all the side projects have whet my appetite, and it now seems that a reunion is right around the corner, which just makes it more exciting.
Old 01-14-2012, 06:37 PM
SADISTIC, MAGICIAN

I'm actually going to do one for Slayer as well, as they're dangerously close to PanterA for my favorite band. When I first heard Slayer, through Reign In Blood no less, I liked it, but it didn't click with me at the time, simply because I was still listening to a lot of modern stuff like Korn, Slipknot, Linkin Park, so the production and overall package felt dated to me. I was 15, what ya gonna do? That, however, all changed when I heard God Hates Us All. It had the same level of ferocity and anger, but with the modern production and aesthetic of the current stuff I was still very into. I was floored. I still remembering listening to that record the first time in my room, it was like hearing Vulgar Display Of Power for the first time all over again. It was like a god dam jackhammer. THEN I seen them live at the Unholy Alliance, and seen what their music does to people. No band does what Slayer do, as good as they do it, the way they do it.
Old 01-14-2012, 07:23 PM

God Hates Us All is a heck of an album

Cheers !
PowerMaiden