Electric Light Orchestra -- London, England -- September 14th, 2014
Skeletonwitch -- West Springfield, VA-- September 12th, 2014
KISS -- Lake Oswego, OR -- September 14th, 2014
Richie Kotzen -- London, England -- September 16th, 2014
King Crimson -- Boston, MA -- September 15th, 2014

Go Back   WWW.METALSETLISTS.COM > Community Forums > General Chat

Old 01-14-2012, 02:45 PM
Like a chupacabra, but with dicks

Question Why do you love your favorite band?

Pretty self-explanatory. I feel like this board is mostly name-calling and yelling these days, so I wanted to spark some real discussion about something more positive. How did you fall in love with your favorite band, and why?
Old 01-14-2012, 03:41 PM
SADISTIC, MAGICIAN

When it comes to music, I look for something that really speaks to me lyrically, but also gives me something musical to really latch onto, a hook. PanterA, when I first encountered them, apart from Walk, were exactly that. I was 15, just finished one of the biggest transitional periods of my life, was failing at school, and was hopeless when it came to girls. I was lost, and badly needed guidance, and that's exactly what they were. First album I owned by them was Vulgar Display Of Power, and I remember listening to it and thinking, this is the kind of music I have been looking for. The lyrics had a personal feel to them without being soppy and angst-ridden, the music was the right balance between technical and catchy, and the production had that perfect level between it sounding like the band jamming and having fun, and enough cleanliness that every note was perfectly audible. It's still my favorite album by them, I now have the tattoo, and I'm currently in the midst of what will probably turn out to be the second biggest transitional period of my life, and their music really does help me work through stuff. Every time I listen to that album, without fail, I come out of it more positive and ready to take on the world, which, to me at least, is exactly what anyone's favorite band should do for them.
Old 01-14-2012, 04:05 PM
Not popular in Buffalo

Mastodon became my favorite band intially because I had never heard better riffs in my life (I still haven't). I love a good riff and early Mastodon had them in droves. I will never forget the first time I heard "Iron Tusk". I have never been so impressed with a song in my life. Mastodon has continued to be my favorite band because they continually change their sound and remain consistently amazing. I can not think of any other band that has ever done that.

http://maitlandsmadness.blogspot.com/
Old 01-14-2012, 04:10 PM
Meanwhile, behind the facade of this innocent looking bookstore...

Because they're better than your favourite band.

25/9 Andrew O'Neill
8/10 Jex Thoth
13/10 The Skull
Old 01-14-2012, 04:29 PM
Like a chupacabra, but with dicks

Way to contribute.
Old 01-14-2012, 04:39 PM
N00B

Black Dahlia Murder? Because I think they're the exception to the rule of bands putting out albums that decrease in quality each time, every album is something different. It also helps to see guys that are so in love with what they do and that appreciate their fan base so much, makes it a lot easier for me to justify actually buying albums instead of illegally downloading. Plus, i've seen them live 8 times and they get better and better.
Old 01-14-2012, 04:48 PM
Meanwhile, behind the facade of this innocent looking bookstore...

Quote:
Originally Posted by powerslave_85 View Post
Way to contribute.
Way to miss the

25/9 Andrew O'Neill
8/10 Jex Thoth
13/10 The Skull
Old 01-14-2012, 05:14 PM
Play it loud, don't play it low

Don't really have a great answer for you other than my favorite bands just strike a chord with me that others don't.

My favorite metal bands don't really have all that much in common with each other, other than they play metal.

My favorite metal bands:

SLAYER
Iron Maiden
Fates Warning
Dio/Sabbath/Rainbow
Old Celtic Frost
The Crown
Pagan's Mind
Opeth
Voivod
Old 01-14-2012, 05:40 PM
Traditionalist Asshole

a fantastic question.

One problem, I don't quite have a favorite band.

Oh I have plenty of runner ups trying to squeeze in through the proverbial closingelevator door, but neither one can really budge through.

I can however, give you my criteria, which I think is what this thread is looking for.

They need to have a extraordinary characteristic of some kind, like Judas Priest always being able to come back hard after being knocked down, or Iron Maiden's seven album winning streak, or Lemmy's unflinching dedication to an idea, or Rakim's unchallenged ability to construct rhyme, or Dave Mustaine's unchallenged ability to shred. Or Jimi Hendrix, [David Lee Roth era) Van Halen or AC/DC's ability to reach mass audiences while pissing off nobody (and that includes the people who hate bands because of their massive popularity, like the Beatles or the Stones).

They also have to be able to not taint their legacy too hard, I'll gladly come out swinging at criticisms that have no basis in fact, but there are certainly crimes committed that no matter which way you look at them, negatively effects the proverbial package.

Example: you just can't divorce the fact that Ozzy's solo career his more than a passing resemblence to a Britney Spears, in that he's largely a personality-over-artist unit moving package that doesn't even write his own music (vocal melodies withstanding) and his voice isn't even that great in the traditional sense. There's nothing necessarily crucifying about that, but then The Osbournes happened.

Last edited by JRA; 01-14-2012 at 05:49 PM.
Old 01-14-2012, 05:42 PM
Pop Punk > Slipknot and Y&T

Anaal Nathrakh

They were a blast of just pure hatred and chaos in a time of my life when I needed it most, and my love for them just grew from there. Pandemonic Hyperblast was one of the most evil and chaotic things I've ever heard, and it probably still is. From there, it was just exciting because every new song I heard from them was just as brutal, but each one sounded extremely unique to me. I love them today because I don't think any band out there can match them at all. Love <3
09/19 - BMTH
09/20 - Fuzz and Fire 2