Home Set Lists Forums The Permanent Record Asshole Opinion

Death Angel -- San Francisco, CA -- December 27th, 2014
Protest the Hero -- Toronto, Ontario -- December 27th, 2014
Marduk -- Norrköping, Sweden -- December 19th-20th, 2014
Despised Icon -- Worcester, MA -- December 21st, 2014
Cormorant -- San Francisco, CA -- December 20th, 2014

Old 10-08-2012, 11:42 AM
Metal is proof that Satan loves us and wants us to be happy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mastodon421 View Post
Woah, woah, woah Nat did you seriously just compare Chronicle to Cloverfield? The only similarity is the style they were shot in.
...which is essentially the primary thing that's supposed to make either of the movies interesting, so...yes.

...and apologies to Brad - I know what double negatives are, I just didn't notice that you'd done it. Maybe dial down the fancy word play a little for those of us who don't speak "pretentious blogster" on a daily basis.
Old 10-08-2012, 11:54 AM
Not popular in Buffalo

So does that make Paranormal Activity and the slew of other found-footage movies the same as Chronicle too? I'm not saying that your opinion of the movie is wrong (I happen to disagree, I thought it was great), but just because they are shot the same way does not mean they are the same movie. I also disagree that's the lone reason Chronicle had an appeal to audiences. The appeal to me least was the way it approached the superhero concept. It put an original spin on the traditional superhero concept and I felt like it developed the characters nicely and I really like the drastic tonal shift it had in the second half. Judging on the reviews and overall audience reception, I would say I'm far from being alone on that one. Agree, disagree, That's just my 2 cents.

http://maitlandsmadness.blogspot.com/
Old 10-08-2012, 12:11 PM
Metal is proof that Satan loves us and wants us to be happy.

The PA movies, which I liked even less than Chronicle or Cloverfield, were different because they were trying to use the same filming style to touch on a slightly different nerve - that being the scare impulse.

I just thought Cloverfield and Chronicle were basically trying to stimulate the exact same nerve endings in my brain, only Chronicle did so via a superhero vehicle instead of a giant alien. Just to be clear here, I liked Cloverfield and Chronicle to a very limited degree, but neither of them were worthy of the immense praise that I've seen some people (mainly teenage fanboys) lavish on them, and if you want my opinion, I think Chronicle was more or less a "me too" re-telling of the Cloverfield story, but through a slightly different lens.

Also for the record, I did enjoy how they treated the superhero thing in Chronicle differently from many other superhero movies, but c'mon - it's not like it was unique. Ever seen "Unbreakable"? Ever watched "Heroes"?

Plus, the so-called "tonal shift" in the movie was, to me, little more than an attempt at finishing strong with the teenage crowd through some good old-fashioned action to make up for the fact that they dropped the ball on character development. I was interested in the characters for a while, but when it became an all-out slugfest at the end I was somewhat disappointed. The filmmakers could have done better than that, which to me comes off as being a bit lazy.

But, glad you liked it. To each his own.
Old 10-08-2012, 01:06 PM
Not popular in Buffalo

Fair enough.I have seen Unbreakable and it's a decent movie. I tried to watch Heroes, but I couldn't get into for the life of me. I do agree with you on the quality of Cloverfield though. It's not awful, but it was way overhyped and I ended up being really disappointed with it (especially since J.J Abrams was involved with it).

http://maitlandsmadness.blogspot.com/
Old 10-09-2012, 12:03 PM
Some People Call Me The White Devil

Taken 2.

good but not great. The daughter becoming good at doing all these action things randomly killed it for me.

I just wanted to see Liam Neeson kill people with his hands.
Old 10-10-2012, 06:04 PM
Hagbard Celine, H.M., S.H.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tarzan_%282013_film%29

Tarzan will be played by one of the vampires from Twilight.

EDIT: I just read the part about it being animated.

*sigh of relief*

Last edited by illuminatus917; 10-10-2012 at 06:13 PM.
Old 10-15-2012, 07:48 AM
not the mama

Sinister was pretty damn good for a mainstream horror film. I think it actually deserves the hype, unlike Insidious and Paranormal Activity. Creepy atmosphere throughout, the found footage killings could be quite disturbing too many, Ethan Hawke was great at handling both serious and comedic tones, the cop was also good and the scenes involving him and Hawke are pretty entertaining, the story was good and well panned out, the ending didn't suck, not a lot of unnecessary jump scares, when the movie had a somewhat comedic tone it didn't feel forced, mention of Norwegian Black Metal etc.

Not the best movie I have seen all year but overall, I approve.

I wanna see Seven Psychopaths, really looks like something up my alley.
Old 10-15-2012, 08:04 AM
SADISTIC, MAGICIAN

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShatteredFlame View Post
Sinister was pretty damn good for a mainstream horror film. I think it actually deserves the hype, unlike Insidious and Paranormal Activity. Creepy atmosphere throughout, the found footage killings could be quite disturbing too many, Ethan Hawke was great at handling both serious and comedic tones, the cop was also good and the scenes involving him and Hawke are pretty entertaining, the story was good and well panned out, the ending didn't suck, not a lot of unnecessary jump scares, when the movie had a somewhat comedic tone it didn't feel forced, mention of Norwegian Black Metal etc.

Not the best movie I have seen all year but overall, I approve.

I wanna see Seven Psychopaths, really looks like something up my alley.
Agreed on all counts, very solid in my opinion. That said, it's not strictly a horror film, and I think it would have greatly benefited from a less horror-orientated marketing campaign. Overall though, it was very solid, and I think as a stand alone title it works, but there's a bit of wiggle room for a franchise, perhaps with the cop character in the sequel.

Looper is my second favorite film of the year, absolutely awesome.
Old 10-15-2012, 10:26 AM
Rats off to ya

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShatteredFlame View Post
I think i'll check this movie out. I didn't like Insidious at all so I wasn't going to bother with this one.
Old 10-15-2012, 03:40 PM
Some People Call Me The White Devil

I just watched Rock Of Ages and I really liked it. I mean I REALLY liked it and I normally FUCKING HATE musicals. Something is wrong with me.