Home Set Lists Forums The Permanent Record Asshole Opinion

Dropdead -- Scottsdale, AZ -- August 30, 2014
Chevelle -- Wallingford, CT -- August 30th, 2014
Morbid Saint -- Riverview, MI -- August 30th, 2014
Third Eye Blind -- Royal Oak, MI -- August 30th, 2014
Sleep -- Pioneertown, CA -- August 30th, 2014

Old 10-03-2012, 03:10 PM
I'm reaching out for something else.

Cabin in the Woods was good but just cuz it's different doesnt make it great. then again I aint a horror fan maybe I wouldve dug it more if I were.
Tough Mudder-10/26
Old 10-03-2012, 03:13 PM
SADISTIC, MAGICIAN

Quote:
Originally Posted by XDoomsayerX View Post
Cabin in the Woods was good but just cuz it's different doesnt make it great. then again I aint a horror fan maybe I wouldve dug it more if I were.
It's a horror geek's sort of movie, I'll say that much alright.

Saw Looper recently, awesome. Going to see LAwles over the weekend and Paranorman next week!
Old 10-03-2012, 07:16 PM
N00B

Quote:
Originally Posted by Natrlhi View Post
Yeah, exactly. There wasn't enough emotion maintained to make me feel like anything awesome was about to happen, and in fact, it really never did. I mean, like I said, what with all the strangeness of this weird dystopian world that they were living in, I'm sure a nice descriptive book would be very compelling, but it just seemed that with the movie they weren't really even trying very much to hold my interest. Consequently, very few fucks were given by me.

That, and I could tell the whole time that this is just going to be another slightly more adult version of the Twilight saga, only with humans fighting humans instead of vampires fighting werewolves. I think I might pass on the remaining installment(s).
Sorry dude, the book is probably worse. I can't say so since I never read one in it's entirety, but I read the first few chapters and I couldn't do it, the description is so bland and the book is written like a 15 year old wrote it(which is the point, but still, god damn). She's just a bad writer IMO.

Also, as for Cabin in the Woods, it's basically a love letter to horror geeks. I for one, love Horror, so Cabin in the Woods was just beautiful to me.

In the past week I've seen Dredd and End of Watch, both were great. Dredd was just a badass action movie with great one-liners that I've been waiting to see in the theaters for awhile, loved it. End of Watch was great and really got me emotionally, which was a shock. Still need to see The Master and Looper!

Honestly though, Chronicle is still possibly my favorite movie of the year
Old 10-04-2012, 09:31 AM
Some People Call Me The White Devil

I HATED Chronicle. Just my thoughts.

Went and saw Dredd 3D last night. Great use of 3D and overall just a really great campy action movie.
Old 10-08-2012, 09:36 AM
Not popular in Buffalo

I saw End of Watch and Taken 2 this weekend. End of Watch was outstanding and is definitely one of the best movies of the year imo. The acting is fantastic (If I didn't know Jake Gylenhaal and Michael Pena were actors, I would've though they were real cops) and the relationship between Gylenhaal and Pena's character drives the movie. It also packs a surprising amount of emotional power which adds to the authenticity this movie gives off. Can't recommend this enough, Amazing movie.

Taken 2, on the other hand, fucking sucked. It takes everything that made the original great and just does away with it. The action scenes are horrible (You honestly can't even what it's happening 90% of the time. When you can hear the action, but not see it, you have a problem) and there are so many facepalm worthy moments that I lost track. It's not even rehash because a rehash would've at least still been enjoyable. One of the dumbest and just plain bad action movies I've ever seen. Dead serious it's only marginally better than Ghost Rider: Spirit of Vengeance.

http://maitlandsmadness.blogspot.com/
Old 10-08-2012, 09:43 AM
We're dying on the inside

Let me get this straight. This thread's last ten pages aren't nothing but talk about "The Master." Maybe I should have stayed away after all.
Old 10-08-2012, 10:14 AM
Metal is proof that Satan loves us and wants us to be happy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by powerslave_85 View Post
The Master was outstanding. At the risk of sounding like a quote on a movie poster, Joaquin Phoenix's performance is mesmerizing.
Quote:
Originally Posted by DethMaiden View Post
Let me get this straight. This thread's last ten pages aren't nothing but talk about "The Master." Maybe I should have stayed away after all.
The quote above yours is the only real "discussion" of The Master in this entire thread. What the fuck were you reading?

Anyway, yesterday I did end up seeing the movie that has apparently caused Brad some serious butthurt in some way.

I liked it. I agree that both Phoenix and Hoffman deserve praise for their performances - no doubt about that. I also thought Amy Adams was great, but of course her role was much smaller. The writing was very good as well, but the primary issue I had with the film was that I couldn't quite decide what it was that the filmmakers were trying to tell me here. The story was compelling for sure, because I was anxiously waiting the whole time for some sort of resolution, but in the end all I seemed to have gotten out of it was that Hoffman was frustrated by the fact that he had finally found someone that he couldn't control with his mind games - although, to be sure, he had definitely had an effect on Phoenix's behavior to some degree, as evidenced by his mid-coitus attempt to "process" the stranger he'd just met.

tl;dr: Excellent acting, but what the fuck just happened, and why am I supposed to care?

EDIT: Oh, and "Chronicle" was just as boring the first time when it was called "Cloverfield".

Last edited by Natrlhi; 10-08-2012 at 10:17 AM.
Old 10-08-2012, 10:15 AM
Not popular in Buffalo

Quote:
Originally Posted by DethMaiden View Post
Nah no one else has seen it, You were the only snob around these parts

Old 10-08-2012, 10:25 AM
We're dying on the inside

Quote:
Originally Posted by Natrlhi View Post
The quote above yours is the only real "discussion" of The Master in this entire thread. What the fuck were you reading?

Anyway, yesterday I did end up seeing the movie that has apparently caused Brad some serious butthurt in some way.

I liked it. I agree that both Phoenix and Hoffman deserve praise for their performances - no doubt about that. I also thought Amy Adams was great, but of course her role was much smaller. The writing was very good as well, but the primary issue I had with the film was that I couldn't quite decide what it was that the filmmakers were trying to tell me here. The story was compelling for sure, because I was anxiously waiting the whole time for some sort of resolution, but in the end all I seemed to have gotten out of it was that Hoffman was frustrated by the fact that he had finally found someone that he couldn't control with his mind games - although, to be sure, he had definitely had an effect on Phoenix's behavior to some degree, as evidenced by his mid-coitus attempt to "process" the stranger he'd just met.

tl;dr: Excellent acting, but what the fuck just happened, and why am I supposed to care?
I used a confusing double negative. What I meant was, WHERE IS ALL THE TALK ABOUT THE MASTER THAT SHOULD CLEARLY BE HERE.

Anyway, movie of the year, no question about it, come at me bros.
Old 10-08-2012, 10:38 AM
Not popular in Buffalo

Woah, woah, woah Nat did you seriously just compare Chronicle to Cloverfield? The only similarity is the style they were shot in.