The Quireboys -- West Hollywood, CA -- August 6th, 2014
High on Fire -- Los Angeles, CA -- August 19th, 2014
Nothing More -- Baltimore, MD -- August 18th, 2014

Old 09-28-2012, 02:50 PM
Some People Call Me The White Devil

Quote:
Originally Posted by Natrlhi View Post
I've heard that was pretty tits.

In other news, I watched "The Hunger Games" last night. I was...pretty underwhelmed if I'm to be honest. I thought it was fairly predictable and somewhat boring. It wasn't awful, but I just wasn't impressed. I got the distinct impression that the books might be better than the film, but since I haven't read the books I would have no idea about that.
I went and saw Hunger Games in theaters since my brother is insane about that shit, I walked out thinking not only was it average but it dragged on for too long. Too many boring spots.
Old 09-28-2012, 07:07 PM
Metal is proof that Satan loves us and wants us to be happy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcmetal108 View Post
I went and saw Hunger Games in theaters since my brother is insane about that shit, I walked out thinking not only was it average but it dragged on for too long. Too many boring spots.
Yeah, exactly. There wasn't enough emotion maintained to make me feel like anything awesome was about to happen, and in fact, it really never did. I mean, like I said, what with all the strangeness of this weird dystopian world that they were living in, I'm sure a nice descriptive book would be very compelling, but it just seemed that with the movie they weren't really even trying very much to hold my interest. Consequently, very few fucks were given by me.

That, and I could tell the whole time that this is just going to be another slightly more adult version of the Twilight saga, only with humans fighting humans instead of vampires fighting werewolves. I think I might pass on the remaining installment(s).

Last edited by Natrlhi; 09-28-2012 at 07:09 PM.
Old 10-01-2012, 06:06 PM
and you can never quarantine the past

Looper was amazing. JGL <3
Old 10-02-2012, 12:01 AM
THIS IS LHHC!

Quote:
Originally Posted by larvtard View Post
Looper was amazing. JGL <3
I NEED to see that.
9/6 Weekend Nachos
9/12 Sete Star Sept
9/19 Despise You
9/20 Revocation
Old 10-02-2012, 09:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dextrimental View Post
...Cabin In The Woods is phenomenal, haven't enjoyed a film like that in a LOOOOOONG time. Top class entertainment! Will need to re-watch before I'm certain, but it could be my new favorite film. It's definitely top 3.
Quote:
Originally Posted by kalfitegrdan View Post
Oh my god, I fucking can't get over how much I loved this movie.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dextrimental View Post
Seen Cabin In The Woods again tonight, I went with some friends who hadn't seen it, and it is still as as the first time, having a crisis of faith with it and my favorite film, Dawn of the Dead, the original.
Quote:
Of the movies I've seen so far:

1. Cabin in the Woods
2. The Avengers
3. Chronicle
4. 21 Jump Street
5. Jeff, Who Lives at Home
6. The Grey
7. Safe House
8. This Means War
9. Underworld: Awakening
10. Haywire
11. A Thousand Words
12. Ghost Rider: Spirit of Vengeance
13. Contraband (The worst by a very large margin)
Guys. Seriously? I watched it with my wife last night, and she hated it. I didn't quite hate it - I appreciate what Whedon and company were trying to do here - but in the end I was rather unimpressed. For example, I couldn't have given a fuck less about the characters - and without that, it's hard to give a fuck about the plot or the movie itself, I think. You don't have to like them, but you have to want them to either survive or get shredded, right? I couldn't have cared less, though.

I mean, sure, it was a rather interesting twist and all that, and it was somewhat cool how they made it funny and creepy at the same time, but...I don't know. I just felt like it was all just a cheap attempt at manipulating me into being impressed because nothing like that had ever been done before...but my question is, "so what?"

I guess 91% of critics would disagree with me here, according to Rotten Tomatoes, but I just don't see what all the fuss is about, other than the fact that the movie took a tired old genre and shook it up a bit. Whedon gets points for that, in my book, but that doesn't make this a can't-live-without-it-in-my-DVD-catalog type of film. Speaking of which, it also occurs to me that this film has zero repeat viewing appeal, because once the cat is out of the bag, what's the point in watching it again?

To each his / her own, I guess. :shrug:
Old 10-02-2012, 09:51 AM
not the mama

Yea i was pretty disappointed with The Cabin In The Woods also. I loved the last 30 minutes when it basically became an R-rated version of Monsters Inc. but I just didn't think the rest of the movie was that entertaining.

Behind The Mask: The Rise of Leslie Vernon is a highly superior horror satire in my opinion. It honestly blows my mind how not many people know about that film. It should've gotten the recognition Scream got when it was released.
Old 10-02-2012, 11:08 AM
Not popular in Buffalo

I didn't quite enjoy Cabin in the Woods as much as some people on here, but I still thought it was pretty great. It was original, hilarious, and worked really well as a deconstruction of horror movies.

http://maitlandsmadness.blogspot.com/
Old 10-03-2012, 04:06 AM
THIS IS LHHC!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Natrlhi View Post
Guys. Seriously? I watched it with my wife last night, and she hated it. I didn't quite hate it - I appreciate what Whedon and company were trying to do here - but in the end I was rather unimpressed. For example, I couldn't have given a fuck less about the characters - and without that, it's hard to give a fuck about the plot or the movie itself, I think. You don't have to like them, but you have to want them to either survive or get shredded, right? I couldn't have cared less, though.

I mean, sure, it was a rather interesting twist and all that, and it was somewhat cool how they made it funny and creepy at the same time, but...I don't know. I just felt like it was all just a cheap attempt at manipulating me into being impressed because nothing like that had ever been done before...but my question is, "so what?"

I guess 91% of critics would disagree with me here, according to Rotten Tomatoes, but I just don't see what all the fuss is about, other than the fact that the movie took a tired old genre and shook it up a bit. Whedon gets points for that, in my book, but that doesn't make this a can't-live-without-it-in-my-DVD-catalog type of film. Speaking of which, it also occurs to me that this film has zero repeat viewing appeal, because once the cat is out of the bag, what's the point in watching it again?

To each his / her own, I guess. :shrug:
Dead Serious.

I cared about the characters in the movie for better or worse. I wanted the main chick to live because she's very hot. and the stoner to live because he's one of my favorite actors, although that obviously doesn't apply to everyone. Also, I wanted the black guy to die because he was basically just a cardboard cutout and wasn't interesting. Thor and blondie were somewhere in the middle likability wise for me.

I love the satire of traditional horror movies displayed throughout. I like when a movie can not take itself too seriously while still being firmly planted in its respective genre.

I saw the movie twice in theaters and was completely enthralled both times and considered going to see it third time, but couldn't find the time. To me at least, the movie is just entertaining all the way through. I can't think of a bad scene that was awkward or anything less than entertaining. Also, the main selling point to make it so great, in my opinion, was the ending, like the very end. Maybe I'm just a really nihilistic, misanthropic person (also probably why I held God Bless America in such high esteem), but I love, love, LOVE that ending and have wished for countless movies before it to end like that. It also helped that I hold a lot of the actors in high repute (Fran Kranz, Amy Acker, Richard Jenkins, Chris Hemsworth).
9/6 Weekend Nachos
9/12 Sete Star Sept
9/19 Despise You
9/20 Revocation

Last edited by kalfitegrdan; 10-03-2012 at 04:09 AM.
Old 10-03-2012, 08:02 AM
not the mama

Horror fans be sure to watch Smiley (you know the movie that you see the trailer for when watching anything horror related on Youtube). It had some very stupid parts in the beginning, it mentions shit like 4chan, pedobears, wikileaks, internet trolls etc. but honestly by the middle and towards the end I thought it was a pretty entertaining film.
Old 10-03-2012, 08:50 AM

Quote:
Also, the main selling point to make it so great, in my opinion, was the ending, like the very end. Maybe I'm just a really nihilistic, misanthropic person (also probably why I held God Bless America in such high esteem), but I love, love, LOVE that ending and have wished for countless movies before it to end like that. It also helped that I hold a lot of the actors in high repute (Fran Kranz, Amy Acker, Richard Jenkins, Chris Hemsworth).
I did like the ending, and Richard Jenkins is the fucking man.