Devourment -- Rochester, NY -- July 21st, 2014
Nine Inch Nails -- Morrison, CO -- July 21st, 2014

Old 01-20-2012, 05:20 AM
Altars of Radness

Artist: Horna
Title: Adventus Satanae
Genre: Black Metal
Label: World Terror Committee

Horna has been one of the longest running Finnish black metal bands, but they have also had the most lineup changes. To date the only original member is guitarist Shatraug and they are now on their third vocalist. Despite this, the band has never put out a bad album. In fact, their most recent, the eighty-five minute beast, Sanojesi Äärelle, is among their strongest. However, since that record vocalist Corvus has left the band. Spellgoth was admitted as the band’s new vocalist and Adventus Satanae is his second appearance, the first being a split in 2009 with Nefarious. Some have questioned if he is a suitable replacement, but he handles the job with ease, spewing demented screams that even come close to rivaling those of Corvus himself. The new EP continues the style of the last album with the sadistic riffs and an impeccable atmosphere. They uphold the tradition of writing the lyrics in Finnish, making it all the more unique. There’s nobody who does black metal quite like Horna, and with lineup changes aside, they continue to release wretched black metal.

“Adventus Satanae” - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qittihe0bkM
Old 01-20-2012, 05:28 AM
Altars of Radness

Artist: New Lows
Title: Harvest of the Carcass
Genre: Hardcore
Label: Deathwish Inc.

Boston’s hardcore scene has more or less been the focus of the youth crew movement, but there are a few bands who do not adhere to the militant straight edge preaching and music standards. New Lows is on the opposite spectrum of hardcore, inspired by bands like Ringworm and Bolt Thrower instead of DYS and SS Decontrol. With their first full length they manage to consolidate all of their influences into their own unique sound, making them by far the heaviest band in their local scene. They don’t sound too much like Bolt Thrower’s In Battle There Is No Law or Ringworm’s debut, but you can definitely hear characteristics of the aforementioned records. Their sound centers around the conventional hardcore rhythms while utilizing sections of double bass and a gritty guitar tone akin to early Bolt Thrower. With pulverizing riffs one after another Harvest of the Carcass does not let up for a second. If you’re into old school death metal and looking to try out some hardcore, this is the band for you.

“Born and Razed” - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZL-Maz8iPI4
Old 01-20-2012, 10:06 AM
rolling critical success on casting a level 7 stagedive

I can't get too into that record personally, but New Lows were really freakin' good live.
Old 01-20-2012, 06:36 PM
Altars of Radness

Quote:
Originally Posted by jd091 View Post
I can't get too into that record personally, but New Lows were really freakin' good live.
It's just too awesome for you to handle.

Top 10 will start later tonight.
Old 01-27-2012, 08:28 PM
Altars of Radness

I have not abandoned this. I will continue posting later on tonight.
Old 01-27-2012, 11:05 PM
rolling critical success on casting a level 7 stagedive

Quote:
Originally Posted by treghet View Post
I have not abandoned this. I will continue posting later on tonight.
I was about to say... I really want to see the rest!
Old 01-28-2012, 12:46 AM
The cameras are whores for the daily bloodshed.

Keep it comin'

07/28-Cannibal Corpse (?)
08/09-Heavy MTL (?)
08/10-Heavy MTL (?)
11/03-Suffocation, Kataklysm
Old 01-28-2012, 02:28 AM
Altars of Radness

Artist: Vektor
Title: Outer Isolation
Genre: Progressive Thrash Metal
Label: Heavy Artillery Records

Two years after their masterpiece debut album, Black Future, Vektor would return to the studio to record their second cosmic concoction. The question was, could they really top Black Future? It seemed like an ambitious move to record another album so soon. Two years may seem like a relatively normal time span between albums, but for a band that released an hour long beast full of technical prowess it seemed to happen too quickly. I was a bit apprehensive about it, but excited at the same time. As I listened the wariness began to subside and I found myself enjoying the album almost as much as Black Future. The multitude of weaving melodies and assailing riffs echo those of the debut. Then David Disanto’s vocal assault leaves a blistering aftertaste on the already exhilarating platter. Stylistically there is not much of a change between Outer Isolation and Black Future, but there doesn’t need to be. Vektor’s distinguished formula has already sent them to the forefront of modern thrash. There has been a few complaints about them re-recording three older songs, but I’m pleased that they did as they sound far superior to the low quality of the demo. Overall Outer Isolation doesn’t surpass the debut, but they have not fallen into an ever dreadful sophomore slump. The album still packs a solar storm of expertise that is rivaled by no other.

“Tetrastructual Minds” - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1tAbcWrrIQU
Old 01-28-2012, 06:13 AM
Look at me now, using torches of fire, look higher than anyone else, I am the great juggler!

I guess that just leaves Moonbase for the next Vektor album. I'm actually really excited to hear how that song will turn out re-recorded.
Old 01-28-2012, 11:15 AM
Altars of Radness

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnataFan4Life View Post
I guess that just leaves Moonbase for the next Vektor album. I'm actually really excited to hear how that song will turn out re-recorded.
Yeah, I'm looking forward to hearing that too.

And I'm hoping they can get on some decent tours with the new album out. I'm really surprised bands like Bonded by Blood, Evile, and Warbringer are able to get on tours with well established bands, yet Vektor is stuck playing shows with local bands opening for them.