Home Set Lists Forums The Permanent Record Asshole Opinion

High on Fire -- Los Angeles, CA -- August 19th, 2014
Nothing More -- Baltimore, MD -- August 18th, 2014
Boris -- Vancouver, British Columbia -- August 17th, 2014
Motley Crue -- Alpharetta, GA -- August 16th, 2014
Tom Petty & The Heartbreakers -- Vancouver, British Columbia -- August 14th, 2014

Old 01-14-2012, 01:43 PM
rolling critical success on casting a level 7 stagedive

I should add some "honorable mentions" to my top hardcore albums of 2011 that I got way into after I made the list, like Stick Together, Soul Search, and Turnstile. Great year.
Old 01-14-2012, 01:51 PM
Altars of Radness

Do iiiiiiiitttt. Stick Together played a show here with Soul Search a couple weeks ago.
Old 01-16-2012, 04:58 AM
Altars of Radness

Artist: Assaulter
Title: Boundless!
Genre: Thrash Metal / Black Metal
Label: Metal Blade Records

Between Assaulter and Deströyer 666 you might say that Australia specializes in blackened thrash and with this record that has held true. This is Assaulter’s sophomore album and it is even more sinister than the debut. What this three piece has created will rip you to shreds. The snarling vocals and gritty guitar tone scorch your flesh until it is no more. Boundless! is a bit different from Salvation Like Destruction, focusing less on the black metal aspects and more on medium paced thrash. The riffs are dynamic, utilizing both tight thrash rhythms and the blistering speed that is found on the debut. There are also some intriguing melodic leads that have a distinct Middle Eastern feel to them. The production is a major improvement over the first album, which felt very thin. Now the guitars have power behind them and the drums are not buried in a deluge of noise. Overall Boundless! is a positive evolution for the band and should not be passed up by fans of blackened thrash metal.

“Dying Day” – http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LwbcpdXgff0

Last edited by treghet; 01-16-2012 at 05:11 AM.
Old 01-16-2012, 12:41 PM
Altars of Radness

Artist: Disma
Title: Towards the Megalith
Genre: Death Metal
Label: Profound Lore Records

From the start Disma was a tremendously respected band, with their demo solidifying their reputation and taking the underground by storm. With ex-Incantation vocalist Craig Pillard holding the reigns they had birthed a monster. This one release had gained them a strong following and they were even invited to play the second Rites of Darkness festival. Only two years after the demo they set out to put a full length under their belts. The album was highly anticipated and justly so, as they had already proved what they were capable of writing devastating material. From the opening moments the album bombards you with curdling riffs and thundering drums. Craig’s abominable gutturals envelope the massive sound. The destructive songs hammer away through tumultuous passages, swinging their colossal momentum and decimating all who fail to escape their path. With Towards the Megalith Disma has one upped Incantation in every shape and form. This immense debut has squashed any doubt that they are one of the best new bands in the scene.

“Purulent Quest” - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qb38CDQDQOo
Old 01-16-2012, 12:42 PM
Altars of Radness

Artist: Wormrot
Title: Noise
Genre: Grindcore
Label: Scion A/V

Wormrot is one of those bands that seems to get better with every release they divulge, commanding the attention of fans on an international scale. This past year they gained the attention of Scion A/V, who brought them out to the third annual Scion Rock Fest and later paid for all of the expenses to release this EP for free. Their sophomore record, Dirge, which also came out in 2011, was an immense album, however this five minute experience of blasting insanity has managed to be stronger yet. In terms of length this does not compare to the full length, but all of the songs here completely rip like never before. After the feedback intro for “Loathsome Delusions” they put it into fifth gear with an eardrum shattering power. The frantic drumming, sporadic riffs, and macabre growls and screams all mesh together for total chaos. Plowing onward at breakneck speed, Wormrot has once again impressed the grindcore scene with another fantastic release. This is easily the best abomination that the Singaporean trio has spewed forth thus far.

“Outburst of Annoyance” - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oa70MJ6FwFw
Old 01-16-2012, 12:47 PM
Altars of Radness

Artist: Antichrist
Title: Forbidden World
Genre: Thrash Metal
Label: High Roller Records

I admit that for the most part I am not fond of the “retro thrash” movement, so when I heard about this album I was a bit cautious, however, upon listening I was totally enthralled by the essence of the music. It was actually the complete opposite of what I expected. It’s not an attempt to modernize the ‘80s thrash sound, it is the ‘80s thrash sound done to perfection. Simply put, this is not anything like one of the terrible albums with uninspired riffs, weak vocals, and sterile production that we have been showered with in recent years. Sweden’s Antichrist combines elements of early Destruction (Sentence of Death and Infernal Overkill) and Slayer (Show No Mercy) with a renewed agility. Every song is full of punchy riffs and lethal solos. Then there are the menacing vocals, which are performed remarkably well. They sound like they came straight from the depths of hell and you’ll hear a few of those falsettos reminiscent of Tom Araya and Schmier. The production puts a nice finish on the album, giving the guitars a crunchy sound and the vocals an ominous feel. It is thrash metal executed exactly as it was meant to be, raw and unforgiving.

“Victims of the Blade” - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=usg6K95Ha2I
Old 01-16-2012, 12:48 PM
N00B

The last three are all on my list to check out, especially Assaulter due to my love for D666.
10/3 Anathema/ Alcest
10/4 Mark Lanegan
11/1 Dax Riggs
11/8 LOG/KSE
12/12 High on Fire
2/22 DT/OG
Old 01-18-2012, 08:38 PM
The cameras are whores for the daily bloodshed.

I definately gotta check out that Disma. Heard they rule.

11/03-Suffocation, Kataklysm (?)
11/25-Slayer (?)
Old 01-20-2012, 05:12 AM
Altars of Radness

Quote:
Originally Posted by hellawaits77ny View Post
I definately gotta check out that Disma. Heard they rule.
They do.
Old 01-20-2012, 05:17 AM
Altars of Radness

Artist: Rotten Sound
Title: Cursed
Genre: Grindcore / Death Metal
Label: Relapse Records

Rotten Sound has been churning out their hybrid of grindcore and Swedish death metal for years now and they have been extremely consistent at keeping the quality to an untouchable level. Cursed continues the trend, delivering twenty-eight minutes the trademark sound that satisfies both old school death metal and grindcore fans alike. “Alone” opens the record with furious blast beats and insane riffing and then leads into the next mammoth, “Superior.” The intensity does not subside. As on past releases there are a few numbers that drop down the pace, such as “Declare,” employing a disease ridden sludgy sound. The production on Cursed is a bit thicker than on previous albums, but it maintains the Sunlight Studios style, giving it a bit of a heavier feel. Rotten Sound has excreted another repulsive slab of grinding death and it is clear they have not lost their touch after all these years.

“Plan” - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WRkwVqukkbA