Judas Priest -- Salt Lake City, UT -- November 12th, 1990
Korn -- Denver, CO -- July 29th, 2002

Old 01-08-2012, 01:50 AM
Altars of Radness

Artist: Naysayer
Title: Laid to Rest
Genre: Hardcore
Label: Reaper Records

After two crushing EPs Richmond, Virginia’s Naysayer has presented their first full length effort. Recently there has been a revival of the classic NYHC sound, but only a handful of these young bands are worth their salt. Naysayer clearly emulates the style of the early Madball records and others of that time frame, but they do not come off as one of the many worship bands out there today. They offer a grittier, heavier take on the popular ‘90s sound. The chunky riffs more closely resemble the modern sound of Terror and Trapped Under Ice, while the vocals are much more raspy than the those of the aforementioned bands. Laid to Rest shows this determined band in top form and they have only gotten better with each of their releases, so I look forward to what they have in store for the future.

“Undertow” - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OW2A5VSq7Zk

Last edited by treghet; 01-10-2012 at 12:24 PM.
Old 01-09-2012, 09:22 PM
The cameras are whores for the daily bloodshed.

More praise for Naysayer, I definately need to check these guys out.

07/28-Cannibal Corpse (?)
08/09-Heavy MTL (?)
08/10-Heavy MTL (?)
11/03-Suffocation, Kataklysm
Old 01-10-2012, 12:17 PM
Altars of Radness

Yes, you do! They are pretty damn good.
Old 01-10-2012, 12:24 PM
Altars of Radness

Artist: Immolation
Title: Providence
Genre: Death Metal
Label: Scion A/V

Bands that have managed to stay true to their roots and continually release remarkable albums throughout their entire careers are few and far between, but Immolation has done exactly that. To commemorate the band’s 25th anniversary they set out on a brief tour and released a new EP for free, courtesy of Scion A/V, and it has not wavered from the trademark style they have become so renowned for. The writing and production are in the same vein as Majesty and Decay, with dynamic song structures and a crystal clear, yet equally crushing presentation. Bob Vigna’s unmistakable guitar work shines through here and is complemented exceptionally well by precise drumming and Ross Dolan’s purring growls. With twenty-five years of creating music now behind them, Immolation shows no signs of letting up. The band has maintained the excellent quality of their past releases, allowing Providence to fit in comfortably with the rest of their discography.

“Still Lost” - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SfAC6yHJ-f0
Old 01-13-2012, 01:18 AM
rolling critical success on casting a level 7 stagedive

Quote:
Originally Posted by treghet View Post
Artist: Naysayer
Title: Laid to Rest
Label: Reaper Records

After two crushing EPs Richmond, Virginia’s Naysayer has presented their first full length effort. Recently there has been a revival of the classic NYHC sound, but only a handful of these young bands are worth their salt. Naysayer clearly emulates the style of the early Madball records and others of that time frame, but they do not come off as one of the many worship bands out there today. They offer a grittier, heavier take on the popular ‘90s sound. The chunky riffs more closely resemble the modern sound of Terror and Trapped Under Ice, while the vocals are much more raspy than the those of the aforementioned bands. Laid to Rest shows this determined band in top form and they have only gotten better with each of their releases, so I look forward to what they have in store for the future.

“Undertow” - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OW2A5VSq7Zk

Was just rocking this earlier today. I really hate that cover for some reason, but the album is fantastic.
Old 01-13-2012, 01:19 AM
Altars of Radness

Quote:
Originally Posted by jd091 View Post

Was just rocking this earlier today. I really hate that cover for some reason, but the album is fantastic.
Yeah, I don't care for the cover either.

I've been slacking on this list. I'm going to post more stuff soon!
Old 01-14-2012, 02:17 AM
Altars of Radness

Artist: Sargeist
Title: Lair of Necromancy
Genre: Black Metal
Label: Hospital Productions

Throughout the past decade Sargeist has remained a prominent force in the Finnish black metal scene by releasing three remarkable albums, the most recent being 2010’s Let the Devil In. Riding on the praise of the last full length, they have offered a two song EP to follow it up. Lair of Necromancy is essentially a continuation of Let the Devil In, with the same direction and production style. However, this should not be viewed as a con, as these songs are just as effective as those on the full length. The striking melodies remain compelling despite their simplistic nature and the snarling vocals deliver them a powerful supplement of chaos. Although Sargeist’s formula does not deviate from the parameters of the usual black metal style it manages to engage the listener just as any of the classic records of the past do.

“The Moon Growing Colder” - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DM_RyaTsE_M
Old 01-14-2012, 05:09 AM
Altars of Radness

Artist: Soul Search
Title: Bury the Blame
Label: Triple-B Records

I’ve noticed that in the vast LA hardcore scene there are only a few bands that really stand out as something remarkable. Among the few is Soul Search, who has already made a tremendous impact despite being a newcomer to the game. In 2010 they released their first demo, which even gained the attention of Scott Vogel, who commented that it blew him away. The demo quickly circulated around and by 2011 they had struck a record deal. With that they headed out on a full US tour for the release of their first EP. Bury the Blame shows the band’s progression from their demo, which was already outstanding in its own right. The riffs hit even harder and the crunchy guitar tone only amplifies their pulverizing execution. The lyrics contrast the tough outer shell, focusing on personal struggles and realizing the mistakes you’ve made. Bury the Blame is a crushing experience from beginning to end and it has brought Soul Search into the light as one of the frontrunners of Southern California hardcore.

“Nobody’s Nothing” - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_n-bBjtaotc
Old 01-14-2012, 11:51 AM
rolling critical success on casting a level 7 stagedive

That Soul Search EP is pretty awesome. I actually own it, physically!
Old 01-14-2012, 01:33 PM
Altars of Radness

Quote:
Originally Posted by jd091 View Post
That Soul Search EP is pretty awesome. I actually own it, physically!
As do I.