Black Label Society -- Memphis, TN -- July 27th, 2014
Megadeth -- Milwaukee, WI -- July 19th, 2013
Family Values Tour -- Denver, CO -- November 11th, 2001
Judas Priest -- Salt Lake City, UT -- November 12th, 1990

Go Back   WWW.METALSETLISTS.COM > Community Forums > Album Reviews

Old 02-21-2012, 10:37 PM
Pop Punk > Slipknot and Y&T

Manky's Top 10 Pop-Punk Albums!

Hi! This is a list of my top 10 favorite pop-punk albums at the time. A few things:

1. This is not a "top pop-punk albums of all time" list or anything like that. Just my own personal list.

2. I didn't include a few albums because I haven't listened to them that much. I'm still very much finding out about most of the pop-punk out there. These albums, though, I've listened to a ton. Most of them for 10+ years.

3. One album per band. If I didn't have it that way, the entire list would be 3 - 4 bands.

Okay, here we go.

====

AFI - Sing The Sorrow

Let's start this list off right, by pissing a bunch of people off. This is probably the "least" pop punk album on this list. It's where AFI focused more on darker sounds and leaned more towards alt/hard rock, but there's still enough of that infectious pop-punk still here to put it on this list. This album honestly might be my most-listened to album in junior high. I think "The Leaving Song, Pt. 2" is an epic packed into 3 1/2 minutes, and "Dancing Through Sunday" is a definite pit starter. Some songs are utterly forgettable, but I unashamedly love the great songs on this album. If you're looking to get into AFI, stop at this album.

Recommended tracks: The Leaving Song Part 2, Girl's Not Grey, Paper Airplanes (Makeshift Wings)

08/07 - Handguns (?)
08/15 - Whores
Old 02-21-2012, 10:46 PM

Fireworks - Gospel

As soon as I heard this album, I was absolutely dumbfounded why this album doesn't top the charts and receive a ton of airplay. This is the perfect combination of punk music with pop music aesthetics that you'll find from any of the "nu" pop-punk bands. "Arrows" is one of the best songs I've ever heard. It has all the elements - a catchy chorus, a solo, meaningful lyrics. Like I said, it's just amazing that Fireworks isn't much bigger than they are. Despite a few clunker tracks and not the easiest vocalist to universally love (although I kinda like how unique he is), Gospel is a killer addition to this band's discography.

Recommended tracks: Arrows, Paintings of Paul Revere, X's On Trees

08/07 - Handguns (?)
08/15 - Whores
Old 02-21-2012, 11:04 PM
Bitch, shut up and blast beat my meat like a Pete Sandoval with titties.

hmmm... Kind of surprising so far.

1/19- Despise You
1/21- Castle
2/14- Hatebreed
3/16- AILD
Old 02-21-2012, 11:04 PM

Jimmy Eat World - Bleed American

A criminally underrated band, "Bleed American" is probably Jimmy Eat World's magnum opus. It combines the emo sounds of their past few records and infuses them with the pop-punk style of the time. "The Middle" is catchy, but just the tip of the iceberg. My favorite track here is "A Praise Chorus." It's pretty hard not to sing along with it. "Sweetness" is one of the heavier songs that Jimmy Eat World has ever done, and my favorite single from the record. I don't think they've ever replicated the perfect blending of emo, pop-punk and indie rock with anything else after this album, but their whole discography is so good!

Recommended tracks: Sweetness, A Praise Chorus, The Authority Song

08/07 - Handguns (?)
08/15 - Whores
Old 02-21-2012, 11:11 PM

Taking Back Sunday - Tell All Your Friends

I actually think TBS' third album, "Louder Now" has three of the best songs they've ever done, "Tell All Your Friends" is much stronger from start to finish. So many memorable songs here, and that's not even including the biggest songs here. Most of the songs follow the same formula, but it's a formula that definitely works. If you were a teen in the early '00s, this album was your best friend. Lots of great songs to jump around to, but lyrics to satisfy that brooding, misunderstood teen in everyone. A classic!

Recommend tracks: Cute Without The E (Cut From The Team), Great Romances Of The 20th Century, The Blue Channel

08/07 - Handguns (?)
08/15 - Whores
Old 02-21-2012, 11:18 PM

MxPx - Life In General

MxPx is just fun. It's pure happiness and energy and good vibes. They always have been. "Life In General" is great because I think it really embodies the mindset of this genre of music for the time. It's all silly songs about girls, about punk rock shows, about school, about life in general. The fast pace should satisfy old-school skate punk fans, too. If you can get over the sometimes super cheesy lyrics and appreciate this as just a fun record, it should appeal to everyone!

Recommended tracks: Middlename, New York To Nowhere, Southbound

08/07 - Handguns (?)
08/15 - Whores
Old 02-21-2012, 11:28 PM

Saves The Day - Through Being Cool

Another band whose popularity doesn't measure up to how influential they are. "Milo Goes to College" might have set the pop-punk blueprints, but "Through Being Cool" is what made those blueprints into something real. Poignant lyrics, great punk riffing and catchiness - it's all here. Lots of bands have done it, but Saves The Day have done it better.

Recommended tracks: You Vandal, Holly Hox, Forget Me Nots, The Vast Spoils Of America

08/07 - Handguns (?)
08/15 - Whores
Old 02-21-2012, 11:37 PM
That Guy

I'll be the first to say it...

...So Far, So Good!

Just keep the New Found Glory out and we have a winning list.
Old 02-21-2012, 11:38 PM
THIS IS LHHC!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mankvill View Post

Taking Back Sunday - Tell All Your Friends

I actually think TBS' third album, "Louder Now" has three of the best songs they've ever done, "Tell All Your Friends" is much stronger from start to finish. So many memorable songs here, and that's not even including the biggest songs here. Most of the songs follow the same formula, but it's a formula that definitely works. If you were a teen in the early '00s, this album was your best friend. Lots of great songs to jump around to, but lyrics to satisfy that brooding, misunderstood teen in everyone. A classic!

Recommend tracks: Cute Without The E (Cut From The Team), Great Romances Of The 20th Century, The Blue Channel

Not gonna lie, Timberwolves at New Jersey might be one of my favorite songs of this genre.
8/15 Dr. Shrinker
8/16 KISS
8/23 Midnight ?
8/29 Sleep
Old 02-21-2012, 11:38 PM

The Wonder Years - The Upsides

This album should be mandatory listening to everyone in high school/college. If I knew about this album back when I was having a lot of problems, it would have helped a ton. People might scream that this album is super overrated, but I really think it deserves every inch of praise written about it. The biggest new pop-punk band that makes danceable/moshable music with lyrics that should hit home with everyone who has ever been a teenager. Hop on the bandwagon. It's not too late!

Recommended tracks: Melrose Diner, Washington Square Park, This Party Sucks

08/07 - Handguns (?)
08/15 - Whores