Home Set Lists Forums The Permanent Record Asshole Opinion

Neurosis -- Tucson, AZ -- October 18, 2014
The Empty Hearts -- Cranston, RI -- October 19th, 2014
King Diamond -- Toronto, Ontario -- October 18th, 2014
Satan -- Toronto, Ontario -- October 17th, 2014
Deicide -- Kansas City, MO -- October 17th, 2014

Old 01-04-2012, 10:24 AM
You can't save me any more than you can save yourself, so stop fucking trying

That chart a few posts up; Today is the Day as stoner metal? I don't see it. Sure he's probably fucked up when he makes music but if being a pothead makes you a stoner rock band that means pretty much every band out there are a stoner rock band. I can't really say where I'd classify Today is the Day in that chart. They've dabbled in grindcore and classic heavy metal, but they're just Today is the Day.

On the topic of a black metal or death metal episode; don't count on it. Mainstream america WILL NOT watch a show with bands they've never heard of or have no intrest in. Most people have at least heard of Iron Maiden, Nirvana and Limp Bizkit, the latter two being why there's grunge and nu-metal episodes. If anything there could be an "extreme" metal episode that covers death, black, grind and whatever else but even that would be a stretch for VH1 because they no that virtually no one will be watching.
12/06 - Distant Worlds: the Music of Final Fantasy
03/07 - Video Games Live
Old 01-04-2012, 10:45 AM
Traditionalist Asshole

This shouldn't be something that caters to casual fans though. This should be something that caters to hardcore metal fans cries of never having a great metal program on Vh1.
Old 01-04-2012, 10:52 AM
Metal is proof that Satan loves us and wants us to be happy.

Ummm...Cradle of Shit are from Great Britain, not Norway.
Old 01-04-2012, 11:37 PM
You can't save me any more than you can save yourself, so stop fucking trying

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRA View Post
This shouldn't be something that caters to casual fans though. This should be something that caters to hardcore metal fans cries of never having a great metal program on Vh1.
It's all about ratings, and while you and me may love to watch an hour about the history of Carcass 99% of the people watching VH1 will change the channel.
12/06 - Distant Worlds: the Music of Final Fantasy
03/07 - Video Games Live
Old 01-05-2012, 06:38 AM
Traditionalist Asshole

Quote:
Originally Posted by adamclark52 View Post
It's all about ratings, and while you and me may love to watch an hour about the history of Carcass 99% of the people watching VH1 will change the channel.

Yea, because Power Metal, Progressive Metal and NWOBHM will totally bring the ratings.
Old 01-05-2012, 06:57 AM
N00B

The thrash episode was an abomination.
Sure, it is airing on VH1 which means the focus was going to be on the big 4.
How can you ignore Sodom, Kreator, and Destruction?

Also, since this is about how metal evolved, he is 100% incorrect in making claims that thrash evolved into the New Wave of American Heavy Metal (IE - Lamb of God).

That whole genre is marketing. ALL of those bands (IE - Shadows Fall, LOG, Killswitch, etc) were marketed as hardcore bands and were on hardcore labels up until OZZFEST became a household name.

That scene did not in any way evolve from thrash.

The only part of the episode that was dead on was that the LA scene was more open than the NY scene in terms of cross-breeding genres (IE - punk / hardcore / metal) at shows, even though many think the whole NYHC scene was more open to it.
Old 01-05-2012, 07:12 AM
Catch The Rainbow

Quote:
Originally Posted by BloodoftheKings View Post
It's lame that there won't be any Death or Black metal episodes but VH1 Classic s the only channel on tv that shows anything metal related so I won't trash them.
Those were addressed in one of the episodes but I don't remember which one......Or maybe I'm thinking of Metal: A Headbanger's Journey????

Last edited by Fe Maiden; 01-05-2012 at 07:29 PM.
Old 01-05-2012, 08:05 AM
welp

Again, I don't really get why so many people are getting so pissed about this. If Dunn did this independently, I'm sure it would cover death, black, thrash other than the Big 4, etc. But with VH1 backing and (probably) funding the project, I'm sure they have a big say in it. You should be happy that they at least gave Testament and Exodus airtime on the show, coming from a channel that caters to people that are nostalgic of the POPULAR music of the '90's and prior.
Old 01-05-2012, 08:20 AM
Traditionalist Asshole

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jasonic View Post
The thrash episode was an abomination.
Sure, it is airing on VH1 which means the focus was going to be on the big 4.
How can you ignore Sodom, Kreator, and Destruction?

Also, since this is about how metal evolved, he is 100% incorrect in making claims that thrash evolved into the New Wave of American Heavy Metal (IE - Lamb of God).

That whole genre is marketing. ALL of those bands (IE - Shadows Fall, LOG, Killswitch, etc) were marketed as hardcore bands and were on hardcore labels up until OZZFEST became a household name.

That scene did not in any way evolve from thrash.

The only part of the episode that was dead on was that the LA scene was more open than the NY scene in terms of cross-breeding genres (IE - punk / hardcore / metal) at shows, even though many think the whole NYHC scene was more open to it.
No way were they gonna talk about German Thrash, though they could have brought up Pleasure To Kill and Agent Orange when Slagel was talking about thrash albums popping up all over the world.

And yea, I would have much rather Dunn bring up the thrash revival like Municipal Waste and Revocation than Lamb of God and fucking In Flames.

Last edited by JRA; 01-05-2012 at 08:28 AM.
Old 01-05-2012, 05:20 PM
N00B

I actually like the show, but my biggest complaint(s) about the show is I think that some of the episodes should have been more than an hour long. Especially the NWOBHM and Thrash episodes. I also don't care for how some of the bands where placed in categories that don't really fit their style.

I'm also disappointed that their is no Black Metal episode. In Metal: A Headbangers Journey that was my favorite segment in the movie, so I was really hoping to see it covered.Black Metal might not be mainstream but it's extreme and extremes do sell.