Home Set Lists Forums The Permanent Record Asshole Opinion

DragonForce -- Aberdeen, Scotland - September 18th, 2014
Electric Light Orchestra -- London, England -- September 14th, 2014
Skeletonwitch -- West Springfield, VA -- September 12th, 2014
KISS -- Lake Oswego, OR -- September 14th, 2014
Richie Kotzen -- London, England -- September 16th, 2014

Old 01-01-2012, 09:14 PM
N00B

Being a huge film buff myself (planning on going to film school and become a director) I've been really behind this year. I don't know why, I guess lack of money and no film really drove me to go to the movies much this year... I will definitely see the movies on your list that I haven't. I loved Girl with the Dragon Tattoo though
Old 01-01-2012, 09:18 PM
Rats off to ya

I don't keep up with movies lately cause not much of the movies coming out really interest me. I saw 5 movies this year and the only 2 I really liked were The Muppets and Hobo With a Shotgun. Scream 4 and Captain America were decent and i'd rather not talk about the other movie I saw. I still need to see Human Centipede 2 and X-Men First Class and I heard Drive is good so I guess i'll check that out eventually.

EDIT: I also saw Super 8. That was pretty great.

Last edited by BloodoftheKings; 01-01-2012 at 09:24 PM.
Old 01-02-2012, 03:41 AM
Not popular in Buffalo

I have been subjected myself to as many films as possible this year. My goal is to see a majority of the films released in 2011, regardless If I wanted to see them or not. So far, I've seen 83 (clearly I'm not even close to my goal). I will post my favorites of the year later this week (I am waiting to see Girl With The Dragon Tattoo).

I have only seen 3 films from your list so far Brad. Super 8 and Moneyball are both in my top 10 as well, both excellent films. Rango, on the other hand, I thought was really average. Although it had some elements I liked (like you said in your review, the animation is amazing) It lacked the spark and wit that most Pixar films have and I didn't really care what happened to the characters.

http://maitlandsmadness.blogspot.com/
Old 01-02-2012, 06:39 AM
We're dying on the inside

How did you see 83 movies and manage to miss all but three of these? You must have been seeing some real shit.
Old 01-02-2012, 06:46 AM
Not popular in Buffalo

Quote:
Originally Posted by DethMaiden View Post
How did you see 83 movies and manage to miss all but three of these? You must have been seeing some real shit.
A good majority of the movies I saw this year were on DVD and most of the those seven aren't on DVD yet (I actually haven't even heard of Weekend ). I believe Midnight In Paris is the next movie I'm getting on Netflix, so that will knock another one off your list.

http://maitlandsmadness.blogspot.com/
Old 01-02-2012, 06:50 AM

Ahh, I gotcha. Well, Weekend and Meek's Cutoff are both streaming on Netflix Instant, and you owe it to yourself to see War Horse while it's still in theaters. Absolutely gorgeous on that massive screen.
Old 01-02-2012, 09:09 AM
Some People Call Me The White Devil

Quote:
Originally Posted by powerslave_85 View Post
I think Hugo was the best use of 3D I've seen so far, by a long shot.

I'll have a list together in a week or two. I want to see Warhorse and Tintin first.
Yea Huge was great in 3D and I HATE the whole 3D fad.

Still want to see Tintin and for some reason I just can't get myself to want to see War Horse.
Old 01-02-2012, 09:21 AM
Metal is proof that Satan loves us and wants us to be happy.

I knew this would happen. I read your list and got fucking depressed - mainly because I've only seen 1 1/2 of the movies on it (saw all of Moneyball and half of Paris - more on those in a minute).

Clearly I just saw way too few movies this year (and by this I mean too few movies in general, but especially in theaters), and I was well aware of that before clicking the link. Still, I was glad to read the reviews. For one thing, your writing style keeps getting better and better (although don't let that go to your fucking head, ya punk ), and also because of the obvious benefit of getting some good ideas about what to try to watch next. I'm most looking forward to Drive, Super 8 and Rango (in that order). For the record, that was already the case before reading your reviews, but reading them did help confirm what I was already thinking.

One thing, though. I fucking hated what I saw of Paris. I mean, I think I get the general plot and I see what the filmmakers were trying to do, but even though I love art in all its various forms, I just could not understand why I should give a fuck what was happening on the screen the whole time. I saw the second half of the movie, if that helps explain anything, but to me the movie just did not make me care about what was happening. Wilson was comical and likeable as always, but beyond that, I just don't know.

Anyways, nice list.
Old 01-02-2012, 10:43 AM

You really shouldn't judge a movie by its back end considering all the setup takes place in the first half. I'm sorry you didn't like what you saw, but yeah, give it a full go and I'm sure you won't be disappointed.
Old 01-02-2012, 01:30 PM
Metal is proof that Satan loves us and wants us to be happy.

Well, it certainly doesn't hurt that Rachel McAdams is the female lead. I've got a weakness for that gal that I can't quite explain. My wife already returned it to Blockbuster, though, so who knows when it'll end up back in my queue. We'll see.

Seriously, though - see Dragon Tattoo. It's fucking tits (both literally and figuratively speaking).