Megadeth -- Milwaukee, WI -- July 19, 2013
Family Values Tour -- Denver, CO-- November 11th, 2001
Judas Priest -- Salt Lake City, UT -- November 12th, 1990
Korn -- Denver, CO -- July 29th, 2002
Queen + Adam Lambert - Toronto, ON - July 28th, 2014

Old 01-13-2012, 11:36 PM
N00B

3. City & Colour - Little Hell

For my money, Dallas Green is one of the best vocalists out there. The best way I can describe his voice is that it's just pure. And while his singing was incredible on his first two records, his songwriting wasn't nearly as strong and was really hit or miss. On Little Hell, his growth as a song writer really shows and results in his most balanced release to date. In addition to the improved songwriting, the addition of a full backing band really lets the songs breathe without drowning out the vocals. Melancholic, dark, beautiful and his finest album to date.

2. Steven Wilson - Grace For Drowning

Steven Wilson seems to be one of the most busy people in music. When I first heard about his forthcoming solo record I was giddy, even though his previous album, Insurgentes, had fallen flat for me save a couple standout tracks.

No doubt his most ambitious release yet, Grace For Drowning is well over an hour long, and split into two volumes. Wilson recruited many prolific musicians for this record including Jordan Rudess of Dream Theater, a host of jazz musicians, a London orchestra, and a choir. This results in a diverse array of songs from the classic Wilson melancholy of "Postcard", to the dark, fucked up madness of "Remainder of the Black Dog". Despite there being very little distorted guitar, the album is not lacking heaviness at all. Heavy sax grooves and flute solos are aplenty in the 23 minute prog opus "Raider II" which is probably the standout of the album. In addition, "Deform To Form A Star" might be the most beautiful song Steven has ever written which is saying a lot. Such an amazing work that takes me on an epic musical journey every time I listen to it. A modern prog classic in my eyes.

1. Bon Iver - Bon Iver, Bon Iver

Having loved the debut For Emma, Forever Ago, this album was one of my most anticipated of the year. Vocalist Justin Vernon, much like Dallas Green, decided to put his stripped down folk style to the side in favor of a fuller sound courtesy of a new band. His instantly recognizable layered falsetto is still prevalent, and sounds fantastic as always. The new band, including a saxophonist, horn players, steel guitar, etc along with Vernon's incredible voice result in some of the most lush sonic landscapes I have ever heard. This album takes me away to an otherworldly place of beauty and fills my heart with joy like no other piece of music this year. And yes I realize that last sentence sounds a little cheesy but I don't care haha
10/3 Anathema/ Alcest
10/4 Mark Lanegan
11/1 Dax Riggs
11/8 LOG/KSE
12/12 High on Fire
2/22 DT/OG
Old 01-13-2012, 11:41 PM
Hell Bent for Liquor

BRING ON TEH METULZ PLZ
01.27 Dark Tranquillity
Old 01-13-2012, 11:45 PM
Altars of Radness

If Brad was still here he would be proud.
Old 01-13-2012, 11:52 PM
Hell Bent for Liquor

Quote:
Originally Posted by treghet View Post
If Brad was still here he would be proud.
Exactly what I was thinking

I almost accused Rocco of being the new Brad until I realized this wasn't his canon list
01.27 Dark Tranquillity
Old 01-14-2012, 12:47 AM
Happy birthday, darling. We love you very very very very very very much

What was your favorite TV show finale of the year, Rocco?
3/15 Gogol Bordello
Old 01-14-2012, 12:51 AM
Altars of Radness

Quote:
Originally Posted by brutal_descent View Post
Sometimes you don't make sense.
Old 01-14-2012, 12:57 AM
Hell Bent for Liquor

Walking Dead midseason finale > everything
01.27 Dark Tranquillity
Old 01-14-2012, 10:20 AM
N00B

Quote:
Originally Posted by Epidemic Reign View Post
BRING ON TEH METULZ PLZ
Haha, I'm saving the best for last
Quote:
Originally Posted by brutal_descent View Post
Glee
Quote:
Originally Posted by Epidemic Reign View Post
Walking Dead midseason finale > everything
Incorrect
10/3 Anathema/ Alcest
10/4 Mark Lanegan
11/1 Dax Riggs
11/8 LOG/KSE
12/12 High on Fire
2/22 DT/OG
Old 01-15-2012, 09:56 AM
N00B

Ok, now for the main event. The order isn't perfect because it was driving me crazy trying to compare such a wide variety of albums. So keep in mind that there isn't too much of a difference from #35 and #55.

58. Protest The Hero - Scurrilous

I was expecting to like this album a lot more than I did especially since it clicked with a bunch of people who said they weren't a fan before this album. Part of the problem is that I'm not the biggest fan of Roddy's clean vocals and they get really old after a while. The riffs and musicianship are amazing as usual but not memorable enough for me.

57. Devin Townsend Project - Deconstruction

This one will probably get me a lot of shit as well. I think you either get Devy's music or you don't and I guess I don't. That being said, I do enjoy a good amount of his material including Addicted so I was looking forward to this album so this placement on my list shows my disappointment. Way too over the top and circus like for my taste. I guess I like my music to be serious for the most part, so the fart noises and gimmicks turn me off. The guest appearances were also to blame for my high hopes and some of the best vocalists out there were barely noticeable upon first listen. That said, there is some solid material in here and its obvious that Devin is some sort of musical genius but I just don't "get" this one.

56. Unearth - Darkness In The Light

There was a time in my life when I worshiped these guys but I guess I'm just not into melodic metalcore like I used to be. The Maiden riffs are still there, Trevor's vocals snarled vocals as well, they just don't seem to have the same energy that they used to. There are still some great solos, groove laden riffs, cool breakdowns for longtime fans of Unearth, but I'm still reaching for The Oncoming Storm when I need my fix.
10/3 Anathema/ Alcest
10/4 Mark Lanegan
11/1 Dax Riggs
11/8 LOG/KSE
12/12 High on Fire
2/22 DT/OG
Old 01-22-2012, 09:50 PM
N00B

55. Darkest Hour - The Human Romance

I've been a fan of these guys for most of my metal years, and they are still churning out quality metal. Even though not too excited about this style of music anymore, I still enjoy their brand of thrashy, melodic death.

54. Old Silver Key - Tales of Wanderings

On paper I should love this album. Members of Drudkh and Neige on vocals definitely had my interest but this fell way short of my expectations. It's basically what you think it would sound like, shogazy post rock with clean vocals, but really watered down. Not a bad release but pretty pointless with all the amazing material from the member's other bands.

53. Crowbar - Sever The Wicked Hand

Another heavy slab of doomy sludge from Windstein and company. Some really good songs on this album, but a bit too much filler for it to be higher on my list.
10/3 Anathema/ Alcest
10/4 Mark Lanegan
11/1 Dax Riggs
11/8 LOG/KSE
12/12 High on Fire
2/22 DT/OG