Flotsam and Jetsam -- West Hollywood, CA -- July 9th, 2014
King Buzzo -- Dover, NH -- July 9, 2014
Slash -- Hampton Beach, NH -- July 9th, 2014
Sebastian Bach -- London, England -- July 9th, 2014

Old 10-02-2012, 07:35 PM
Hagbard Celine, H.M., S.H.

Sep69's always talking about that damn restaurant
Old 10-02-2012, 07:47 PM
Metal is proof that Satan loves us and wants us to be happy.

Oh yeah, now I remember that conversation. I thought you were talking about the band and their new album somehow...

Anyways, I think I'll make a few posts in here before I head upstairs for bed. So where was I?
Old 10-02-2012, 07:54 PM

Ah yes...number 18. Well, I'm a bit confused right now, because I specifically remember writing a mini-review for this, but it must have been deleted somehow, or not posted correctly. I'll look for it tomorrow when I have access to the laptop I was using at the time. Suffice to say it was this little gem:

18. Fucked Up - David Comes to Life

Like I said, I'll try to find the blurb I wrote and post it later. If I can't find it, I'll write a new one.

EDIT: I never found it. So...what I remember from the blurb I wrote was that that it had something to do with the fact that this album is actually a concept album - an almost 80-minute long rock opera in four acts, to be exact - which tells a story about a character named David who works in a light bulb factory, and there's something about a girl named Veronica, and falling in love, and somebody dies, and shit like that...but mostly it was about how Fucked Up had a lot of balls making an album like this, considering they reside squarely in a genre where song lengths are typically measured in chunks of a minute or two, and the closest thing to a concept album is that all of the songs on an album are about the same subject such as hating the government, or something like that. At any rate, it's an ambitious album by a band that's so much more than your typical run-of-the-mill punk outfit, and as such, it deserves your attention.

Last edited by Natrlhi; 10-08-2012 at 07:24 PM.
Old 10-02-2012, 08:13 PM

17. Helms Alee - Weatherhead

This is only the second LP from Seattle's sludgy power trio Helms Alee. Their debut album was one of my favorite releases from a band that I hadn't heard before back in 2008 when it came out. With expectations set dangerously high, I anxiously checked this out when it dropped and I was stunned. It might sound cliche to say this about a band that only has two albums out, but holy moley did these guys improve on their songwriting, musicianship, and basically every aspect of their craft since the previous album - and that album itself was stellar! Suffice to say that this isn't your typical stoner / sludge album. These folks have a very distinctive sound - in part because all three of them - two girls and a guy - share vocal duties equally, and in part because they love to bend and twist time signatures, pace, tone, vocal styles and just about every aspect of their music like they're purposely trying to lose the listener in the funnest game of "follow the leader" ever conceived. The thing is, they are so good at keeping the hook in your upper lip, that you're just dragged along helplessly while you simply sit back and enjoy the ride. It's really progressive stuff for a sludge band, but it's a load of fun, and very compelling. This band is terribly under-rated in my opinion, but hopefully this album will help to start changing that.
Old 10-02-2012, 08:20 PM

...and the girls are getting up, so I gotta go. Wifey isn't home from work yet. Just when I was getting on a roll, too.

Here are some fun clues to keep y'all busy...

The next one is the highest-ranking EP on my list. It shouldn't be hard to figure out...

The one after that can best be described as, "what pure rage sounds like".

The next one includes some of the best Bolt Thrower worship since Bolt Thrower themselves.

The one after that is by a death metal band who would be much better if they would only try to be heavy or something.
Old 10-02-2012, 08:47 PM
Buahahahahaha

Weatherhead is an awesome, awesome record. So much fun to listen to. It wasn't all that high on my list, but my love for it grew in the beginning of this year.
10/30 KING DIAMOND
Old 10-02-2012, 09:02 PM
Hagbard Celine, H.M., S.H.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Natrlhi View Post
...and the girls are getting up, so I gotta go. Wifey isn't home from work yet. Just when I was getting on a roll, too.
When I was a young child my loving parents used to keep me awake (by engaging me in rigorous activity) until midnight or later so when I finally did go to sleep, at the same time they did, I wouldn't wake up in the middle of the night and in turn wake them up.

Suffice to say I was probably the only infant in K-Mart at 11:30pm three nights a week.

(Hint, I just proposed a solution to prevent the very problem you're facing right now: force your children to stay awake until you decide to go to bed.)

And you're probably wondering why you're reading parenting advice from a 22-year old. Carry on with the list.
Old 10-03-2012, 08:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by illuminatus917 View Post
When I was a young child my loving parents used to keep me awake (by engaging me in rigorous activity) until midnight or later so when I finally did go to sleep, at the same time they did, I wouldn't wake up in the middle of the night and in turn wake them up.

Suffice to say I was probably the only infant in K-Mart at 11:30pm three nights a week.

(Hint, I just proposed a solution to prevent the very problem you're facing right now: force your children to stay awake until you decide to go to bed.)

And you're probably wondering why you're reading parenting advice from a 22-year old. Carry on with the list.
Well actually, your advice was right on the money, and in fact I was basically already doing what you suggested, with one primary exception. Since they're only two months old, there's not much we can do to keep them awake and active aside from holding them and carrying them around, in which case they still tend to fall asleep. So, I had them in their swings in the living room, and when they woke up, it was time for the last feeding of the day and then off to bed.

What you suggested above is how we do things with our boys, though, in the summer time. The longer they stay up, the more we get to sleep in the morning. That shit doesn't fly when school starts, though. Keeping them awake is like signing our own death warrants in that case, because then the older one (who's in first grade) doesn't want to get up and the morning is pure hell for us. If I had kept them up past 9:00 last night, my wife would have strangled me because she's the one who would have had to deal with them this morning (I leave for work before his bus comes).

Needless to say, they were in bed at 8:50, because I fear my wife's wrath more than Satan himself. >>>

Last edited by Natrlhi; 10-04-2012 at 06:45 PM.
Old 10-03-2012, 09:24 AM
We're dying on the inside

Quote:
Originally Posted by Natrlhi View Post
Ah yes...number 18. Well, I'm a bit confused right now, because I specifically remember writing a mini-review for this, but it must have been deleted somehow, or not posted correctly. I'll look for it tomorrow when I have access to the laptop I was using at the time. Suffice to say it was this little gem:

18. Fucked Up - David Comes to Life

Like I said, I'll try to find the blurb I wrote and post it later. If I can't find it, I'll write a new one.
This album sucks.
Old 10-03-2012, 10:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DethMaiden View Post
This album sucks.
I call bullshit on your bullshit, you bullshitter.