Tankcrimes Brainsqueeze 2 -- Oakland, CA -- April 18th, 2014
Unearth -- Pontiac, MI -- April 17th, 2014
Wayne Static -- Birmingham, AL -- April 17th, 2014

Go Back   WWW.METALSETLISTS.COM > Community Forums > Album Reviews

Old 01-11-2012, 05:29 PM
Buahahahahaha

Quote:
Originally Posted by illuminatus917 View Post
Slap, I think you need to listen to the album again. I feel I know you well enough by now to know what you like and appreciate and whatnot, and I feel pretty confident in saying you'd like this album if you gave it a fair shot, which, if your remarks serve as any indication, you didn't.
Fine I'll listen to it again, even though I already listened to it twice trying to love it as much as possible both times.
Old 01-12-2012, 12:59 AM
Bringer of Darkness

Quote:
Originally Posted by idrinkwine732 View Post
18. Subrosa - No Help For the Mighty Ones
17. Falls of Rauros - The Light that Dwells in the Rotten Wood
16. Elder - Dead Roots Stirring
14. Wolvhammer - The Obsidian Plains
Really great picks man Can't wait to see what else you have in store for us. Your summary of Elder was perfect couldn't agree more.
Old 01-12-2012, 05:54 AM
Metal is proof that Satan loves us and wants us to be happy.

I didn't hear "Falls" or "Elder".

2011 = TOO MUCH AWESOME SHIT
Old 01-12-2012, 06:35 PM
Pursue happiness with diligence

10. The Seven Mile Journey - Notes for the Synthesis

I found The Seven Mile Journey only a little bit of time after I had first seen Godspeed You! Black Emperor and I was really enthralled by the experience, so I really was looking for a band that filled the GY!BE void, as they weren't releasing new music.* I knew I'd found something worth keeping once I heard the screwdriver intro to Departures, which immediately reminded of Moya, my favorite Godspeed song.* The Seven Mile Journey are clearly influenced a ton by GY!BE, and it's seen a lot in their ambient climaxes in songs like The Alter Ego Autopsies.* I'm particularly a fan of the second part in The Alter Ego Autopsies, which I felt was a really big suspenseful piece of the album that indicated to me that this was a top caliber post-rock release.* Definitely my other favorite part of the album is the transcendent and beautiful The Etiology Diaries, which scurries along a lot more in the vein of Mono.* Notes for the Synthesis is a really diverse collection of emotion filled post-rock that serves as the biannual reminder that someone is doing something great with the genre.

9. Disma - Towards the Megalith

Oh boy, I don't think I've heard a death metal album released post-2005 or so that's made me react to it like this.* Concocting a brew based mainly out of Incantation, Towards the Megalith is a massive,heavy and extremely dirty old school death metal album.* With Craig Pillard handeling the vocals as perfectly as his Onward to Golgotha performance, Towards the Megalth really feels like a throwback to the old Incantation days.* Perhaps a little bit too much so, as the main backlash that I heard to this album was its lack of ingenuity and creativeness.* However, borrowing Funebrarum members Shawn Eldridge and Daryl Kahan really packed a punch in the creativity department, with enough new riffs to make it seem refreshing.* But still, Towards the Megalith is a release that should have the death metal purists goozing from the ears with happiness, because the relative lack of activity from Incantation had a bunch of people nervous.* A killer offering from people who we knew were going to kill it.

8.* Yob - Atma

I hadn't really heard the Yob release that really clicked with me before Atma, and after my first listen I wasn't convinced this new slab of stoner metal was it either.* Sure, it was heavy, sure, it had some cool ass vocals, but I just wasn't as floored as everyone else was.* Sometime around October though, I kept moving it up above albums I liked until I realized it was in my top 30 and I thought, wow, this is way to high for it.* But then I listened to it one more time and the hair standing up on my arms as vocalist Mike Scheidt delivered the chorus to Prepare the Ground, I realized I was way too low on it.* As many of their stoner metal colleagues become content with delivering a similar sound throughout an album (hey, sometimes it works, look at Elder), it seemed important to Yob to create a diverse sounding album.* Scheidts vocals sound like an Ozzy Osbourne with a little bit more throat to him, and it makes for a hell of a vocalist to accompany such enormous riffs.* Definitely one of the heaviest and best releases of the year.

7.* Altar of Plagues - Mammal

For all of the "hipster black metal" that I've included on this list, I don't think very much of it has the hateful and furious edge that Altar of Plagues has.* Most of their contemporaries are a lot more serene in their vocal sound and lyrical content, but not Altar of Plagues and definitely not on Mammal.* The production is clean but still underproduced enough to give the snare and toms a standout sound.* Vocalist James Kelly's labored and intense black metal screams and shouts combine well with the riffs that are very unique for the black metal aesthetic, with the chorus in Neptune is Dead being the most notable.* It still has an abundance in the blast beats and riffs that* make black metal what it is, but the changes in ambiance and mood are extremely rare.* The enormously heavy Feather and Bone is perhaps the most straightforward track on the album, and its sound is the most representative of what Altar of Plagues do best.* Of all of the albums that came out in 2011 to add depth to the now bursting black metal scene, Altar of Plagues demonstrated themselves as leader of the new pack with Mammal.

6.* Vektor - Outer Isolation

After having witnessed Vektor's rapid ascent to the top of the nu-thrash pack, I thought that the high anticipation for their third release could doom the young sci fi act in the long run.* They were set up for a lot of disappointment, and to some, that's what they got, but Vektor's latest hunk of space metal contains a lot of what made its predecessor, Black Future, so awesome.* It has the speeding sweeps and the tumbling tremolos that made songs like Hunger for Violence and Black Future so excellent.* Why isn't it higher then?* Black Future is pretty much the best thrash album since forever, what gives?* Well, I think I myself was disappointed slightly in what they had achieved, but that was because I think I overrated this group.* They overachieved with Black Future, writing riffs that were appropriately out of this world, and Outer Isolation doesn't achieve in the same way.* However, it still is a fantastic thrash album in its own right.* David DiSanto's Schmier-esque vocals are still some of the best in modern thrash, and the sci-fi atmosphere in the riffing is still radical.* It's a hard album to analyze, because it was expected to be so much, and it's hard to know if I got it or not.

5.* Moonlit Sailor - Colors in Stereo

It's so hard being a frequent metal listener sometimes because the subject matter that you become accustomed to is so dark and depressing that you need a pace changer that makes you feel fantastic.* I was recommended Moonlit Sailor a few years ago by an awesome forumer and it's been one of the better recs I've ever gotten.* I fell in love with their EP, Footprint of Feelings, which is still one of my favorite post-rock releases and their debut So Close to Life is also excellent, if not a little but underwhelming after Footprint of Feelings.* Their brand of post-rock still has all of the cliched emotion of post-rock but it's so positive sounding upbeat that it's downright infectious.* Their sophomore album, Colors in Stereo is happiness concentrated into a musical sound, and it's a must-have for the often depressed in the world.* After the intro to Kodac Moment, the upbeat feeling is immediately permeating.* If music is all about making an effect on you, then Moonlit Sailor created their best work with Colors in Stereo. *

4. Anaal Nathrakh - Passion

For everything that Moonlit Sailor achieves in happiness, Anaal Nathrakh achieves in fury.* From the first note, this band creates an all out assault, in true grindcore fashion, that does not let up until it's over.* Vocalist Dave Hunt is still an absolute animal on the mic, and he delivered one of his better vocal performances since The Codex Necro on Passion.* Nobody does their job in the same way that he does.* You can hear this man scream like he's being tortured one moment, deliver soaring clean vocals another, and then deliver a haunting death grunt the next.* Mick Kenney's instrumental writing on Passion continues his trend of writing some of the best metal fusion writing in extreme metal history, and he takes a little bit more out of the black metal and grindcore coffers with this release than the industrial ones he's done in the past.* Perhaps the most clutch part of this album is the guest spot from Rainer Landfermann on Tod Huetet Uebel, which is probably one of the scariest tracks that Anaan Nathrakh has recorded.* It's also a special treat, as it's the only track that Anaal Nathrakh has released the lyrics for.* Anaal Nathrakh are the yin to Moonlit Sailor's yang, and made another extreme metal work of perfection with Passion.* They never stop coming with some of extreme metal's best.

3. Mastodon - The Hunter

I'll let the collective groan pass for a moment.* Sure, it's not what a lot of people thought it was going to be when the band outed that it was a lot more of a Leviathan sounding effort, but Mastodon hit it out of the park for the fifth time in a row.* They found a bit of heaviness that was certainly lost on Crack the Skye and faded a little bit on Blood Mountain, and they still are a very progressive bunch.* Some songs like Stargasm are standouts in that they had the Crack the Skye atmosphere and feel, but were a little bit on the tougher side and weren't as dragged down by the progressiveness.* All the Heavy Lifting is another standout track that has a little bit of a Remission feel to it, but then breaks into a very Blood Mountain fitting verse, and really demonstrates Sanders' ability to take over a track with his vocals.* However, my favorite track on the album has to be the album closer, the Sparrow, which is mainly instrumental with the exception of the one lyric "pursue happiness with diligence."* It starts out with a soft acoustic backing to one of Hinds' progressive riffs, that then jumps into a very Pink Floyd sounding song, and it winds its way through heaviness, ambience, and emotion, and I think it's one of the best songs the group has ever done.* The Hunter is an album that won't win a few of the old school Mastodon die hards back, but it's works excellently as an amalgamation of the group's catalog, and stands out as another fantastic album from the consistent four piece.

2.* sleepmakeswaves - ...and so we destroyed everything

One of post-rock's constant struggles as a genre has been to remain memorable in sound to a larger audience, who, frankly, find it very drawn out and unfocused.* Hell, I can't even blame them.* Bands like Mono, Mogwai and 65daysofstatic are all very dense, and difficult to enjoy at first.* For my first two years or so of really getting to know the genre, I began to think it was sort of like metal.* Either you get it or you don't.* However, sleepmakeswaves' debut ...and so we destroyed everything totally changed the way I saw the genre.* Their first EP, In Today Already Walks Tomorrow, was an awesome slab of post-rock, which was as melancholic as the rest, but their debut full length is something else entirely.* The band sat down and focused their songwriting over the course of a few years and made probably my favorite post-rock album since Sigur Rós' Takk or even as far back as the latest Godspeed You! Black Emperor.* This album is the most focused but still lengthy, emotional but still cohesive, atmospheric but still concentrated effort that post rock has seen.* The first track, to you they are birds but to me they are voices in the forest, builds in a manner focused around the playful interaction between the tremolo picking and drumming, dies down a little bit with a xylophone and other percussion, then jumps straight into an enormous climax that plays with a ton of synths.* Probably my favorite track on the album is the title track, which resembles a straightforward rock song after about 3 minutes, is a collection of fun riffs that can bring you back to bands as different as Tortoise to Isis.* If you ask me, I haven't ever heard an album like this before, and I nearly bumped it back up to #1, but I was just too lovestruck by my favorite album of the year to move it down at all.

1.* Cormorant - Dwellings

I went into this year knowing that Cormorant were going to release a new album and it would probably be freaking awesome, and I really didn't want to be that guy who always puts his favorite band's album at #1 every time, but I just had to.* I may deserve a little flak, but I have to say, they did it again.* Metazoa was an enormous accomplishment in metal because it was probably the first synthesis of both metal and non-metal's best qualities that actually worked.* It was the first album that I'd heard that would bring Tom Waits, Darkthrone and The Beatles all under one roof and didn't make me feel seasick.* * Dwellings is an equal accomplishment, in that it showed that Cormorant would be able to have a very distinct change in sound, while still maintaining a massive umbrella of influences.* The First Man is the most black metal track that the band has ever produced, but you still hear all of the blues that come out during the second verse's riffs, right before they steamroll right into a riff that wouldn't be out of place on Sons of Northern Darkness.* But then you jump into another track, Funambulist, most resembling Metazoa's track, Hanging Gardens, which dwells around guitarist Matt Solis' incredible clean vocals that made tracks like Sky Burial perfect.* Vocalist/Bassist Arthur Von Nagel is the best lyricist in metal, creating thought provoking narratives on topics like imperialism, Phillipe Petit and the Guinean revolt in 2009.* You could write about what's incredible on this album till the cows come home.* The beautiful and groundbreaking artwork, the lyrics, the production, the songwriting.* A lot of people cap off their album of the year track by saying there's nothing bad about an album, but in the case of Dwellings, you can't find something that isn't perfect.
Old 01-12-2012, 07:40 PM
Buahahahahaha

Good shit bro.

I disagree with that very last sentence your wrote though.
Old 01-13-2012, 06:02 AM
Pursue happiness with diligence

I mean, it's a hyperbole, but in a lot of ways, I mean it.
Old 01-13-2012, 09:23 PM
N00B

Quote:
Originally Posted by idrinkwine732 View Post

9. Disma - Towards the Megalith

Oh boy, I don't think I've heard a death metal album released post-2005 or so that's made me react to it like this.* Concocting a brew based mainly out of Incantation, Towards the Megalith is a massive,heavy and extremely dirty old school death metal album.* With Craig Pillard handeling the vocals as perfectly as his Onward to Golgotha performance, Towards the Megalth really feels like a throwback to the old Incantation days.* Perhaps a little bit too much so, as the main backlash that I heard to this album was its lack of ingenuity and creativeness.* However, borrowing Funebrarum members Shawn Eldridge and Daryl Kahan really packed a punch in the creativity department, with enough new riffs to make it seem refreshing.* But still, Towards the Megalith is a release that should have the death metal purists goozing from the ears with happiness, because the relative lack of activity from Incantation had a bunch of people nervous.* A killer offering from people who we knew were going to kill it.
Someone else who had this in their top 10!
Old 01-13-2012, 09:37 PM
How you gonna rip it like this, son?!

Quote:
Originally Posted by masterguy49 View Post
Someone else who had this in their top 10!
I did too, such a sick album!
Old 01-13-2012, 09:43 PM
N00B

Quote:
Originally Posted by GarageMetal468 View Post
I did too, such a sick album!
Oh shit, you did! We are some of the few have though, sad, this album deserves way more love
Old 01-13-2012, 09:45 PM
How you gonna rip it like this, son?!

Quote:
Originally Posted by masterguy49 View Post
Oh shit, you did! We are some of the few have though, sad, this album deserves way more love
Hell yeah. Can't wait to see them at MDF too!