Home Set Lists Forums The Permanent Record Asshole Opinion

Samhain -- Los Angeles, CA -- September 19th, 2014
Deafheaven -- Toronto, Ontario -- September 19th, 2014
DragonForce -- Aberdeen, Scotland -- September 18th, 2014
Electric Light Orchestra -- London, England -- September 14th, 2014
Skeletonwitch -- West Springfield, VA -- September 12th, 2014

Go Back   WWW.METALSETLISTS.COM > Community Forums > Album Reviews

Old 12-22-2011, 08:36 PM
The cameras are whores for the daily bloodshed.

Machine Head
Unto The Locust

Another great album by MH. This album is a continuation of what made their previous 2 albums great: An excellent blend of heaviness, speed, technicality, and great, complex song structures. There are some really, really great songs here. I wasn't to sure what to expect after I heard the title track, as it was ok, but nothing spectactular. Then when I checked the album out and heard I Am Hell, I was no longer worried! As I've said before, I think some of their songs border on the pretentious and excessively lengthy side, but hey, that's Machine Head.

11/03-Suffocation, Kataklysm (?)
11/25-Slayer (?)
Old 12-22-2011, 10:08 PM

Trapped Under Ice
Big Kiss Goodnight

It took me a few listens to get into this album. After a few listens, I started to love it. It's definately a little different than their previous releases, but not in a bad way. The first few songs are all great, while the middle is average. Their re-recording of Reality Unfolds is fuckin awesome, my favorite song from the album. On a side note, I was able to see these guys 3x this year, and they are w/o a doubt one of the best hardcore bands I've ever seen live.

11/25-Slayer (?)
Old 12-22-2011, 10:10 PM
Altars of Radness

Quote:
Originally Posted by hellawaits77ny View Post
On a side note, I was able to see these guys 3x this year, and they are w/o a doubt one of the best hardcore bands I've ever seen live.
Three times and you haven't come home with a broken jaw yet???
Old 12-22-2011, 10:12 PM

Deicide
To Hell With God

While I didn't hate Deicide's last record as much as many people did, I certainly wasn't huge fan. Was pretty disappointed, as it was such a far cry from their previous album, The Stench of Redemption. I really "wanted" to like this album, and I do. I love it, actually. I was pleasantly suprised when I heard the first song they streamed, Into The Darkness You Go. When I checked the whole album out, I was even more pleased. Quality tunes throughout, and only 1 or 2 fillers, which is great for Deicide! Really solid production too, makes it even better.

11/25-Slayer (?)
Old 12-22-2011, 10:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by treghet View Post
Three times and you haven't come home with a broken jaw yet???
LOL!!!

Well, twice I filmed them, and the other it was so packed I didn't wanna lose my spot on the balcony. Funny story.........TUI played right before Terror @ NEMHF, to who we did mosh. I actually DID get sucker punched in the jaw by some dick who wasn't even moshing. Hurt to chew for almost a week. Then last month I fucked my knee up (sprained MCL, damaged miniscus) moshing to Cruel Hand, who was opening for Terror. I mosh no more!

11/25-Slayer (?)
Old 12-22-2011, 10:24 PM

All Shall Perish
This Is Where It Ends

These guys are really good. Yeah, they're deathcore, but whatever. I fucking love this album. The opening track, Divine Illusion, is one of the most brutal songs of 2011 IMO. <YOUR GOD CAN'T SAVE YOU..DUNDUNDUNN....jokes here>. There are a couple songs that can be annoying, as they have some wank-ass whiny tech guitars, but those couple don't over shadow the fuck that this album kills all the way through. Awesome solos and rythyms, and their vocalist is pretty solid, has some great range. My only other complaint is the production. Sound quality ain't the best. Overall though, my "most played" album of 2011.

11/25-Slayer (?)
Old 12-22-2011, 10:34 PM
Bitch, shut up and blast beat my meat like a Pete Sandoval with titties.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hellawaits77ny View Post

All Shall Perish
This Is Where It Ends

These guys are really good. Yeah, they're deathcore, but whatever. I fucking love this album. The opening track, Divine Illusion, is one of the most brutal songs of 2011 IMO. <YOUR GOD CAN'T SAVE YOU..DUNDUNDUNN....jokes here>. There are a couple songs that can be annoying, as they have some wank-ass whiny tech guitars, but those couple don't over shadow the fuck that this album kills all the way through. Awesome solos and rythyms, and their vocalist is pretty solid, has some great range. My only other complaint is the production. Sound quality ain't the best. Overall though, my "most played" album of 2011.
Fuck yeah!

1/19- Despise You
1/21- Castle
2/14- Hatebreed
3/16- AILD
Old 12-23-2011, 07:41 PM

5 Worst Albums

Megadeth
TH1RT3EN

First off, I don't think this is a BAD album. However, I am disappointed w/ it, therefore it's on this list. I really liked Endgame, United Abominations and The System Has Failed. This album doesn't come anywhere close to it. Other than Sudden Death and Never Dead, I really don't listen to this album anymore. Most songs don't even classify as metal, and some tunes, like Drugs, Guns, and Money are just straight cheese. Nothing stands out on this album other than the 2 aforementioned tunes, and Megadeth's live performances have been shit as well. Big disappointment.

11/25-Slayer (?)
Old 12-23-2011, 07:47 PM

Trivium
In Waves

I wasn't really sure what to expect from this album. Their last 2 records IMO were great. The Crusade and Shogun were both excellent, yet quite different, albums. That made me uneasy for this one. When I heard the 1-off they did, Shattering The Skies Above, I was excited. I really liked that song. Then the title track streamed, and while I didn't dig it as much as Shattering, I still liked it. I definately had hope for the album, then I checked it all out upon it's release. Don't get me wrong, there are some good songs on this album. The title track, Dusk Dismanted, and 2-3 towards the end are decent. But overall, this album is a huge disappointment to me. Nowhere near as heavy as any of their previous releases, too many whiny vocals, and certain sections on at least 4 songs are such arena rock cheese, I almost threw up.

11/25-Slayer (?)

Last edited by hellawaits77ny; 12-24-2011 at 12:31 AM.
Old 12-23-2011, 07:55 PM

Winds of Plague
Against The World

Most people here hate Winds Of Plague, but I really enjoyed their 1st 2 albums. I actually bought this album, as I was really looking forward to it. Big mistake. Their cheesy ass single, Refined In The Fire, actually made me excited for the release. For whatever reason, I like that song. That's the ONLY highlight of this album. First off, the production is awful. All instruments are blended together, and NOTHING sticks out. Even the keyboards are low in the mix. And didn't this band use to be a little technical? Their first 2 albums (especially Decimate The Weak), had some solid techincal riffs throughout. They are nowhere to be found on this album. So much DUNDUNDUNNNNDADADADUNDUNDUN riffs, they only thing seperating them from simple doo doo deathcore is some lame ass keyboards. On a plus note, I saw WOP twice this year, and they're still a great live band.

11/25-Slayer (?)

Last edited by hellawaits77ny; 12-24-2011 at 12:32 AM.