Thy Art Is Murder -- Sydney, Australia -- December 19th, 2014
Intronaut -- West Hollywood, CA -- December 19th, 2014
Cannabis Corpse -- Chicago, IL -- December 17th, 2014
Kreator -- London, England -- December 18th, 2014

Go Back   WWW.METALSETLISTS.COM > Community Forums > Set Lists and Gig Reports

Old 12-19-2011, 04:56 AM
Altars of Radness

Madball -- Anaheim, CA -- December 16th, 2011

In the late '80s the NYHC scene was thriving, with bands like Agnostic Front, Sick of it All, and Cro-Mags releasing some of the most glorified records in hardcore, however the NYHC scene we know today is much different. Now it has become the centerpiece of a much heavier style of hardcore that is largely inspired by none other than Madball. These days when a band says they take influence from NYHC they usually mean Madball. There's no doubt that they have inspired numerous bands across the states, including some of today's most successful ones, such as Hatebreed and Terror. With that said, I was unbelievably excited to see a legendary band playing at such a small venue.

I showed up early to make sure I would see the opening band, Soul Search. They released a crushing EP this year that takes a lot of elements from, you guessed it, NYHC. While waiting outside I noticed Nick Jett (Terror's drummer) hanging out and talking to people. After a while they opened the doors and I went in. Soul Search took the stage and unleashed fury upon those who were smart enough not to miss their set. They played all of the new EP, a couple songs from their demo, and two new ones. I'm glad I was able to see them; they're definitely one of the best bands in the scene right now.
  1. Stuck
  2. Depth
  3. Bury the Blame
  4. Me & Mine
  5. Burning
  6. Nobody's Nothing
  7. In the End
  8. Reasonable Doubts

Next up was Take Offense, another Southern California band. Going into the show I wasn't familiar with their material, so I don't know what they played, but they were pretty damn good. By the time they started their set more people were inside, and the crowd was pretty into them. Nick Jett did guest vocals on the last song. After seeing their set they may have very well turned me into a fan. I'm definitely going to give their new album a listen.

After Take Offense was Rotting Out. The venue was filling up now and it was clear that a lot of people were there to see them. Having never seen them before I was worried they might not play their old material, since they just released a new album this year. I was wrong. They busted out a lot of songs from This is Just A Life as well as the new ones. Wally had a massive stage presence and there were plenty of stage dives throughout their set. The energy in the room was insane. Seeing them live made me appreciate their new material a lot more and I really want to see them again.
  1. Street Prowl
  2. Suicide King
  3. Redeemer
  4. S.B.T.S.
  5. Iron Jawed Angel
  6. Kobe Bryant Lifestyle
  7. I Want A Disaster
  8. Goddamn
  9. City of Shame
  10. Positive Views
  11. Laugh Now, Die Later

Then it was time for what I really came for. Madball came out and opened with "Can't Stop, Won't Stop" and "Hold it Down". Honestly, I was surprised by the lack of energy by the crowd. For the few songs there were very few stage dives and not much movement up front. It wasn't until "Get Out" that the crowd really exploded and from that point on everybody kept up the intensity. They blazed through their set and soon enough they were on the last few songs. Toby from H2O came out to do guest vocals during "Pride (Times are Changing)". Although they only played for about 40 minutes it was incredible to hear some of my favorite songs live. It wasn't until I got outside that I realized I had lost my voice from screaming along. The only thing I'd change is add a couple more old songs to set. 40 minutes just isn't enough Madball for me. I'm hoping they come back around sometime next year, I will see them every chance I can!
  1. Can't Stop, Won't Stop
  2. Hold it Down
  3. Invigorate
  4. For My Enemies
  5. We the People
  6. Get Out
  7. Heavenhell
  8. Empire
  9. R.A.H.C.
  10. 100%
  11. It's My Life
  12. Smell the Bacon (What's With You?)
  13. Set it Off
  14. Infiltrate the System
  15. Demonstrating My Style
  16. All or Nothing
  17. Look My Way
  18. Nuestra Familia
  19. Hardcore Pride
  20. Pride (Times are Changing)
  21. Hardcore Still Lives!

Last edited by treghet; 12-19-2011 at 05:02 AM.
Old 12-19-2011, 10:15 AM
Kvlt,Grim,Frostbitten,and Grindage

My friend went to this show and broke his arm
1/23-Harm's Way/Disgrace
Old 12-19-2011, 10:29 AM
rolling critical success on casting a level 7 stagedive

Sounds amazing. Madball and Rotting Out are two bands I need to see soon.

And you should have said to Nick, "Hey man... booty smell good, doe."
Old 12-19-2011, 03:19 PM

I figured the opening bands would get way better responses at Chain. I went to Key Club and the crowd was dead and empty for Take Offense and Rotting Out with pretty much no movement whatsoever. Right before Madball came on a lot of people came in the venue and the pit was pretty active for them.

Soul Search is a great band. They're really good friends with my friends in Disapproval. I've mentioned them before on JD's hardcore thread about how they're really good friends with Rotting Out also. The singer of Soul Search used to be in my friend's old band, Offtrack.

Offtrack disbanded for some reason last year and the lead singer formed Soul Search, while the remaining Offtrack members later formed Disapproval with a new singer. If you check out Offtrack's myspace and look at their flyers, you'll notice about half or even more of their shows they are playing with Rotting Out. The original singer and guitarist are still really good friends with my friends in Disapproval. The original singer would often wear Offtrack at their biggest shows to help get Offtrack's name out. Disapproval and Offtrack have also played with Take Offense a few times and are friends with them.

Soul Search is actually going on a weekend tour in January with Disapproval and New Brigade and they're playing LA and Pomona. You should check it out.

Now that I remember I think everyone in Disapproval except their guitarist was at this Madball show. The guitarist of Disapproval happens to be one of my good friends who I talk to often whom I've known since middle school. I think he's coming to my band's practice tonight also. He said he's down to set up a show together with my band and his locally in our area, despite our bands being different genres (his being hardcore punk, mine being melodeath/metalcore).

/coolstorybro
2.17 Machine Head
2.18 Symphony X

Last edited by xStructualDefect; 12-19-2011 at 03:23 PM.
Old 12-19-2011, 09:40 PM
The cameras are whores for the daily bloodshed.

Cool review. Never really got into Madball, but I hear they're great live. Definately look forward to see them open for Biohazard.

12/07: Slipknot/Korn (?)
12/13: Despised Icon (?)
Old 12-19-2011, 09:50 PM
rolling critical success on casting a level 7 stagedive

Quote:
Originally Posted by hellawaits77ny View Post
Cool review. Never really got into Madball, but I hear they're great live. Definately look forward to see them open for Biohazard.
Wha...
Old 12-19-2011, 10:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jd091 View Post
Wha...
I like them, I just never really find myself listening to them.

Old 12-19-2011, 10:41 PM
Altars of Radness

Quote:
I like them, I just never really find myself listening to them.
This song, man. This song. http://youtu.be/WA-ox1qNryI?t=54s
Old 12-19-2011, 10:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by treghet View Post
This song, man. This song. http://youtu.be/WA-ox1qNryI?t=54s
Can't do YouTube at work. What song is it, I'll check it out.

Old 12-19-2011, 10:57 PM
Altars of Radness

Quote:
Originally Posted by elturtleboy View Post
My friend went to this show and broke his arm
That sucks. Stage diving?

Quote:
Originally Posted by xStructualDefect View Post
I figured the opening bands would get way better responses at Chain. I went to Key Club and the crowd was dead and empty for Take Offense and Rotting Out with pretty much no movement whatsoever. Right before Madball came on a lot of people came in the venue and the pit was pretty active for them.
That's weird nobody cared for Rotting Out. They seem to be pretty popular now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by xStructualDefect View Post
Soul Search is a great band. They're really good friends with my friends in Disapproval. I've mentioned them before on JD's hardcore thread about how they're really good friends with Rotting Out also. The singer of Soul Search used to be in my friend's old band, Offtrack.

Soul Search is actually going on a weekend tour in January with Disapproval and New Brigade and they're playing LA and Pomona. You should check it out.
Checked them both out. Good stuff. I like Disapproval a lot more though. I would consider that Pomona show, but Rotting Out, Soul Search, and Minority Unit are playing there a week or two earlier. I might end up going to that one.

Quote:
Can't do YouTube at work. What song is it, I'll check it out.
Set it Off

Tags
madball, rotting out, soul search