Judas Priest -- Vorst, Belgium -- March 16th, 1991

Go Back   WWW.METALSETLISTS.COM > Community Forums > Album Reviews

Old 12-29-2011, 02:24 PM
rolling critical success on casting a level 7 stagedive

Quote:
Originally Posted by mastodon421 View Post
Here is the start of my eagerly-awaited top 10

10.Born Of Osiris-The Discovery

Now this is how deathcore is done. Born Of Osiris are now the best band in the genre, bar none. The growth they had from album to album is astonishing. The Discovery is the most complex, progressive, and technical effort from Born Of Osiris to date. They waste no time impressing the listener with the opening 1-2 punch of "Follow The Signs" and "Singularity". The keyboards are immense, the drumming is much improved, and the guitarwork is outstanding. This album continues to impress throughout with the dazziling guitar playing and unique keyboard arrangments. Jason Richardson might have been the best thing to ever happen to Born Of Osiris. He is one of the best guitarists in all of metal right now ( "Devastate", "Recreate" and "Behold" are all in the top 10 solos I heard this year) and is a huge asset to the band. On top of the instrumental improvment, Ronnie Canizaro's vocals have gotten 1000x better. He enuciates very well now and his highs and lows both sound top-notch now all the time (on the older stuff, they kind of muddled at times). Born Of Osiris has improved so much as a band. The breakdowns have been cut down and the songwriting is much, much better than on past album. It's experimental, catchy, and just plain bad-ass. Without a doubt, the best deathcore album ever made by far.
Standout Tracks
1.Recreate
2.Singularity
3.Automatic Motion
Ugh. This album is beyond mediocre, honestly. BOO's only decent album was The New Reign. I have no idea why people love this one so much.
Old 12-29-2011, 04:10 PM
Not popular in Buffalo

Quote:
Originally Posted by jd091 View Post
Ugh. This album is beyond mediocre, honestly. BOO's only decent album was The New Reign. I have no idea why people love this one so much.
It still shocks me that you don't love this band. Maybe if you stopped listening to garbage like Speaker Of The Dead, you would appreciate deathcore that's actually good (I'm just busting your balls on that one, you know I <3 you.)

http://maitlandsmadness.blogspot.com/
Old 12-29-2011, 04:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mastodon421 View Post
It still shocks me that you don't love this band. Maybe if you stopped listening to garbage like Speaker Of The Dead, you would appreciate deathcore that's actually good (I'm just busting your balls on that one, you know I <3 you.)
Don't get me wrong, their early stuff was solid and they're fun live. This new stuff just tends to put me asleep. I dunno; Sumeriancore tends to bore me more and more nowadays. Too many riffs/breakdowns that are too thought out and end up boring.
Old 12-29-2011, 04:22 PM
That Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by jd091 View Post
Don't get me wrong, their early stuff was solid and they're fun live. This new stuff just tends to put me asleep. I dunno; Sumeriancore tends to bore me more and more nowadays. Too many riffs/breakdowns that are too thought out and end up boring.
Hearing about any band that has "core" in their genre that you don't like confuses and scares me.
Old 12-29-2011, 04:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MPF View Post
Hearing about any band that has "core" in their genre that you don't like confuses and scares me.
Yeah, maybe I should be scared myself.
Old 12-29-2011, 04:46 PM
Buahahahahaha

It sucks it took you 'til your 5th time to get a good Mastodon set. I've only had an issue with them once, but every other time was amazing.
8/30 Whirr
10/30 KING DIAMOND
Old 12-29-2011, 05:22 PM
Not popular in Buffalo

Quote:
Originally Posted by slapguitarer View Post
It sucks it took you 'til your 5th time to get a good Mastodon set. I've only had an issue with them once, but every other time was amazing.
The first two times (Blood Mountain headlining tour and Mayhem Fest 08) were the only times they were bad. They weren't amazing on The Crack The Skye headline tour, but they were good. BlackDiamondSkye they were great and I could tell they were starting to get their together live. Still, their performance last month was flawless and finally matched up to my insane love of their studio stuff.

Old 12-30-2011, 11:51 AM
Not popular in Buffalo

8.Arch Enemy-Khaos Legions

Arch Enemy came roaring back with Khaos Legions. It's been four long years since they released an album of new material and Khaos Legions was well worth the wait. This is a furious, relentless, ass-kicker of an album. It grabs you by the balls and does not let go for it's entire 55-minute duration. Arch Enemy has always been known for the excellent guitarwork from the Arnott brothers, but it's been kicked up another notch for this record. None of their previous material has had this many sick riffs. There is also no shortage of impressive solos The intro to "City Of The Dead" will leave most listeners jaws on the floor. The solos are not only awesome, they are also varied. From the melodic beauty of "Cult Of Chaos" to the thrashy, face-melting solos on "Vengeance Is Mine" and "Cruelty Without Beauty", Arch Enemy keeps every solo fresh and exciting. Angela Gossow once agains mightily impresses on this record. No matter what the speed of the music, her vocals sound perfect. She is such a special vocal talent and proves once again why is she one of the best vocalists in all of extreme metal. This isn't really uncharted territory for an Arch Enemy record, it's just an improved version of their trademark sound. It's faster, It's more melodic, It's catchier, and the riffs and solos are better than ever. Khaos Legions has topped Doomsday Machine as my favorite Arch Enemy record.
Standout Tracks
1.City Of The Dead
2.Cruelty Without Beauty
3.Vegeance Is Mine

7.Skeletonwitch-Forever Abomination

I have always dubbed Skeletonwitch as "80's Metallica with Satan as a vocalist". While this is still true for the most part, Skeletonwitch has embraced a more melodic sound on Forever Abomination. From the acoustic guitar sections on "This Horrifying Force (The Desire To Kill)" to the melodic black/death metal inspired soloing on "Cleaver Of Souls", Skeletonwitch is able to work melodic influences in with their frenzied thrash attack effortlessly. The new-found melody makes Skeletonwitch's sound more refined and varied than ever before which makes for some of the best material Skeletonwitch has ever crafted. While there is still plenty of straight-up thrash on this album, I found myself enjoying the melodic tracks (especially the aforementioned "This Horrifying Force" and "Cleaver Of Souls") more than the fast, raging ones. This new style has given guitarist Nate Garnette even more of a chance to shine. He has been one of the best guitarists in metal for a while, but he really stepped his game up on this record. He lays down great riffs and fret-ripping solos like they are going out of style. His brother, vocalist Chance Garnette, delivers his trademark demonic vocals in top-form. His screams are still amongst the most sinister and bad-ass in all of metal. Forver Abonomination brilliantly blends the classic Skeletonwitch sound with more a melodic sound and it works on every possible level. Just as good, if not better (I'm still not sure) than Beyond The Permafrost.
Standout Tracks
1.Cleaver Of Souls
2.This Horrifying Force (The Desire To Kill)
3.Of Ash and Torment

Old 12-31-2011, 10:06 AM
Not popular in Buffalo

6.Machine Head-Unto The Locust

It was going to be an extremely hard task for Machine Head to live up to The Blackening. It was considered to be their masterpiece by many (myself included) and it brought them back to the forefront of the metal scene. Thankfully, Unto The Locust lives up to the hype and continues Machine Head's streak of making quality albums since their revival on Through The Ashes Of The Empire as a legitmate metal force again. Unto The Locust isn't drastically different from The Blackening, which is a good thing, but it's different enough to make it standout on it's own. There is a lot more experimentation and melodic work on this record. "I Am Hell" and "Darkness Within" are the best examples of the expermentation on this record. "I Am Hell" kick off with a orchestra-esque into then thunders into an expectional, heavy riff and breakneck speed for the rest of the song. It's an epic tracks that instantly became one of my favorite Machine Head songs. "Darkness Within" is a completely different animal. It's a very pretty and emotional ballad that ends with a heavy bang. Machine Head has never done anything like this and it surprisingly works very well. Once again, Phil Demmel's guitarwork is the start of the album. Every solo blew my mind ("This Is The End" might have the best solo of the entire year). He will start a solo with some nice and slow melodic work then throw in a curveball and dazzle the listener with inhuman speed. His style of playing is very unpredictable and always amazing. Unto The Locust might be a tad-less enjoyable than The Blackening, but it's definitely in the same ballpark and is another excellent record from Machine Head.
Standout Tracks
1.I Am Hell (Sonata In C#)
2.Darkness Within
3.This Is The End

5.Mastodon-The Hunter

I am sure some of you will be surprised how low this is considering how much of a Mastodon fanboy I am. I had my fair share of doubts about The Hunter before listening to it. The stupid album cover, song titles, and lead single "Curl Of The Burl" had me worried that this album would be a gigantic letdown. Even though The Hunter contains the absolute worst song by far in their discography ("Creature Lives"), it's still another amazing record from Mastodon. As usual, it sounds nothing like their previous records (which I have absolutely no problem with, it just shows how diverse of a band they are. I have to say this is their strangest and most varied album to date and it will definitely alienate some fans of the band. The Hunter has a little bit of everything that Mastodon has to offer. You have some classic-rock inspired jams ("Dry Bone Valley", "All The Heavy Lifting"), some very heavy stuff that will remind you of early Mastodon ("Blasteroid", "Spectrelight"), and even some really trippy, Pink Floyd-esque stuff ("The Hunter", "Bedazzled Fingernails"). The beauty of The Hunter is how how it's able to capture all of these different styles with a clear vision and (with the exception of "Creature Lives") consistent quality. Even with all the styles explored on this record, there is one thing that remains the same throughout, Mastodon's stunning level of musicianship. The insturmentation is highly complex and extremely precise from every one in the band as always, but the most impressive musical aspect of The Hunter is how the vocals were approached. Troy Sanders and Brent Hinds do a good amount of vocals like they did in the past, but now Brann Dailor joins to them give them 3 vocalists. Sanders, Hinds, and Dailor complement each other very well and give each song a unique vocal flavor. It's not my favorite Mastodon record ever, but it's still some killer stuff. It takes a special band to successfully reinvent themselves this many times. Mastodon continues to put out genre-bending masterpieces and (hopefully) that won't change anytime soon.
Standout Tracks
1.Blasteroid
2.Dry Bone Valley
3.Spectrelight

Old 12-31-2011, 11:07 AM
Buahahahahaha

The Hunter is even lower on my list and I'm quite a fanboy as well. Still and amazing record though.
8/30 Whirr
10/30 KING DIAMOND