Family Values Tour -- Denver, CO -- November 11th, 2001
Judas Priest -- Salt Lake City, UT -- November 12th, 1990

Go Back   WWW.METALSETLISTS.COM > Community Forums > Album Reviews

Old 12-27-2011, 12:37 PM
That Guy

Great list so far!
Old 12-27-2011, 02:25 PM
things are more than just what you see

I've enjoyed reading this list, there's a couple albums I should check out... I like the sound of a couple where you say there are good clean vocals mixed in. Hearing that makes me want to check them out.

9/21: Uproar Festival
Old 12-28-2011, 08:49 AM
Not popular in Buffalo

12.Times Of Grace-The Hymn Of A Broken Man

I have been waiting a long time to hear Jesse Leach do a project again (outside of The Empire Shall Fall, who aren't very good imo). Times Of Grace finally gives him a worthwhile project again. His reteaming with his ex-bandmate Adam D from Killswitch Engage makes for some pretty fucking brilliant material. It's definitely the most melodic stuff either one of them have ever worked on. There is a good number of songs ("Fight For Life", "The Forgotten One", "Live In Love", "Worlds Apart") that are all in the top teir of songs released this year. There is a lot of heartfelt emotion in Leach's lyrics and vocals (both are absoultely amazing). The ballad "The Forgotten One" is especially impressive from a vocal standpoint, it's just Leach and Adam D on acoustic guitar. It sends chills down my spine every time I hear it, one of the finest songs of 2011. Adam D also gets to show his guitar chops more than his work with Killswitch. He is an immensly talented player that can shred with the best of them (the solos on "Strength In Numbers" and "Worlds Apart" are particularally awesome). Those looking for an exact replica of the Alive Or Just Breathing? days of Killswitch are shit out of luck and probably won't dig this, but if you have open mind and are a fan of Leach's vocals, you should check this out. This album made me very curious as to how Killswitch would sound if Leach remained on vocals.
Standout Tracks
1.Fight For Life
2.The Forgotten One
3.Live In Love

11.All Shall Perish-This Is Where It Ends

inb4 deathcore sucks
All Shall Perish are one of the few bands that really, really impress me (spoiler alert: the next album on my list is from another deathcore band I love). They have been steadily improving as a band since The Price Of Existence came out, but This Is Where It Ends is by far the best record of their career so far. Part of this major improvement can be attributed to new guitarist Fransesco Artusato. He is the best guitar player All Shall Perish has ever had and considering how many great guitar players All Shall Perish has had over the years, that is quite the accomplishment. The riffs and solos are outstanding. Artusato also brought a lot to the songwriting department. It's more cohesive, elborate, and experimental than ever before and it really pays off. The album's finest track, closer "In This Life Of Pain", is unlike any other All Shall Perish track and is their absolute best song to date. It starts off with a near-two minute piano intro then leads into the best solos, drum works, and vocals of All Shall Perish's career. Everything has been stepped up on This Is Where It Ends and it's just a fucking killer record, regardless of what genre it is. All Shall Perish is an elite deathcore band that most of the bands in the genre can't even come close to touching.
Standout Tracks
1.In This Life Of Pain
2.Procession Of Ashes
3.Spineless

http://maitlandsmadness.blogspot.com/
Old 12-28-2011, 12:35 PM
Buahahahahaha

Quote:
Originally Posted by mastodon421 View Post
deathcore sucks
I agree
8/30 Whirr
10/30 KING DIAMOND
Old 12-28-2011, 12:56 PM

Yeah I love the new All Shall Perish album. Their best album by far. If I were to make a top list that'd probably make top 5.
2.17 Machine Head
2.18 Symphony X
Old 12-28-2011, 01:34 PM
Rats off to ya

I got the new All Shall Perish and at first I figured they're pretty good for a deathcore band but after listening to it a couple times I started to realize they're only good in comparison to other deathcore bands.
Old 12-28-2011, 02:20 PM
rolling critical success on casting a level 7 stagedive

Nothing compared to The Price of Existence, in my opinion, but still some good stuff.
Old 12-28-2011, 04:26 PM
TiradesOfTruth

Definitely a top 10 release from ASP.
8/9 Boris
8/30 Morbid Saint/Vektor
Old 12-29-2011, 07:47 AM
Not popular in Buffalo

Before I break into my top 10, here my picks for the top 10 best performances I saw this year.

10.Deftones (5/9)
Outstanding headline set for the Deftones. They rocked the sold-out crowd at the House Of Blues. Chino sounded outstanding and the band varied their set with their heavy stuff and slow stuff. "Passenger" with Greg Puicaito was one of the best live songs I've ever seen.

9.Times Of Grace (4/16)
Seeing Jeese Leach perform live was incredible. He was spot-on, maybe even better on the record. Adam D was his usual energetic self. Very powerful and memorable performance. I hope they at least play another show in the area soon, they were amazing.

8.Skeletonwitch (4/16)
Another performance from NEMHF. This was my 2nd time seeing Skeletonwitch (I have now seen them 3 times), but this was for sure my favorite performance I've seen from them. They were so into their performance. Chance especially was having a blast. He was drinking beer and joking with the crowd the entire time and he started air-guitaring next to Nate during the solo to "Within My Blood". Skeletonwitch is always a ton of fun live, but ths time was especially fun.

7.Hatebreed (4/16)
Hatebreed closed out the best concert I've ever been to with their typical, high-energy performance. Jamey Jasta just commands the stage. Every time he performs he gives it 110%. Even at the end of a 13 hour show, Hatebreed still managed to get the crowd amped.

6.Unearth (11/19)
This performance marked the first time I saw Unearth headline and they were completely incredible. This show was in a bar and it was also the closest they were playing to Massachusetts on the tour, so the energy was off-the walls. They absolutely ripped up the small stage with a great setlist of old favorites and new stuff ( the intro to "Arise The War Cry" alone was worth the price of admission"). Unearth was absolutely amazing and I don't think I will ever see this special of a performance from them ever again.

5.The Black Dahlia Murder (8/12)
I was absolutely elated to see Black Dahlia for the first time in 2 years. This was also my first time seeing them headline and as usual, they slayed. Trevor Strnad has never sounded better and the whole band was tight as hell. The setlist was absolutely perfect blending the best tracks from the new album with some rarely played older tracks ("Nocturnal" was especially awesome).

4.The Dillinger Escape Plan (11/21)
Dillinger was nuts both times I saw them this, but their set opening for Mastodon was a little bit better. Greg stage dived, threw the mic into the crowd (and some kid broke it), the band jumped off of everything in sight, and Greg picked up the cymbal stand and swung it around like a towel. Typical Dillinger madness that makes them one of the most enjoyable and fun live acts to see. You will never see a more energetic live band than Dillinger.

3.Megadeth (7/22)
I had been waiting to see Megadeth for a very, very long time and they did not fail to impress me. Dave Mustaine sounded perfect, as did the band. Hearing the solos from "Holy Wars", "Hangar 18" and "Peace Sells" was jaw-dropping. I am sad it took me so long to see Megadeth. This is one of the top performance I have ever seen.

2.Mastodon (11/21)
Mastodon is (clearly) my favorite band of all time, but the first few times I saw them, I was letdown. Their first two times I saw them live they were so fucked up they weren't very good. This marked my 5th time seeing them and they FINALLY played as good as they are on album. It delights me to say that they finally go their shit together live. It only took me 2-3 songs to realize that was a special performance. Troy, Brann, and Brent all sounded amazing. Brent can still scream like a fucking madman and Brann might be tied with Troy for the best vocalist in the band. The setlist was near-perfect, it blended the best cuts off of everyone of their albums. Mastodon is finally a force to be reckoned with live.

1.Between The Buried and Me (4/16)
This might have been the best performance I have ever witnessed. There was just something so insanely magiclal about it. This was the best setlist I have ever seen from them. "Selkies" is the most gorgeous live song ever. There was a kid in front of me crying during the solo. Tommy Rodgers's vocals are almost scary in how good they are. The ending acoustics section of "Fossil Genera" was probably the most impressive clean vocal section I've ever heard. Even for an elite live band like BTBAM, this was a landmark performance.

Honorable Mentions: Revocation (4/16), Born Of Osiris (4/16), Machine Head (7/22), In Flames (7/22), Devin Townsend (7/19), Obscura (7/19), Dropkick Murphys (3/18), The Red Chord (10/30), Dying Fetus (8/12)

Old 12-29-2011, 02:13 PM
Not popular in Buffalo

Here is the start of my eagerly-awaited top 10

10.Born Of Osiris-The Discovery

Now this is how deathcore is done. Born Of Osiris are now the best band in the genre, bar none. The growth they had from album to album is astonishing. The Discovery is the most complex, progressive, and technical effort from Born Of Osiris to date. They waste no time impressing the listener with the opening 1-2 punch of "Follow The Signs" and "Singularity". The keyboards are immense, the drumming is much improved, and the guitarwork is outstanding. This album continues to impress throughout with the dazziling guitar playing and unique keyboard arrangments. Jason Richardson might have been the best thing to ever happen to Born Of Osiris. He is one of the best guitarists in all of metal right now ( "Devastate", "Recreate" and "Behold" are all in the top 10 solos I heard this year) and is a huge asset to the band. On top of the instrumental improvment, Ronnie Canizaro's vocals have gotten 1000x better. He enuciates very well now and his highs and lows both sound top-notch now all the time (on the older stuff, they kind of muddled at times). Born Of Osiris has improved so much as a band. The breakdowns have been cut down and the songwriting is much, much better than on past album. It's experimental, catchy, and just plain bad-ass. Without a doubt, the best deathcore album ever made by far.
Standout Tracks
1.Recreate
2.Singularity
3.Automatic Motion

9.Fleshgod Apocalypse-Agony

Agony is the album that has divided Fleshgod Apocalypse fans. Some fans love the new sound, others have completely shunned it. Personally, I think Agony is completely fucking awesome. The symphonic elements are turned way up on this record. It adds this completely epic, massive sound that Fleshgod hasn't really accomplished previously. Don't get me wrong Oracles and Mafia had the symphonic elements, but they were subtle comparted to full-fledged onslaught on Agony. Each and every song is done on such a grand scale that it makes you feel like you should be going into battle. I honestly think tracks like "The Opression" and "The Betrayal" would fit in perfectly in the battle sequences of any of the Lord Of The Rings movies. All of the other Fleshgod staples are still present even with the beefed-up classical sound. Tommaso Ricardi sounds as evil as ever on vocals, Francesco Paoli breaks the speed of light with his drumming (I'm still convinced he has more than two arms and how he has is this good and has only been playing drums for 3 years is beyond me), and Cristiano Trionfera throws down some tasteful and sick guitar solos. This is a different sound for Fleshgod Apocalypse, but they fucking nailed it and that's why Agony is my favorite record of theirs to date.
Standout Tracks
1.The Opression
2.The Betrayal
3.The Egoism