Black Label Society -- Memphis, TN -- July 27th, 2014
Megadeth -- Milwaukee, WI -- July 19th, 2013
Family Values Tour -- Denver, CO -- November 11th, 2001
Judas Priest -- Salt Lake City, UT -- November 12th, 1990

Go Back   WWW.METALSETLISTS.COM > Community Forums > Album Reviews

Old 12-23-2011, 01:56 PM
Not popular in Buffalo

20.Septic Flesh-The Great Mass

I can't believe this hasn't been on anyone else's list. I actually had never listened to Septic Flesh before this year. I checked them out because they were opening for Children Of Bodom and I had heard a lot of great things about them. The Great Mass instantly made me a fan. It's an immense album. This is symphonic death metal that sounds like the soundtrack to the apocalypse. It's evil yet oddly beautiful. The use of the full symphony enchances the music alot. It's just done on such a grand scale that makes it completely epic in sound. Septic Flesh blends the death metal and symphonic elements seemlessly. A must-listen for all fans of extreme metal.
Standout Tracks
1.Mad Architect
2.The Vampire Of Nazareth
3.Pyramid God

19.Beastie Boys-Hot Sauce Committee Part Two

My intial reaction to Hot Sauce Committee Part Two was "Holy Shit, The Beastie Boys still have it. Currently, that's still exactly how I feel. The Beastie Boys absolutely still have it. It sounds almost exactly like all of their classic albums. All the witty wordplay and balls-out energy that the Beastie Boys are known for is still as present as ever. Even with 25+ years in the game, they still know how to make infectious and fun songs. "Lee Major Come Again", "Too Many Rappers" (which features an excellent verse from fellow rap legend Nas), and "Nonstop Disco Powerpack" are some of their all-time best songs. Rap needs more artists like the Beastie Boys. They never sold out or bought out into any trends. They are complete fucking legends that are still making great rap deep into their career. Easily the best hip-hop album of 2011.
Standout Tracks
1.Lee Majors Come Again
2.Too Many Rappers
3.Nonstop Disco Powerpack

http://maitlandsmadness.blogspot.com/
Old 12-24-2011, 12:36 PM
Not popular in Buffalo

18.August Burns Red-Leveler

August Burns Red has risen to become one of the most popular metalcore bands and for good reason, they are a great band. Their lastest effort Leveler steps their game so much it's not even funny. Everything has improved substantially on this album. The most notable improvement is the songwriting. There is a lot more progressive material on the material. They are a lot more open to experimentation in the past and it works very well for them. "Carpe Diem" sounds like it could be by Between The Buried and Me. "Internal Cannon" features a latin-style guitar interlude, which was a completely fucking awesome surprise. It's not only their most progressive effort to date, it's also their heaviest. At time it's almost melodic-death metal esque, which was another very pleasant surprise. In addition to the stronger songwriting, the vocals have never better. Jake Luhrs has come so far as a vocalist since he joined the band onMessengers. Leveler takes August Burns Red's music in a different and most importantly, better direction.
Standout Tracks
1.Internal Cannon
2.Cutting The Ties
3.Carpe Diem

17.Devin Townsend Project-Deconstruction

Clearly The Devin Townsend Project is about Devin Townsend exploring different styles and making unique albums. Deconstruction is the heaviest and closest to Devin's roots, it's also the best of his material with the Devin Townsend Project. Don't get me wrong, I liked Addicted! and (to a lesser extent) Ki, it was just awesome to see Devin go back to a more metal-driven sound and exploring his twisted genius again. This album is such a fun time to listen to because of how many layers it has. It's heavy, chaotic, progressive, and hilarious. Adding to the greatness of Deconstruction is the slew of fantastic guest artists. Having some of the best vocalists in metal (Tommy Rodgers, Greg Puicato, Joe Duplantier) appear made these great tracks even better. Each guest vocalist is completely different from one another and provide an excellent contrast with Townsend's vocals. Deconstruction is the biggest triumph of Devin's solo career thus far.
Standout Tracks
1.Planet Of The Apes
2.Stand
3.Juular

Old 12-24-2011, 04:14 PM
N00B

Maybe I should listen to Leveler again, because my first reactions were that it was generic and a step down from their previous couple albums.
10/3 Anathema/ Alcest
10/4 Mark Lanegan
11/1 Dax Riggs
11/8 LOG/KSE
12/12 High on Fire
2/22 DT/OG
Old 12-24-2011, 04:24 PM
Not popular in Buffalo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocco44 View Post
Maybe I should listen to Leveler again, because my first reactions were that it was generic and a step down from their previous couple albums.
You definitely should. It's without a doubt their best and most technical album to date.

Old 12-24-2011, 04:35 PM
Humanaut

Quote:
Originally Posted by mastodon421 View Post
19.Beastie Boys-Hot Sauce Committee Part Two

My intial reaction to Hot Sauce Committee Part Two was "Holy Shit, The Beastie Boys still have it. Currently, that's still exactly how I feel. The Beastie Boys absolutely still have it. It sounds almost exactly like all of their classic albums. All the witty wordplay and balls-out energy that the Beastie Boys are known for is still as present as ever. Even with 25+ years in the game, they still know how to make infectious and fun songs. "Lee Major Come Again", "Too Many Rappers" (which features an excellent verse from fellow rap legend Nas), and "Nonstop Disco Powerpack" are some of their all-time best songs. Rap needs more artists like the Beastie Boys. They never sold out or bought out into any trends. They are complete fucking legends that are still making great rap deep into their career. Easily the best hip-hop album of 2011.
Standout Tracks
1.Lee Majors Come Again
2.Too Many Rappers
3.Nonstop Disco Powerpack
I completely forgot this got released this year!!!!!! I'm downloading it now as we speak. Good to hear it wasn't a flop. Not that I expected it to be since it's the fucking Beastie Boys.
Old 12-26-2011, 02:19 PM
Not popular in Buffalo

Let's get the ball rolling on the countdown again...
16.Foo Fighters-Wasting Light

The Foo Fighters return with a fucking vegeance on Wasting Light. This is exactly the kind of the record they needed after the lackluster Echos, Silence, Patience, and Grace. The songs on this record have more of a hard rock-edge to them. Tracks like "Bridge Burning", "Back and Forth", and "White Limo" are full-blown, kick-ass hard rock songs. It's not all about hard rock on this record though. You have your vintage Foo Fighters sounding songs ("Dear Rosemary", "Rope", "Walk"), some alt-rock driven tracks ("Arlandria") and even some blues ("I Should Have Known It"). No matter what style is approached, the Foo Fighters knock it out of the park on this album. Wasting Light is without a doubt the Foo Fighters best since The Colour and The Shape. It injects some much needed life into their sound and puts them back on top of the heap when it comes to modern rock bands.
Standout Tracks
1.Bridge Burning
2.Dear Rosemary
3.White Limo

15.Darkest Hour-The Human Romance

Darkest Hour has been around for quite some time. Over their 15-year career, they haven't really broken out despite being one of the longest tenured metalcore acts. A lot of people began to write them off when guitarist Kris Norris left after Deliver Us (which is my favorite Darkest Hour record). The people that were writing them off need to take a nice, long listen to The Human Romance because it's one of the finest records of their long career. It's the easily the most melodic Darkest Hour record to date. The melodic stuff works really well. The biggest example of that is on album standout "Love As A Weapon". It features an amazing slow riff and is extremely fucking catchy. It's not all about the melodic stuff, Darkest Hour still works their thrash influences in as well. "Your Everyday Disaster" and "Violent By Nature" are under 3-mintue ragers that go straight for your throat and don't let go. The Human Romance blends the heavy and melodic side of Darkest Hour seamlessly. Darkest Hour has been experimentating with their sound from record to record since 2005's Undoing Ruin and it always pays off. That is the mark of a band with ambition and true talent that doesn't get nearly enough credit for their music. The Human Romance shows yet another side of Darkest Hour and yet again, they have a high spot on my year-end list.
Standout Tracks
1.Love As A Weapon
2.The World Engulfed In Flames
3.Violent By Nature

Old 12-26-2011, 02:34 PM
N00B

I hate to sound like a broken record but they aren't metalcore. Solid album for sure, I just think that describing them as metalcore give those who haven't heard them before a wrong idea about their sound.

Still have to check out the new Foo Fighters, it's been getting great reviews.
10/3 Anathema/ Alcest
10/4 Mark Lanegan
11/1 Dax Riggs
11/8 LOG/KSE
12/12 High on Fire
2/22 DT/OG
Old 12-26-2011, 02:49 PM
Not popular in Buffalo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocco44 View Post
I hate to sound like a broken record but they aren't metalcore. Solid album for sure, I just think that describing them as metalcore give those who haven't heard them before a wrong idea about their sound.

Still have to check out the new Foo Fighters, it's been getting great reviews.
I can see where your coming from on that. They do have a heavy melodic death metal influence and they could easily fit under that genre label as well.

Old 12-26-2011, 04:02 PM
7 Holy Paths To Hell And Your Trip Begins...

cool list bro, you have already poste 4-5 albums that make my top 10 list !

Cheers !
PowerMaiden
Old 12-27-2011, 11:57 AM
Not popular in Buffalo

14.Last Chance To Reason-Level 2

If there is any active band that I would dub the next Between The Buried and Me, it would be Last Chance To Reason. These progressive metal juggernauts from Maine are one of the most promising young bands around. Just like Between The Buried and Me, Level 2 is full of unpredictable tempo changes. The shredding guitars and crazy video-game inspired synths smoothly transition to the progressive sections on a whim. The BTBAM comparisions don't end there, Last Chance To Reason also has an amazing vocalist. Mike Lassard has an incredible range. He hits every octave known to man flawlessly. Last Chance To Reason is the top band I discovered in 2011. These guys are the future of progressive metal. I wouldn't be surprised if their next record was a masterpiece.
Standout Tracks
1.Coded To Fail
2.Apotheosis
3.Portal

13.Obscura-Omnivium

I am kicking myself for not checking out Obscura sooner. Thankfully, I finally came to my senses and downloaded Omnivium out of curiousity. What struck me right off the bat is the off-the-charts technicality. From the fret-melting guitar solos, to the thunderous blast beats, to the godlike use of fretless bass, Obscura is just so insanely talented it's scary. Compared to their last record Cosmogenesis, Omnivium is a lot more progressive and ultimately better. The songwriting is a lot stronger and the progressive elements being more in the forefront has given Obscura a more diverse and refined sound. Don't get wrong, Obscura is still heavy as balls, it's just that the progressive elements play a greater role this time around. In the end, I'm so fucking glad that I got off my lazy ass and finally checked out Obscura.
Standout Tracks
1.Septuagint
2.Celestial Spheres
3.Velocity