Ghost -- St. Louis, MO -- April 20, 2014
Godflesh -- San Francisco, CA -- April 20th, 2014
Warrior -- San Marcos, CA -- April 19th, 2014
Impaled -- Oakland, CA -- April 19th, 2014
Tankcrimes Brainsqueeze 2 -- Oakland, CA -- April 18th, 2014

Go Back   WWW.METALSETLISTS.COM > Community Forums > Album Reviews

Old 12-21-2011, 06:45 AM
Not popular in Buffalo

FYI: I'm posting my whole list on Facebook today, so if your friends with me on there and you haven't had bowel movement in a week due to the sheer anticpation, you can look it. If you don't want the surprise spoiled then don't look

I will post my next write-up in the next few hours.
7/22 Converge

http://maitlandsmadness.blogspot.com/
Old 12-21-2011, 10:25 AM
Not popular in Buffalo

28.Havok-Time Is Up

Havok is one of the most refreshing new thrash bands. They might not be my favorite new thrash act, but they sound the most like an old-school thrash band out of all the new thrash bands. These dudes sound like they came out straight out of the late 80's/early 90's. From start to finish, Havok rips your face off with some pretty killer thrash. There is plenty of old-school riffing, frenzied vocals, and blistering solos throughout it's duration. "Covering Fire" is amongst the best songs I have heard in 2011. Every time I hear it I just want to start moshing. Time Is Up is some great thrash that is near-impossible to not headbang to.
Standout Tracks
1.Covering Fire
2.No Amnesty
3.Prepare For Attack

27.Textures-Dualism

Textures is a seasoned band that I really didn't check out until this year. I am disapointed I didn't check them out sooner. They are a great mix of progressive, math, and death metal. The progressive elements shine above the rest. This is album is at it's best when new vocalist Daniel de Jongh is using his clean vocals. His clean are amongst the best in metal currently. They are chilling and beyond impressive ("Reaching Home" is especially powerful). The heavy sections are thrown in very effectively and timed brilliantly. I really need to check out their earlier stuff to see how it compares to Dualism.
Standout Tracks
1.Reaching Home
2.Singularity
3.Arms Of The Sea
7/22 Converge

Old 12-22-2011, 02:01 AM
The cameras are whores for the daily bloodshed.

I like your pick of Havok. Not a big fan of theirs, but they were one of my biggest live suprises this year. Saw them open for Malevolent Creation to some empty ass crowds, yet they still gave their all and turned in some great sets.

03/08-Suffocation (?)
04/04-Kataklysm, Aborted (?)
04/05-Biohazard, Sworn Enemy (?)
Old 12-22-2011, 08:52 AM
Not popular in Buffalo

26.Warbringer-Worlds Torn Asunder

Worlds Torn Asunder isn't anything new for Warbringer, it's just a more foucused and better version of their music. The energy and utter fucking madness of their music is more amped up than ever. The only breaks in the breakneck speed are the melodic bursts on "Echos From The Void" and "Demonic Ecstasy". These sections are short, but serve as a nice break in the action from the fucking chaos of the rest of the record.Worlds Torn Asunder is the most furious, frenzied, and most importantly, best Warbringer record to date.
Standout Tracks
1.Echoes From The Void
2.Enemies Of The State
3.Demonic Ecstasy

25.The Human Abstract-Digital Veil

The Human Abstract regrouped from the disapointing Midhaven in very impressive fashion with Digital Veil. The return of founding guitarist A.J Minette has a lot do with the triumphiant comeback. Digital Veil is full of technical, complex musicianship and great songwriting. The Human Abstract is at their finest during the instrumental sections of their songs. "Complex Terms" and "Faust" especially, feature some of the most impressive guitarwork that I've heard all year. Another step-up is the addition of vocalist Travis Ritcher (who actually left the band a few months ago, which is a damn shame). His screams are a big improvement over former vocalist Nathan Ellis and his cleans are pretty good as well (though they do grating at times). Hopefully The Human Abstract regroups and finds another vocalist. Digital Veil shows just how much potential this band and it would be a shame if this was their last record.
Standout Tracks
1.Complex Terms
2.Faust
3.Holographic Sight
7/22 Converge

Old 12-22-2011, 09:02 AM
We're dying on the inside

Nice incredibly literal cover art, Human Abstract. I l'd ol.
Old 12-22-2011, 09:05 AM
rolling critical success on casting a level 7 stagedive

Quote:
Originally Posted by DethMaiden View Post
Yeah... it's pretty terrible.
Old 12-22-2011, 09:07 AM
Not popular in Buffalo

Quote:
Originally Posted by DethMaiden View Post
It is an awful album cover Might be the worst I've seen all year.
7/22 Converge

Old 12-22-2011, 05:47 PM
Not popular in Buffalo

24.Grieves-Together/Apart

Grieves is one of the finest rappers around today. Like his mentor Slug from Atmosphere, he captures raw emotion in his lyrics and you can hear the pain in his voice. His delivery is completely amazing. What makes Grieves really diverse is his frequnet use of experimentation. He sprinkles tasteful uses of soulful vocals throughout the album. Note to shitty mainstream rappers (**coughcough Drake**) this how you use singing effectively in rapping without sounding like a whiny bitch. His longtime producer Budo's jazz-influenced beats add another layer to Grieves's music to make it even more dynamic. Grieves is one of the most underrated rappers, if not the most underrated rapper in the game right now. His lyrics, beats, flow, and sincerity are all amazing. The dying art of hip-hop needs more rappers like Grieves.
Standout Tracks
1.Prize Fighter
2.Pressure Cracks
3.Sunny Side Of Hell

23.Animals As Leaders-Weightless

Animas As Leaders is my favorite instrumental band. There is just something so magical about Tosin Abasi's guitar playing. Their second album, Weightless, only solidfies their reign on the top of the instrumental metal world. Weightless is not only better than their debut, it blows the fucking doors off of it. The songwriting and flow is SO much better than on the debut. There's an enchanced focus on melody on this record. Tosin really took more time with everything and it pays off big time. The fact that there is a real band playing behind him instead of just a drum machine helps alot as well. It gets rid of the somewhat artifical sound of the first album (so does the production, which is actually very good on this record). Kudos to Animals As Leaders on this record. Tosin is able to blend his mind-blowing solos with some immense and gorgeous melodies (the melodies and harmonies are so much stronger than on the debut). This is Animals As Leaders 2.0.
Standout Tracks
1.Cylindrical Sea
2.An Infinite Regression
3.Weightless
7/22 Converge

Old 12-22-2011, 10:08 PM
N00B

I dig that AAL album quite a bit. Took a while to grow on me but I think I like it more than the debut although that album had more standout songs. I'll still take Scale the Summit and Russian Circles over them for instrumental stuff.
10/3 Anathema/ Alcest
10/4 Mark Lanegan
11/1 Dax Riggs
11/8 LOG/KSE
12/12 High on Fire
2/22 DT/OG
Old 12-23-2011, 07:06 AM
Not popular in Buffalo

22.Red Fang-Murder The Mountains

This is easily the grower album of 2011. When I first heard it in April, I thought it was pretty good, but I wasn't overly impressed. Every time I listened to it, it grew on me more and more. It absolutely skyrocketed up my list after that. This is some god damn good stoner rock/metal. Red Fang drinks the riff juice. There is an assload of amazing riffs on this record that range from more rock-driven ("Wires, "Hank Is Dead") to straight-up heavy, sludge ("Malverde", "Into The Eye"). None of the riffs though are better than the one on the album's finest track "Dirt Wizard". It's the standout riff on album full of standout riffs. This record is also catchy as all hell. You wouldn't expect sludgey stoner rock to be catchy, but this album has so many hooks that get stuck in your head. Murder The Mountains absolutely eviscerates their debut and is probably one of the biggest grower albums I have ever heard.
Standout Tracks
1.Dirt Wizard
2.Malverde
3.Into The Eye

21.Landmine Marathon-Gallows

Landmine Marathon is back with another new record in 2011. Gallows is just as monsterous as last year's Soverign Descent, if not more so (Although Gallows is lower on my list this year than Soverign Descent was last year because of the insane quality of music in 2011.) As usual, Landmine Marathon just rips your fucking face with how heavy they are. In such a short time (around 30 minutes), they are abole to capture the brutality of a record that's twice as long. Grace Perry is such an evil and savage vocalist. She has never sounded better or more demonic than on this record. This is one of the most underappreciated active extreme metal acts and I hope someday they will get the praise and recognition they deserve.
Standout Tracks
1.Three Snake Leaves
2.Beaten and Left Blind
3.Cloaked In Red
7/22 Converge