Wayne Static -- Birmingham, AL -- April 17th, 2014
Ghost -- Toronto, Ontario -- April 17th, 2014
Rainbow Bar & Grill 42nd Anniversary -- West Hollywood, CA -- April 13th, 2014

Go Back   WWW.METALSETLISTS.COM > Community Forums > Album Reviews

Old 12-17-2011, 09:38 AM
rolling critical success on casting a level 7 stagedive

Quote:
Originally Posted by xStructualDefect View Post
You thought Suicide Silence's new album was that bad? Besides 2 mediocre/bad songs (You Only Live Once and Fuck Everything), I thought it was a solid album. They've progressed a lot as musicians. I agree with you that new Winds of Plague is pretty bad though.
Quote:
Originally Posted by dcmetal108 View Post
I liked the new WOP alot actually. I feel though as if its almost slower though than previous albums by them.
Yeah, I actually really enjoyed the new Winds of Plague after listening to it a ton. I approach it as a pseudo-hardcore album rather than a metal album, actually. Most of it is mid-paced breakdowns, a pretty big departure from their earlier deathcore stuff.
Old 12-17-2011, 02:17 PM
Not popular in Buffalo

40.Scale The Summit-The Collective

Scale The Summit is one of the finest instrumental bands around right now. They have an immense amount of talent and they are able to create some interesting landscapes with their music. The Collective has a much darker vibe than their previous records. It's slower, eerier, heavier, and bleaker than any of their prior work. A radical change in tone from the first two albums, but it's just as effective.
Standout Tracks
1.Gallows
2.The Levitated
3.Origin Of Species

39.Amon Amarth-Surtur Rising

Amon Amarth may be one of the most consistent bands in metal, but Surtur Rising is their weakest effort since Fate Of Norns. That being said, it's still pretty fucking great. There is still plenty of sick riffs, Johann Hegg's pitch-perfect vocals, and catchy, melodic sections. "Tock Taunt-Loke's Treachery Part II" is actually one of my favorite Amon Amarth songs ever. Sadly nothing else is on that level, but tracks like "A Beast Am I" and "Destroyer Of The Universe" kick a whole lot of ass. It's no With Oden On Our Side or Twilight Of The Thundergod, but Surtur Rising is still solid melodic death metal.
Standout Tracks
1.Tock Taunt-Loke's Treachery Part II
2.A Beast Am I
3.Destroyer Of The Universe
7/22 Converge

http://maitlandsmadness.blogspot.com/
Old 12-17-2011, 02:26 PM
Look at me now, using torches of fire, look higher than anyone else, I am the great juggler!

No Black Hills?
Old 12-17-2011, 05:10 PM
Not popular in Buffalo

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnataFan4Life View Post
No Black Hills?
It's my 4th favorite song on the record. Still great though.
7/22 Converge

Old 12-17-2011, 06:53 PM
N00B

That Scale The Summit record is criminally underrated. It's top 10 for me but still glad it made someone's list.
10/3 Anathema/ Alcest
10/4 Mark Lanegan
11/1 Dax Riggs
11/8 LOG/KSE
12/12 High on Fire
2/22 DT/OG
Old 12-18-2011, 08:39 AM
Not popular in Buffalo

38.Evan Brewer-Alone

Evan Brewer has to be one of the best bass players I've ever heard. You would not expect a strictly bass album to be this good. Brewer's ability is awe-inspiring. Throughout much of the album he is playing two basses at once which is nothing short of amazing. Aside from being an excellent bass player, he is also a talented songwriter. He keeps the album fresh throughout it's 32-minute duration. His style ranges from frantic slap-bass to jazz-fusion stuff. Brewer is an incredible talent and Alone shows that. I can't wait to hear what he is going to bring to The Faceless.
Standout Tracks
1.Actualize
2.Currency
3.Degenerate

37.Uneven Structure-Februus

France's Uneven Structure is one of my top discoveries of 2011. For those who don't know of them (I have never heard anyone on here mention them before), they are essentialy a more ambient version of a band like Textures or TesseracT. Februus is their debut album and I wouldn't be surprised if they blew up from it eventually. They have some really heavy sections mixed with some gorgeous melodies and haunting ambient sections. The vocalist, Mattheiu Romarin, is spectacular. He mixes really powerful clean vocals with a fericous scream. People will toss around the "djent" term when it comes to this band which really pisses me off because people will right them off because of that. Anyways, this is some pretty fucking strong progressive metal and I am excited for what these guys will do on their second album. A band to watch out for in the next couple of years. (MPF check these guys out ASAP if you haven't already, I have a feeling you would fucking love them).
Standout Tracks
1.Frost
2.Awaken
3.Buds
7/22 Converge

Old 12-18-2011, 09:04 AM
rolling critical success on casting a level 7 stagedive

I'll have to check out Uneven Structures. They sound right up my alley. I also really couldn't get into Evan Brewer at all; pretty boring to me.
Old 12-18-2011, 06:17 PM
Not popular in Buffalo

36.Ulcerate-The Destroyers Of All

Ulcerate is one of the most unconventional death metal bands around. They have a huge atmospheric/sludgey doom aspect in their sound which really sets them apart from pretty much every band in the genre. The Destroyers Of All is a dark, crushing record that manages to set a haunting atmosphere that will strike you upon each listen.
Standout Tracks
1.Dead Oceans
2.The Hollow Idols
3.Cold Becoming

35.Thomas Giles-Pulse

Pulse is a fascinating, varied solo record from Between The Buried and Me frontman Tommy Rodgers. It tackles pretty much every genre in the book from ambient to electronic to country to metal. It's a record with a shitload of twists and turns, but most of all it's a showcase for Tommy's wide range of influences. It's cool to see Tommy do a record on his own from BTBAM and I would definitely like to see him do more solo stuff in the future.
Standout Tracks
1.Hamilton Anxiety Scale
2.Medic
3.Reverb Island
7/22 Converge

Old 12-18-2011, 07:27 PM
Headbanger

cool list so far
6/29 - Primus
8/4 - Soundgarden & NIN
9/27 - Clutch & Janes Addiction
Old 12-18-2011, 09:13 PM
The cameras are whores for the daily bloodshed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcmetal108 View Post
I liked the new WOP alot actually. I feel though as if its almost slower though than previous albums by them.
I just can't get into WOP's new album. I like Refined In The Fire, that's about it. It has grown on me A LITTLE, but I still consider it their worst. 'TGSW' really grew on me, so I figure 'ATW' would, but it hasn't.

03/08-Suffocation (?)
04/04-Kataklysm, Aborted (?)
04/05-Biohazard, Sworn Enemy (?)