Judas Priest -- Salt Lake City, UT -- November 12th, 1990
Korn -- Denver, CO -- July 29th, 2002
Queen + Adam Lambert - Toronto, ON - July 28th, 2014
Warped Tour -- Auburn Hills, MI -- July 18th, 2014

Go Back   WWW.METALSETLISTS.COM > Community Forums > Album Reviews

Old 12-14-2011, 05:43 AM
Not popular in Buffalo

48.TesseracT-One

I have warmed up alot to this record since the first time I heard it. The vocals are pretty interesting and there is some intricate and interesting guitarwork in places. Hell, there are moments of complete greatness on this album. Even though I like the album more now, I still have one complaint, this band isn't really living up to their potential. There a lot of moments of great bulid-up with a dissapointing payoff. That being said, I am very excited for what that band has in store for the future. Their live show was very good when I saw them open for BTBAM and I actually like Elliot Coleman's vocals more than Dan Tompkins's (I know I am in the extreme minority on that one). This is their first full-length album, so they have ample time to learn from their weaknesses and progress as a band (which I think will happen come the writing process for the next TesseracT album) is a band I will keeping a very close eye in the next few years and I hope their next album is as good as I am expecting it to be.
Standout Tracks
1.Concealing Fate Part Two-Deception
2.Concealing Fate Part Six-Origin
3.Concealing Fate Part Three-The Impossible

47.Megadeth-TH1RT3N

Although it's clearly rushed, it's still pretty good (Even if the best song, "Black Swan", was recorded five years ago). It shows how special of a band Megadeth when throw a record together in no time at all and it's still a solid release. It lacks the fire and songwriting of Endgame, but this is still another respectable release from Mustaine and Co.
Standout Tracks
1.Black Swan
2.Sudden Death
3.Fast Lane

http://maitlandsmadness.blogspot.com/
Old 12-14-2011, 09:02 AM
MetalSetLists's Smartest Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by mastodon421 View Post
47.Megadeth-TH1RT3N

Although it's clearly rushed, it's still pretty good (Even if the best song, "Black Swan", was recorded five years ago). It shows how special of a band Megadeth when throw a record together in no time at all and it's still a solid release. It lacks the fire and songwriting of Endgame, but this is still another respectable release from Mustaine and Co.
Standout Tracks
1.Black Swan
2.Sudden Death
3.Fast Lane
I didn't like this album at all. BIG step down from Endgame.
Old 12-14-2011, 09:09 AM
Meanwhile, behind the facade of this innocent looking bookstore...

Quote:
Originally Posted by imanidiot777 View Post
I didn't like this album at all. BIG step down from Endgame.
Didn't think this was possible.

30/7 King Diamond
1-2/8 BiesenRock Festival
3/8 Lokerse Festival
16/9 Richie Kotzen
Old 12-14-2011, 12:21 PM
Not popular in Buffalo

46.The Black Keys-El Camino

I wasn't a Black Keys fan for a long time. I listened to their last record Brothers earlier this year and it didn't really click with me. I saw them on Saturday Night Live a couple of weeks ago and they were awesome. I went and downloaded El Camino afterwards and their music finally clicked with me. This is some pretty rocking blues rock. It reminds me of a more blues-driven version of The White Stripes. There are plenty of catchy tracks and riffs in the same vein as The White Stripes (adding to the White Stripes similarites is the fact they are also a duo ). El Camino finally made me a Black Keys fan and I plan on revisting their discography soon.
Standout Tracks
1.Lonely Boy
2.Little Black Submarines
3.Dead and Gone

45.Chimaira-The Age of Hell

The Age Of Hell is Chimaira's redemption album after their mediocre last effort The Infection. It brings back their groove/riff-oriented sound (as well the tasteful use of clean vocals which has been absent for a while) which they are far better than the experimental and boring sound on The Infection. What makes this album pretty impressive is that was almost entirely written and recorded by Mark Hunter and Rob Arnold. They were defintely dedicated to making this album, even with the lack of a full band. It's not quite up to the level of their first few records, but it's a welcome return to form for Chimaira.
Standout Tracks
1.Losing My Mind
2.Time Is Running Out
3.Clockwork

Old 12-14-2011, 12:30 PM
SADISTIC, MAGICIAN

I had the opposite effect with Chimaira, that record made me stop caring about them almost entirely..! I wanted to like it, I really did, but it really felt like Chimaira's time was up.. That Black Keys record is pretty good though!
Old 12-14-2011, 12:33 PM
Rats off to ya

Quote:
Originally Posted by ravenheart View Post
Didn't think this was possible.
It's very possible cause Endgame was the best Megadeth album since Countdown and your complaint about the songs being incoherent rants only applies to one song.
Old 12-14-2011, 05:47 PM
HEY! LISTEN!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BloodoftheKings View Post
It's very possible cause Endgame was the best Megadeth album since Countdown and your complaint about the songs being incoherent rants only applies to one song.
I concur.
Old 12-15-2011, 08:22 AM
Not popular in Buffalo

Quote:
Originally Posted by BloodoftheKings View Post
+1

Old 12-15-2011, 08:44 AM
Not popular in Buffalo

44.Dropkick Murphys-Going Out In Style

Boston's finest celtic punk band returned with ther first full-length in four years this year. As usual, this is a combination of some catchy, frantic celtic punk that will get stuck in your head and make you want to have a good time and some well-written ballads to balance out the record. Like BloodOfTheKings stated in his write-up, I really couldn't tell this was a concept album. But there are some cool stories in the lyrics ("Sunday Hardcore Matinee" especially where they tell stories about their glory days seeing 80's hardcore punk bands like Bad Brains and Agnostic Front). Another fine effort from the Dropkicks and I'm beyond excited to see them live again in March (there is nothing like seeing them in Boston, it's fucking incredible).
Standout Tracks
1.Going Out In Style
2.Sunday Hardcore Matinee
3.Peg O' My Heart

43.Hate Eternal-Phoenix Amongst The Ashes

I had lost interest in Hate Eternal for a while after seeing them live and being incredibly bored. This album brought me back in though. It's heavy as fuck. It's evident that Erik Rutan and co. wanted to massacre the listeners right off the bat with the unholy opening trio of "The Eternal Ruler", "Thorns Of Acacia" and "Haunting Abound". The album does take a bit of a dip in quality in the middle, but makes up for it with the last few tracks. Rutan shreds on this entire record and rips out some of his most impressive solos to date. I would of have enjoyed this record more if I didn't hear so much "OMG, IT'S A FUCKING MASTERPIECE" talk about this record (it's not even close to a masterpiece, all the masterpiece talk makes this one of the most overrated records of the year imo). That being said, this is still an impressive record that made me want to listen to Hate Eternal again (still don't plan on seeing them live again anytime soon though).
Standout Tracks
1.Thorns Of Acacia
2.Haunting Abound
3.The Fire Of Resurrection

Old 12-15-2011, 09:06 AM
We're dying on the inside

I hated the Dropkicks album. Waaaaaaay too many ballads and weepy funeral songs. Just rip my head off and stuff Guinness down my neck-hole, you schmucks.