Ghost -- Lawrence, KS -- April 22nd, 2014
Alter Bridge -- Atlanta, GA -- April 19th, 2014
Megadeth -- Las Vegas, NV -- April 17th, 2014
Gotthard -- Zürich, Switzerland -- April 11th, 2014

Go Back   WWW.METALSETLISTS.COM > Community Forums > Album Reviews

Old 12-31-2011, 05:05 PM
Not popular in Buffalo

4.Unearth-Darkness In The Light

Let me start by saying that this is the most underrated record of 2011 imo. Completely overlooked by everyone (including big Unearth fans) and it's a god damn shame. Darkness In The Light is the ultimate Unearth record. It takes the best parts of the past three Unearth records and throws them all together. It has melodic undertones and clean vocals of The Oncoming Storm, the agression of III: In The Eyes Of Fire, and the excellent solos of The March. Of course, Unearth's classic breakdowns that have the unmatched ability to not get reduant and never feel forced in their music. "Eyes Of Black" deserves some kind of breakdown medal. It hits so fucking hard and is a contender for the best breakdown of their career. All of the shitty, breakdown-whoring deathcore bands (**coughcough Oceano, Chelsea Grin) should pay Unearth a lot of money for raping the artform that they have mastered. It's clearly not all about breakdowns with Unearth. More importantly, they have a plethora of catchy riffs and fret-ripping solos. "Arise The War Cry" has the best solo of Buz McGrath's career and it leaves me in awe every time I hear it (it's even more impressive in a live setting). Trevor Phipps also gives the strongest vocal performance of his career (A lot of people can't stand his vocals, but I really like them and find them to be very unique). It was also cool to hear Justin Foley play drums on a non-Killswitch Engage record. He does a damn good job and plays some faster and more intricate drum patterns that he doesn't get to play with Killswitch. Darkness In The Light is Unearth at their absolute best. A fucking monster of a record.
Standout Tracks
1.Arise The War Cry
2.Eyes Of Black
3.Coming Of The Dark

3.Protest The Hero-Scurrilous

Before listening to Scurrilous, I didn't think Protest The Hero was going to be able to top Fortress. Let's just say I was dead fucking wrong. From the second the infectious, catchy masterpiece of a song "C'est La Vie" kicked in I knew Scurrilous was not only better than Fortress, it kicked the living shit out of it. The entire albums demands multiple listens immediately. Protest The Hero has always had excellent muscianship, but their music has never been catchier or more mature than is on Scurrilous. A big reason for this is Rody Walker taking over the lyric duty. The songs are now much more personal and the lyrics are nothing short of amazing on this record. Dealing with everything from cancer ("Tandem") to alcoholism ("Tapestry") to record executives ("Dunsel"), Walker's lyrics are always thought-provoking, clever, and filled with emotion. Just as impressive as the lyrics, is the energy in which these songs are delivered at. Every song is filled to the brim with 110% energy, but it peaks during the scat screaming sections of "Tapestry" and the tongue-in-cheek satire of album closer "Sex Tapes". Scurrilous shows major signs of growth for Protest The Hero. It has all the techinical precision of their earlier records with much better lyrics and an enhanced focus on hooks. Nothing short of brilliant.
Standout Tracks
1.C'est La Vie
2.Tapestry
3.Termites
7/22 Converge

http://maitlandsmadness.blogspot.com/
Old 12-31-2011, 05:49 PM
rolling critical success on casting a level 7 stagedive

Agree on Unearth; it's amazing. The more I listened to it, the more I loved it.
Old 12-31-2011, 06:47 PM
Buahahahahaha

One of the few lists that'll have Scurrilous, so I'm proud. It's an amazing album.
Old 01-01-2012, 10:01 AM
Not popular in Buffalo

I will be posting my final 2 in a bit. Before that, here some other for the year.

Riff Of The Year
Mastodon "Blasteroid"

Top 5 albums that I didn't get the chance to check out, but plan to in the near future.
1.Russian Circles-Empros
2.Black Cobra-Interval
3.Fit For An Autopsy-The Process Of Human Extermination
4.Diamond Plate-Generation Why?
5.Sylosis-Edge Of The Earth

Most Underrated Records Of The Year
1.Unearth-Darkness In The Light
2.Times Of Grace-The Hymn Of A Broken Man
3.Darkest Hour-The Human Romance

Most Overrated Records Of The Year
1.Hate Eternal-Phoenix Amongst The Ashes
2.Vader-Welcome To The Morbid Reich

I like both of these records, it's just that I didn't find them to be nearly as good as most people made them out to be.

Biggest Letdowns
1.Morbid Angel-Illuid Divinium Insanus (no shit Sherlock)
2.Rise Against-Endgame
3.Lazarus A.D-Black Rivers Flow

Top 5 Shows I regret not going to in 2011:
1.Queens Of The Stone Age (March 26th, House Of Blues)
2.Atmosphere (April 23rd, House Of Blues)
3.Converge (May 22nd, Middle East)
4.Protest The Hero/TesseracT (May 1st, The Palladium)
5.The Red Chord/Gaza (March 9th, Great Scott)

Top 5 Bands I Started Listening To/Discovered In 2011:
1.Obscura
2.Last Chance To Reason
3.Red Fang
4.Textures
5.Havok
7/22 Converge

Old 01-01-2012, 02:21 PM
Not popular in Buffalo

Here is the top 2. Thanks to everyone that read/comment on this

2.Revocation-Chaos Of Forms

Revocation has exploded over the past couple of years and rightfully so, they are one of the most refreshing, talented, and just plain best metal bands to emerge in the past decade. Chaos Of Forms is the next level for Revocation. It takes their death/thrash sound and adds a plethora of twists, turns and surprises. Things like the horn section on "The Watchers" and the prominent acoustic guitar sections on "Conjuring The Cataclysm" are something you wouldn't have come to previously expect from Revocation. Revocation doesn't even come close to abandoning their death/thrash sound, if anything they made it more intense. David Davidson outdoes himself with the guitarwork on this record. There's a reason he won the best metal guitarist from Metal Sucks, he completely fucking shreds. The solos on this album are nothing short of awe-inspiring, The standouts being "Chaos Of Forms" and "Beloved Horrifier". If you are a fan of thrash or death metal in any capacity, listen to this band and listen to this record.
Standout Tracks
1.Chaos Of Forms
2.Beloved Horrifier
3.Harlot

1.The Black Dahlia Murder-Ritual

I know this is a complete shocker, but Ritual is my favorite album of the year. No album this year made a bigger lasting impression (and there were a lot of records that made a lasting impression) than Ritual. Plain and simple, Ritual blew my mind. I have loved all of Black Dahlia Murder's records (they are one of my favorite bands and the reason I got into death metal), but none of their previous albums even hold a candle to Ritual. This is the heaviest, fastest, most melodic, technical, and most mature record to date. It was evident from the first few seconds of "A Shrine To Madness" that this record was going to be a masterpiece. The subtle string arrangements at the beginning lead into the first of many killer riffs from guitarist Ryan Knight. Knight is a big reason that Ritual is so special. He had a major part in the songwriting and he brought a lot in that department. This album has so many layers and so many things that The Black Dahlia Murder has never done before yet maintains the classic Black Dahlia Murder sound. On top of Knight's songwriting contribution, he also throws down a shitload of amazing solos. He is one of the finest guitar players in metal and his addition to The Black Dahlia Murder lineup in 2009 was the best thing to ever happen to the band. Vocally, Trevor Strnad sounds more evil than ever and gives his best vocal performance. Shannon Lucas also steps up his game up. He always has been amazing drummer, but his work on Ritual is so impressive that it sounds like a completely different drummer. Ritual is a special album. Some bands at this point in their career get lazy, but not The Black Dahlia Murder, they are only getting better. Every song is amazing, which makes it virtually impossible to pick a favorite song from. These guys are modern death metal legends. One of those once in a generation bands that takes an entire sub-genre by storm. Ritual is an instant classic that will be forever embedded in my brain.
Standout Tracks
1.Carbonized In Cruciform
2.Blood In The Ink
3.A Shrine To Madness
The rest of the album too
7/22 Converge

Old 01-01-2012, 08:42 PM
The cameras are whores for the daily bloodshed.

Shit, I never checked out all of Unearth's new album. I was kinda "eh" about the 2 songs I heard, so was never in a rush to listen to the whole thing. Based on some reviews I've read, especially this one, I will check it all out.

03/08-Suffocation (?)
04/04-Kataklysm, Aborted (?)
04/05-Biohazard, Sworn Enemy (?)
Old 01-06-2012, 12:30 PM

Just realized you finished your list. Very solid top 10, well top 15 actually. My top 10 would look very similar to yours, probably in a different order though.
2.17 Machine Head
2.18 Symphony X
Old 01-06-2012, 01:01 PM
Not popular in Buffalo

Quote:
Originally Posted by xStructualDefect View Post
Just realized you finished your list. Very solid top 10, well top 15 actually. My top 10 would look very similar to yours, probably in a different order though.
Thanks man
7/22 Converge