Home Set Lists Forums The Permanent Record Asshole Opinion

Skid Row -- Toronto, Ontario -- August 20th, 2014
The Quireboys -- West Hollywood, CA -- August 6th, 2014
High on Fire -- Los Angeles, CA -- August 19th, 2014
Nothing More -- Baltimore, MD -- August 18th, 2014
Boris -- Vancouver, British Columbia -- August 17th, 2014

Old 12-14-2011, 01:37 AM
Homebrewing Metalhead

As for CD vs MP3, difference isn't non existant if you have a good sound system. Most people don't.

I sold high end audio for a living and there is a huge difference. I didn't like to ever use my ipod for demoing even if it was a uncompressed file. In fact if I could get the track on Vinyl that was the preferred. But a good quality cd player and a killer amp and speakers does the trick.

As for the EP, its pretty damn solid. Nothing bad, nothing amazing though. My favorite Death Magnetic song (both EP and the normal release) is still All Nightmare Long.

I love the galloping opening riff for Just A Bullet Away and just the riffing in that song in general. This is probably my favorite of the 4 songs, but it also gets disjointed in spots, I can also sorta see why it didn't make the cut despite some great parts, the sum wasn't quite up to snuff. It was sorta reminiscent of a Dream Theater song, oddly progressive with a wierd breakdown halfway through that was just jarring, but the song ends up being the better for it cause the way the heavier riffs get worked back in really worked.

Hate Train had some nice solo work that wasn't oversaturated with wah. Otherwise it was solid but unremarkable.

Hell and Back sorta reminded me of Cyanide for some reason, but not as catchy. The song gets pretty awesome about halfway through.

Rebel of Babylon is a bit overlong, the opening riff is kinda interesting and this one reminds me of My Apocalypse with the super heavy riffing during the verse. The chorus is a bit generic but the bridge riff and vocals is rather neat. Interesting solo, not sure if I liked it or not honestly but it got my attention. Interesting major key riff following the first solo that disappears very quickly but its wierd to hear that in a metallica song. Bass solo in this song which is also unusual to hear.

So all in all Rebel and Bullet are the only ones on the EP that I would say that you would include in an album IF you had room. Still this isn't bad material. Certainly better than 90% of the stuff they did between Black Album and Death Magnetic.

We miss you Ronnie...
Old 12-14-2011, 02:07 AM
Hell Bent for Liquor

Quote:
Originally Posted by darkguardian50 View Post
As for CD vs MP3, difference isn't non existant if you have a good sound system. Most people don't.

I sold high end audio for a living and there is a huge difference. I didn't like to ever use my ipod for demoing even if it was a uncompressed file. In fact if I could get the track on Vinyl that was the preferred. But a good quality cd player and a killer amp and speakers does the trick.
I can't comprehend the motive behind this statement unless you're just straight-up schilling turntables. Given the fact that you were a salesman, however, I know the bullshitting comes naturally I'm currently staying at a friend's house, and my friend happens to have a state-of-the-art sound system. My purchased audio files on my ipod sound fucking flawless and absolutely amazing on his rig.

Also, despite the fact that people love vinyl for the nostalgia behind it, vinyl quality doesn't stand a chance against CD quality. There's a fifty-year technology gap there, for one thing.
01.27 Dark Tranquillity
Old 12-14-2011, 02:22 AM
Meanwhile, behind the facade of this innocent looking bookstore...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Epidemic Reign View Post
Also, despite the fact that people love vinyl for the nostalgia behind it, vinyl quality doesn't stand a chance against CD quality. There's a fifty-year technology gap there, for one thing.
It's not the quality people prefer so much as the way vinyl sounds. It's a warmer sound.

7/9 Pentagram
16/9 Richie Kotzen
19/9 Kamchatka
Old 12-14-2011, 02:29 AM
Hell Bent for Liquor

Quote:
Originally Posted by ravenheart View Post
It's not the quality people prefer so much as the way vinyl sounds. It's a warmer sound.
To be honest, I've never taken temperature into consideration when judging audio But please, elaborate if you will...
01.27 Dark Tranquillity
Old 12-14-2011, 05:48 AM
welp

Quote:
Originally Posted by hellawaits77ny View Post
This. They are the rough mixes. Not mixed, from March 2008. Quality is still pretty good.
I think it sounds better than the actual album.

Anyway, I absofuckinglutely loved the EP. I am a Metallica fanboy, but the songs are really solid and better than some of the tracks that ended up on on DM, IMO. "Hate Train" is all pretty killer. "Bullet" is awesome, though the mid-section is totally random. "Hell and Back" is excellent. Very catchy song. "Rebel" might technically be the best song of the four. My only complaint is that the transition from the chorus to the verse riff again is just a little disjointed, but other than that I have no complaints. Also, the midsection has some of the best instrumental work the band has done, if you ask me.

I know I'm probably excited just because these songs are new to me, but fuck, these are some of my favorite songs the band has done. Though it's probably me being overly-happy that the band can still write kick-ass metal.

Last edited by makethemsuffer12; 12-14-2011 at 05:58 AM.
Old 12-14-2011, 07:35 AM
Rats off to ya

Quote:
Originally Posted by makethemsuffer12 View Post
I know I'm probably excited just because these songs are new to me, but fuck, these are some of my favorite songs the band has done.
By that do you mean just in the past 20 years?
Old 12-14-2011, 07:52 AM
Not a number, I'm a free man

I think these tracks sound better than the mix on DM too.
7/1 - Iron Maiden - Luxembourg
10/31 - Fleetwood Mac
Old 12-14-2011, 08:00 AM
I'm the ghoul of the medical profession

Quote:
Technically speaking, high quality vinyl has a larger frequency range (especially on the low end) than CDs do, although most humans would not be able to pick this up, especially without a really nice sound system. It's also a matter of the mastering used on modern CDs and vinyl, for some reason CDs are usually compressed to fuck and suffer significantly in an attempt to make them louder. There really isn't any technology gap...it's the same recordings and vinyl records have a wider range and can be more dynamic so if anything aside from the portability records are more high tech.

Minor audio differences are not really why most non-audiophiles buy records though, the experience of listening to a record is different that popping a CD in or playing your iPod, the art is at its full size, and as raveheart said vinyl has a warmer and more analog sound, as opposed to the more cold and digital vibe of MP3s.
Old 12-14-2011, 08:40 AM
Meanwhile, behind the facade of this innocent looking bookstore...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wizzbang11 View Post
Technically speaking, high quality vinyl has a larger frequency range (especially on the low end) than CDs do, although most humans would not be able to pick this up, especially without a really nice sound system. It's also a matter of the mastering used on modern CDs and vinyl, for some reason CDs are usually compressed to fuck and suffer significantly in an attempt to make them louder. There really isn't any technology gap...it's the same recordings and vinyl records have a wider range and can be more dynamic so if anything aside from the portability records are more high tech.

Minor audio differences are not really why most non-audiophiles buy records though, the experience of listening to a record is different that popping a CD in or playing your iPod, the art is at its full size, and as raveheart said vinyl has a warmer and more analog sound, as opposed to the more cold and digital vibe of MP3s.
All of this, plus, very simply, I want something for my money. Not a digital copy of something.

7/9 Pentagram
16/9 Richie Kotzen
19/9 Kamchatka
Old 12-14-2011, 07:32 PM
Homebrewing Metalhead

Quote:
To be honest, I've never taken temperature into consideration when judging audio But please, elaborate if you will...
Vinyl is awesome but I'm not schilling it, lets face it, the format is all but dead. Aside from audiophiles and collectors most people don't follow it anymore.

In regards to the statement above, not to be a dick but the fact that you don't get what he is saying sorta proves my point. Thats not a knock. But its not bullshit. Ravenheart is 100% correct btw. Its a warmer sound. Think of it in comparison to the older Marshall Tube amps that alot of guitarists love so much. Or Tubes vs Solid State in general.

Also not everyone can hear this stuff, that doesn't mean its not there. Again thats not a insult, its just the way it is.

We miss you Ronnie...