Home Set Lists Forums The Permanent Record Asshole Opinion

Deafheaven -- Toronto, Ontario -- September 19th, 2014
DragonForce -- Aberdeen, Scotland -- September 18th, 2014
Electric Light Orchestra -- London, England -- September 14th, 2014
Skeletonwitch -- West Springfield, VA -- September 12th, 2014
KISS -- Lake Oswego, OR -- September 14th, 2014

Old 12-14-2011, 09:43 PM
Hagbard Celine, H.M., S.H.

Holy shit I can't believed I missed out on this. I just listened to all of the "Fly From Here" suite, and damn, excellent stuff.

This definitely would've made my list if I'd known about it.

Great pick.
Old 12-16-2011, 08:52 PM
HEY! LISTEN!

Good to know I "helped" someone!

KMFDM - WTF?!

You can sort of tell from the album title, but this album is very KMFDM. With WTF?! the German industrial group bring the Ultra Heavy Beat just as hard as ever. Their style remains somewhat generic, yet completely unique to themselves (I guess because no one blends typical electronic music with typical metal quite like they manage to). It's a little bit more guitar and riff-oriented this time around, but that doesn't change much of the formula. Somehow they keep marching on as they always do, and they (and their music) manages not to get tired in any way.

There are moments when they stray from their trademark sound, especially the closing number which is quite slow and somewhat trippy. The odd part is that the strongest songs still are the most typical ones, because they just pull them off so damn well. They sometimes sound like metal (or heavy rock I suppose) with a high amount of synths, or dancey electro with sick riffs. It's tough to discern really! It's just another great album that is pretty dark sounding, while being simultaneously danceable and headbangable. In my eyes, that's good shit.

Recommended song:
"Amnesia"

I was going to post another song but I can't seem to find many on youtube, sorry. Well chances are you've heard this if you're into it.
Old 12-16-2011, 10:50 PM
HEY! LISTEN!

As I'm getting a bit tired of the economic discussion of how Tom G Warrior's semen equates to roughly 200 euros, I'm going to continue with the next entry in my list.

Megadeth - TH1RT3EN

Depite me ranking it pretty damn high, I have to come out and say that this album is quite a disappointment. Half of that may be the fact that it has one of the worst album titles of all time, but a more notable half of it is the obvious rushedness of the albums music. I mean, a pretty damn decent amount of songs on this album is music that Megadeth fans have known for YEARS, as previous bonus tracks. And the album lacks the musical depth and complexity that other Megadeth works have. And it makes sense, as Megadeth's last album for Roadrunner, they just want to get the fuck out of being on that label.

Now, I know I just said a lot of bad things, but really those are just reasons why this album is number 16 instead of in the top 10 like their last album, Endgame, was. Every song on this album is good. Some are even awesome. It's not as thrashy as Endgame, but still quite reminiscent of Countdown to Extinction, rather than a legitimately bad Megadeth album like Risk. And even though I complain about the inclusion of old songs, they are all really good songs and seem to fit rather well on the album stylistically. As per usual Dave Mustaine flair, the lyrics in more political subjects tend to dive into "wtf r u talkin bout bro" territory - and as usual this still fails to take away from the song.

Perhaps this album is a testament to Dave Mustaine's strength when it comes to songwriting. Even on a rather obviously rushed release, where it's arguably "phoned in," the songs turn out to be pretty awesome. Or maybe it's just a testament to how much I personally mesh with his songwriting style. Either way it's a testament to something, and I like that.

Recommended songs:
"Sudden Death"
"Public Enemy No. 1"
Old 12-16-2011, 10:58 PM
Buahahahahaha

Quote:
Originally Posted by SomewhereInTime72 View Post
As I'm getting a bit tired of the economic discussion of how Tom G Warrior's semen equates to roughly 200 euros, I'm going to continue with the next entry in my list.

Anywho, I thought th1rt3en was a disappointment and nothing more. There are maybe two songs that I like on the album.
10/30 KING DIAMOND
11/06 Intronaut
Old 12-16-2011, 11:38 PM
SADISTIC, MAGICIAN

That KMFDM record is on my list to check out still, hopefully get around to it soon!

I genuinely did not enjoy 13, but for obvious reasons I can forgive it!
Old 12-17-2011, 01:08 AM
Not a number, I'm a free man

Like I've said before, Thirteen is a great record.
7/1 - Iron Maiden - Luxembourg
10/31 - Fleetwood Mac
Old 12-17-2011, 07:49 AM
Somewhere Back In Time

Quote:
Originally Posted by IrritatedTrout View Post
Like I've said before, Thirteen is a great record.
Old 12-17-2011, 08:19 AM
Bitch, shut up and blast beat my meat like a Pete Sandoval with titties.

I like Thirteen a lot more than Endgame

1/19- Despise You
1/21- Castle
2/14- Hatebreed
3/16- AILD
Old 12-17-2011, 07:52 PM
HEY! LISTEN!

Red Hot Chili Peppers - I'm With You

It seems every list has that one sort of 'pop' album on it. The one you don't necessarily feel good about liking, but you have to include it anyway because you do like it goddammit! I'm With You is basically that album for me. With the departure of John Frusciante, and the induction of a new guitarist, the members of RHCP kept saying that this album was a sort of reinvention for them and things of that nature. I'll just say that that is absolutely false and this album basically sounds the same as they have sounded since Californication. But in my opinion that isn't a bad thing.

In fact this album manages to avoid a lot of the traps that recent RHCP albums have fallen into, such as when what was a potentially great album -Stadium Arcadium was bogged down by too many songs (and thus too many mediocre songs), and By The Way had long stretches of songs where nothing exciting happened. This doesn't happen here. The songs are in no way inspired or particularly creative, but they do a good job in the soft-rock-that-sometimes-remembers-funk-roots niche that RHCP have been known for. I happen to like that style, and this album works better for it than most, so it can't be helped that I would like I'm With You this much. Very fun listen.

Recommended songs:
"The Adventures of Rain Dance Maggie"
"Police Station"

Last edited by SomewhereInTime72; 12-28-2011 at 09:51 AM.
Old 12-18-2011, 08:42 PM
HEY! LISTEN!

Hiromi - Voice

Hiromi Uehara is without a doubt my favorite modern Jazz musician. Her talent as a pianist/keyboardist is overwhelming and obvious. And her style draws lots of influence from Fusion bands, particularly calling to mind Return To Forever (to the degree that she has worked with members of RTF on occasion), but also shows flashes of rock, funk and classical sounds - all revolving around a deliciousy chewy jazz center. Voice is sort of a "back to the roots" jazz album, with just a trio of bass, drums, and grand piano playing the entire album.

In this album, the piano very much takes the main stage, though the other instruments are appropriately played with varying vigor and minimality. (Weird fact, the drums are played by Simon Phillips, the very same studio drummer from Priest's classic Sin After Sin.) There is a very calm vibe throughout this album, and I think it really fills you with a warm feeling when you listen to it. Even in the moments when certain instruments get rather frantic (and Hiromi's piano often does), the song as a whole just feels really soothing. This album maintains a brilliant balance of excellent musicianship and beautiful melodies.

Can't find any clips from the album on youtube, so I apologize for not being able to include any.

Last edited by SomewhereInTime72; 12-28-2011 at 09:50 AM.