Cormorant -- San Francisco, CA -- December 20th, 2014
Opeth -- Toronto, Ontario -- December 21st, 2014
It Lies Within -- Flint, MI -- December 21st, 2014
Pig Destroyer -- Philadelphia, PA -- December 20th, 2014

Go Back   WWW.METALSETLISTS.COM > Community Forums > Album Reviews

Old 12-19-2011, 08:05 PM
Rats off to ya

5. Tom Waits - Bad As Me

This is probably the biggest surprise on my list. Tom Waits is the most unique artist I've gotten into recently. I decided to put a few of his albums that my dad owned on my computer and I fell in love with his music. I love all the variation on his albums and all the crazy voices he does. Then I heard about his new album and saw it getting good reviews all over so I checked out a few songs and decided to pick it up. It may not be one of the best in his discography but this is a great fucking album and Tom's still got it at the age of 62. Tom Waits isn't for everybody. When my older brother heard the 2nd track Raised Right Men he thought it was one of the worst things he's ever heard and didn't believe I could actually listen to this. On some songs like Raised Right Men, Bad As Me, Satisfied, and Hell Broke Luce Tom will turn some listeners off with his insane vocals. There's so many great tracks on here I couldn't just pick 3. I recommend you guys check out Hell Broke Luce which is probably the closest Tom will come to metal on this album. Another fantastic album by one of the greatest singer/songwriters alive.

Recommended tracks: (I can't choose only 3 for the top 5 albums so I'm listing 5)
Bad As Me
Satisfied
Kiss Me
Face to the Highway
Hell Broke Luce
Old 12-19-2011, 08:18 PM
Metal Setlists Elitist Committee

Quote:
Originally Posted by BloodoftheKings View Post
6. Red Fang - Murder the Mountains

When I first picked up this record around the time it first came out I instantly enjoyed but I honestly didn't expect it to be this high on my end of the year list. This record just got better every time I listened to it. Red Fang are heavily influenced by Mastodon and Kyuss but they are far from being rip offs. These guys have a distinct personality to them that differs from the bands they draw influence from. The more I listened my favorite track kept changing. Instantly my favorite was the lead single "Wires" but now my favorite song has got to be "Dirt Wizard". When that song kicks is my favorite moment on this album . I consider this my underdog album of the year.

Recommended tracks:
Dirt Wizard
Wires
Human Herd
Great pick!
Old 12-19-2011, 08:43 PM
and you can never quarantine the past

Yeah, I think Waits' voice is love it-or-hate it with most people. I'm part of the latter.
Old 12-19-2011, 08:45 PM
Rats off to ya

Quote:
Originally Posted by larvtard View Post
Yeah, I think Waits' voice is love it-or-hate it with most people. I'm part of the latter.
Old 12-19-2011, 09:08 PM
not the mama

I think he has the manliest voice there ever has been.
Old 12-20-2011, 06:16 AM
Rats off to ya

4. Beastie Boys - Hot Sauce Committee Part 2

It amazes me how great of an album the Beastie Boys were able to put out after all the complications. The sound of Hot Sauce Committee Part 2 is kind of like a modernized version of Hello Nasty. The first 5 tracks on this album are some of the best hip hop I've heard in a long time. That's not to say that the tracks after that are weak. I'm not a huge fan of the reggae influenced single Don't Play a Game That I Can't Win but it doesn't bog down the album too much. Possibly my favorite track is the punk number Lee Majors Come Again. It's also good to hear that the guys are still lyrical geniuses. Nonstop Disco Powerpack is the real highlight lyrically. This is by far the best thing they have put out since Hello Nasty.

And if you haven't seen the "Fight For Your Right Re-visited" video I highly recommend it.

Recommended tracks:
Make Some Noise
Nonstop Disco Powerpack
Ok
Say It
Lee Majors Come Again
Old 12-20-2011, 06:23 AM
Rats off to ya

3. Primus - Green Naugahyde

Read my track by track review here.

Recommended tracks:
Last Salmon Man
Trajedy's a Comin'
Jilly's On Smack
Lee Van Cleef
Extinction Burst
Old 12-20-2011, 12:13 PM
Hagbard Celine, H.M., S.H.

Never really could get in to Tom Waits.
Old 12-20-2011, 05:59 PM
Rats off to ya

2. Mastodon - The Hunter

There isn't much I can say about this album that hasn't already been said. To me the new Mastodon is different in the sense that it doesn't have the epic feel of the previous albums and the songs sound more like they were made to be singles. This isn't necessarily a bad thing cause this record is really, really, good. Every track on here is fucking great. I know a lot of people were bitching about this song but I even like Creature Lives. I'm not as crazy about Curl of the Burl as some people are but it's still pretty awesome. It's really hard to pick a favorite track from this one. I'd say it's between All the Heavy Lifting, Dry Bone Valley, and Spectrelight at the moment. Another great one from Mastodon, this band can do no wrong. *knock on wood*

Recommended tracks:
Dry Bone Valley
Spectrelight
All the Heavy Lifting
Thickening
Black Tongue
Old 12-20-2011, 06:25 PM
Rats off to ya

1. The Devin Townsend Project - Deconstruction

Sorry atheist but there is a god and his name is Devin Townsend. As The Devin Townsend Project Devy made 2 albums that were by far the best albums of the year they were released (Addicted in 2009 being the other one). Deconstruction is Devy's most insane, most over the top record to date. He brings out tons of guest including Ihsahn, Mikael Akerfeldt, Oderus Urungus, Tommy Rogers, and more to create one giant prog metal epic about a man who embarks on a journey for the secrets of the universe only to find it lies in a cheeseburger which he can't eat because he's a vegetarian. Hearing that you shouldn't even have to listen to it to know it's album of the year. This album clocks in at 70 minutes but feels like it's over in 30 because it's so entertaining. At times all the shit going on at the same time can be overwhelming so your going to have to attentive while listening to this, definitely not music to put on when your trying to relax after a hard days work. Another thing I love about this album is all the little details he throws in. I've heard this plenty of times already and i'm still picking out new things I've never noticed before. I knew around the 2nd time I spun this album that it would be my album of the year. I highly doubted anything would come close, not even Primus and Mastodon. This one was a clear winner.

Recommended tracks:
The Mighty Masturbator
Stand
Juular
Planet of the Apes
Deconstruction

Stay tuned for More Fun Stuff!