System Of A Down -- Inglewood, CA -- December 13th, 2014
Despised Icon -- Montreal, Quebec -- December 13th, 2014
Nonpoint -- Flint, MI -- December 13th, 2014

Go Back   WWW.METALSETLISTS.COM > Community Forums > Album Reviews

Old 12-13-2011, 06:54 PM
Rats off to ya

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShatteredFlame View Post

Have you heard Pianos Become the Teeth? You may like them since you like La Dispute and somewhat (?) liked Touche Amore.
I'll definitely get around to checking out that band. I liked the Touche Amore album, I just didn't listen to it enough to put it on the list.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Epidemic Reign View Post
as I said in the La Dispute blurb. I originally wrote it in as 16. I just went back and fixed it.
Old 12-13-2011, 07:10 PM
and you can never quarantine the past

Quote:
Originally Posted by BloodoftheKings View Post
14. La Dispute - Wildlife

Wow. Me from 2 years ago would never have thought that one day in the near future i'd rank a post hardcore album as one of the years best releases. As little as a year ago I would avoid anything with the post-hardcore/emo/screamo label like the plague but it's something I've really warmed up to recently. When looking for new stuff to listen to I saw this ranked very highly on rym at one point and decided to give it a listen and surprisingly I dug this album on my first listen. This is one of the few non rap albums I've heard where I found the lyrics to be the best part of the music. The lyrics here aren't typical emo whining. La Dispute like to tell stories with their music. Sad, tragic, depressing stories. In a good way, this album could ruin my day. The real standout track here is King Park. It tells the tragic tale of a little kid getting killed in a drive by shooting and the guilt the killer has to deal with.

When I first started drafting this blurb I had this album at 16 then listening to it again and writing about it made me bump it up 2 spots. Really great album.

Recommended tracks:
King Park
Harder Harmonies
St. Paul Missionary Baptist Church Blues
Fuck yeah, I didn't know they had a new album! Thanks dude!

Yeah, I'm the same way - "screamo" has such a negative tag nowadays but bands like Touche Amore, La Dispute, Circle Takes the Square, and Orchid are actually fantastic. I'm addicted to this genre now.
Old 12-14-2011, 07:34 PM
Rats off to ya

13. Dropkick Murphys - Going Out in Style

This held my number one spot for a majority of the first half of 2011. I think this might just be their strongest effort to date. With this album the Dropkick Murphys deliver some of their catchiest and most memorable material. Supposedly this is a concept album about the life of a a fictional character the band members made up that's based off stories of their ancestors that have been passed down to them but I can't really hear any kind of a story in these lyrics. They bring out some guest on this album including Bruce Springsteen on the song Peg O' My Heart and a completely pointless Fat Mike appearance on the title track (he only says about 5 words). Another one of my favorites on this disc is Sunday Hardcore Matinee where they recall the glory days of hardcore punk and reference several hardcore bands (much like NOFX has done in like, 20 of their songs). If you wan't to hear some fun, upbeat celtic punk, look no further.

Recommended tracks:
Going Out in Style
Peg O' MY Heart
Sunday Hardcore Matinee
Old 12-14-2011, 07:57 PM
Rats off to ya

12. Death Grips - Exmilitary

If there's anything I love about finding new music it's when I find something completely new unlike anything I've ever heard before. Death Grips are one of the most unique and original hip hop groups I've ever heard. I saw the needledrop review for this pop up on my youtube feed and the album cover caught my attention so I took a quick look at the review. One of the first things Anthony Fantano said in that review was "a lot of you are going to hate this" so I knew I had to check this out. My first reaction was "well this is pretty fuckin weird" but instead of just closing it and going on with my day I moved on to the rest of the mixtape and my opinion progressed from "this is fucked up" to "this is interesting" to "this is fucking awesome". Every friend I've ever showed this to had very negative feelings towards it and didn't believe me when I said I actually liked it. I would go more into detail about what this album sounds like but I think i'll let it speak for it's self.

You can download this for free at the Death Grips website: http://thirdworlds.net/exmilitary.php

Recommended tracks:
Beware
Takyon (Death Yon)
I Want It I Need It (Death Heated)
Old 12-15-2011, 06:50 AM
Rats off to ya

11. Vektor - Outer Isolation

At first I thought i'd leave this off the list because I didn't have enough time with it to rank it as one of the years best. I've listened to this thing a few times now and I think I've heard it enough to know it is one of the best albums this year. I never listened to Black Future aside from a couple of songs but I decided to check this out seeing all the hype it was getting. I won't go as far to say this is some of the best thrash metal ever written but it I think Vektor is worthy of all the praise they get. I think what makes Vektor unique is the whole sci-fi vibe to their music and the insane vocals of David DiSanto. At times this guy kind of sounds like a male version of Angela Gossow and his screams are reminiscent of Tom Araya in his prime. If your a fan of thrash their is no reason for you to not like this album.

Whole album streaming here: http://heavyartillery.bandcamp.com/a...uter-isolation

Recommended tracks:
Tetrastructural Minds
Dying World
Cosmic Cortex
Old 12-15-2011, 06:57 AM
Rats off to ya

How I feel getting into Vektor:

Old 12-15-2011, 06:47 PM
Rats off to ya

10. Revocation - Chaos of Forms

In my honest opinion Chaos of Forms is the best thrash album of 2011. Some may argue Revocation isn't thrash but i'd say of all the different styles they incorporate into their music thrash is probably the most prominent. Revocation like to mix it up a bit and throw tons of different sounds at you. This album has elements of tech death, black metal, traditional heavy metal, and some melodic parts that sound similar to Atheist. The way they blend all these different genres is what makes this band really awesome. On top of all this they can write some really catchy stuff. Dissolution Ritual is one of the catchiest metal songs I've heard all year. I haven't heard the first Revocation record but I think this one tops Existence is Futile. If you haven't listened to Revocation yet do your self a favor and start listening now. They are one of the most unique and refreshing bands to come out recently and i'd recommend them to any metal head.

Recommended tracks:
Cradle Robber
Dissolution Ritual
No Funeral
Old 12-15-2011, 06:51 PM
Altars of Radness

"Dethroned" is one of my favorite Revocation songs, but only half of the album stood out to me.
Old 12-15-2011, 07:00 PM
Altars of Radness

Quote:
Originally Posted by BloodoftheKings View Post
At times this guy kind of sounds like a male version of Angela Gossow
I actually thought the same thing.
Old 12-16-2011, 06:41 PM
Rats off to ya

9. Autopsy - Macabre Eternal

In this day and age there's tons of bands bringing back the old sounds of traditional heavy metal and thrash but we rarely hear new records that truly sound like old school death metal. As many have said the new Autopsy record sounds like it could have came out right after Mental Funeral. Around the same time Morbid Angel put out arguably the most disappointing death metal release of all time Autopsy delivered with a great record that has everything a death metal fan could ever ask for. These days most death metal is the same generic shit and this album is a reminder of what made this genre great in the first place. Not just a great comeback album for Autopsy, but also a great comeback album for old school death metal.

Recommended tracks:
Always About to Die
Dirty Gore Whore
Sadistic Gratification