Morbid Saint -- Riverview, MI -- August 30th, 2014
Third Eye Blind -- Royal Oak, MI -- August 30th, 2014

Go Back   WWW.METALSETLISTS.COM > Community Forums > Album Reviews

Old 12-10-2011, 09:56 PM
Hell Bent for Liquor

Quote:
Originally Posted by BloodoftheKings View Post
19. Havok - Time is Up

Havok aren't the most original thrash band to come out in recent years but they are sure as hell better then the average Exodus clone. To me Time is Up isn't just one of those new thrash albums that's only good for the novelty of having an old school thrash sound, I think if this was released in 87 it could possibly be considered a classic in the genre. Vocalist David Sanchez has one of the best thrash voices I've heard in any newer band. The guitar work on here is sick, and some of the songs are really catchy. I think I speak for many of us when I say the thrash revival has gotten boring but Havok does it right. I am very much looking forward to seeing these guys in February.

Recommended tracks:
Killing Tendencies
No Amnesty
Covering Fire
I'm gonna have to dig into this, that cover is old school as fuck
01.27 Dark Tranquillity
Old 12-11-2011, 05:07 AM
May you go marching in three-measure time, dressed up as asses and drunk to the nines...

Quote:
19. Havok - Time is Up

Havok aren't the most original thrash band to come out in recent years but they are sure as hell better then the average Exodus clone. To me Time is Up isn't just one of those new thrash albums that's only good for the novelty of having an old school thrash sound, I think if this was released in 87 it could possibly be considered a classic in the genre. Vocalist David Sanchez has one of the best thrash voices I've heard in any newer band. The guitar work on here is sick, and some of the songs are really catchy. I think I speak for many of us when I say the thrash revival has gotten boring but Havok does it right. I am very much looking forward to seeing these guys in February.

Recommended tracks:
Killing Tendencies
No Amnesty
Covering Fire
Yes! Great album! The fact that I haven't seen it on any of the millions of lists on this website makes me concerned for today's youth.
Old 12-12-2011, 10:58 AM
Rats off to ya

18. Fair to Midland Arrows & Anchors

I heard of Fair to Midland before but never bothered to check them out until I saw this album was getting positive reviews from all over and was highly ranked on rym. These guys have a pretty unique style. I think they are more alternative rock then metal but calling them alternative metal isnt too far off. Frontman Darroh Sudderth makes this band in my opinion. His vocals are pretty impressive and hes batshit crazy live. When I listen to this I feel like these guys should be bigger then they are. I could easily picture Musical Chairs being a hit song. Another standout track here is Rikki Tikki Tavi where Darroh uses his comical metal voice for most of the song. Id recommend this band to just about anybody, well maybe not trve black metal fans, but you know what I mean.

Recommended tracks:
Musical Chairs
Golden Parachutes
Rikki Tikki Tavi
Old 12-12-2011, 11:44 AM
Rats off to ya

17. Cannabis Corpse - Beneath Grow Lights Thou Shall Rise

To me the concept of Cannabis Corpse always seemed like a joke that went to far. Like a few guys were doing bong hits while listening to Cannibal Corpse and one guy said "hey guys, I Cum Bud" and they all started laughing, took the joke further, and eventually made it into a band. While this is a very stupid concept for a band the music is actually very good. I think this is their best album to date and I'd go as far to say this album smokes (pun intended) at least half of Cannibal Corpse's discography. Personally I'd like to see these guys move away from parody titles. IT seems they ran out of Cannibal Corpse songs to make fun of so they moved to Morbid Angel and Deicide titles. Some of them are pretty good but some of these titles are pretty lousy ("Dead by Bong", "Blame it on Bud"... come on guys). Song titles aside this album is killer and one of the best death metal releases this year.

Recommended tracks:
Immortal Pipes
Slave to the Chron
Sworn to the Bag
Old 12-13-2011, 01:12 AM
N00B

That Fair To Midland record is pretty good, super catchy. I agree about Daroh's vocals being the highlight of the band. Some of the heavy riffs sound super generic but still a solid band.
10/3 Anathema/ Alcest
10/4 Mark Lanegan
11/1 Dax Riggs
11/8 LOG/KSE
12/12 High on Fire
2/22 DT/OG
Old 12-13-2011, 05:07 PM
Rats off to ya

16. Anthrax - Worship Music

It's good to have Anthrax back. This isn't exactly a return to form for Anthrax since it's completely modern sounding, and doesn't really sound anything the classic albums with Joey Belladonna. Just like everyone else has stated before, this sounds like it was written with John Bush in mind. I still like the fact that Joey is back though. With this album Anthrax finally recovered from all the singer bullshit and put out their strongest album in over 15 years. This album isn't really thrash but that's ok. This album is chock-full of catchy and well written modern heavy metal with plenty of nice riffs and solos here and there. If you were looking forward to hearing an album reminiscent of Spreading the Disease and Among the Living you will be disappointed with this album but I think it should please most Anthrax fans.

Recommended tracks:
Fight em' til You Can't
The Devil You Know
I'm Alive
Old 12-13-2011, 05:19 PM
Rats off to ya

15. Motorhead - The World is Yours

I don't wanna hear any of that "it's a 2010 release" bullshit, the official cd wasn't available for purchase until 2011. Anyway this is another solid album from one of the most consistent bands in the history of heavy metal. The riffs on here are killer and Lemmy is still Lemmy. What more could you ask for from a Motorhead album? Long live Lemmy Kilmister!

Recommended tracks:
Born to Lose
Get Back in Line
Bye Bye Bitch Bye Bye
Old 12-13-2011, 05:21 PM
Rats off to ya

14. La Dispute - Wildlife

Wow. Me from 2 years ago would never have thought that one day in the near future i'd rank a post hardcore album as one of the years best releases. As little as a year ago I would avoid anything with the post-hardcore/emo/screamo label like the plague but it's something I've really warmed up to recently. When looking for new stuff to listen to I saw this ranked very highly on rym at one point and decided to give it a listen and surprisingly I dug this album on my first listen. This is one of the few non rap albums I've heard where I found the lyrics to be the best part of the music. The lyrics here aren't typical emo whining. La Dispute like to tell stories with their music. Sad, tragic, depressing stories. In a good way, this album could ruin my day. The real standout track here is King Park. It tells the tragic tale of a little kid getting killed in a drive by shooting and the guilt the killer has to deal with.

When I first started drafting this blurb I had this album at 16 then listening to it again and writing about it made me bump it up 2 spots. Really great album.

Recommended tracks:
King Park
Harder Harmonies
St. Paul Missionary Baptist Church Blues

Last edited by BloodoftheKings; 12-13-2011 at 05:52 PM.
Old 12-13-2011, 05:29 PM
not the mama

Have you heard Pianos Become the Teeth? You may like them since you like La Dispute and somewhat (?) liked Touche Amore.
Old 12-13-2011, 05:32 PM
Hell Bent for Liquor

Quote:
16. Anthrax - Worship Music
Quote:
15. Motorhead - The World is Yours
Quote:
16. La Dispute - Wildlife
01.27 Dark Tranquillity